The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jun 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,546 of 4,136
Quote:
What would you guys go for if you were going to almost always play video games (first person shooters).

Would you get the titanium HD or the ZxR?

Ive been reading that the ZxR has better components, but I dont think it has cmss-3d.  Im sorry if this has already been answered.

Im looking for overall sound quality as well as positioning.  Most likely will be going with a dt990 pro 250ohms

I'm still going to go with the X-Fi Titanium HD, as I can't imagine a card sounding dramatically better than that, and it has all the gaming features one could ask for.

Plus, it's a good deal cheaper than the ZxR in most places.

Quote:
I'm trying to capture the best possible sound positioning from BF2 into a video and i was wondering if any of you have any experience with this. I'm not sure what kind of audio codec I should record with, should I go with stereo or...

If you're aiming to capture what it sounds like over headphones with CMSS-3D Headphone or similar techs on and off, then stereo will do, since the final mix is just two channels anyway. Just make sure you use a codec that isn't too lossy.

Even if you were looking to capture audio in 5.1 or 7.1, you'd have a bigger problem in that most video streaming sites like YouTube only provide two-channel audio.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,547 of 4,136
I wouldn't hesitate at the price the Titanium x-fi hd  is selling for now [less than half price] >original cost £220/ $ 360. Mine works just fine. Creative made a large loss as many PC mags blasted it for being aimed at the Hi-Fi lovers rather than Gamers so not many bought it. Its the "bargain of the Century"-buy now! Remember to register it with Creative and download LATEST drivers.and you get a full audio system plug in.including Creative wave studio.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #1,548 of 4,136
Thank you for the advice! I kept searching and found where you thought the X-Fi would be better than the ZxR a few months ago. Good to know your opinion hasn't changed nameless. I just bought it. If I'm using dt990 pro, do I need an amp? If so, what would you recommend? O2, magni?

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,549 of 4,136
I'd try it without an amp at first. If you aren't satisfied, then consider an Objective2 or Magni.

I admit, I have no experience with either of those; my preference for Stax ensures I don't really look much into conventional headphone amps, for I only have so much to spend and electrostatics are expensive.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,551 of 4,136
I agree unless you need 5.1 analog, the Titanium HD would be a great choice over the ZXR other then ti being cheaper.  Then if you need a to power a headphone, then just get a headphone amp like it was mention.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #1,553 of 4,136
You plug the The Titanium HD's RCA output into one of the Matrix M-Stage RCA Inputs. You can still set the RCA out on the titanium HD to headphone and it will still come out of the RCA output on the sound card. This what I did when I had a Titanium HD and a Matrix M-Stage.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,554 of 4,136
So that's far right port on that Titanium HD picture? Still confused by what RCA cable i need - single RCA Plug/Plug M/M cable or something like single RCA Plug M to 2 RCA Plug/Plug M/M cable? If that's the latter i couldn't find anything like that on Monoprice.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #1,555 of 4,136
I'm starting to get really upset with my soundcard. I can't get virtual surround to work for my games at all. Hell, even hooked up my PLYR1 (the base has Dolby Headphone) to the laptop's optical out, and it still is clearly not Dolby Headphone, even after setting the sound settings to dolby digital...

What.

The soundcard is the Recond 3Di which has THX Tru Studio, just like the recond 3D usb I reviewed...

PC gaming... this is one major reason why i avoided it until now. So many stupid settings I have to adjust just to get it to work.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,556 of 4,136
I have a Xonar U1 usb and it works Dolby Headphone 7.1 with every game I have. Can't the Recom work over USB combined with Creatives software suite? I think the optical out is the problem. Or you messed up the windows setup for sound......

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,558 of 4,136
Hey guys, looking for some advice on a setup. I'm trying to build a reasonably cheap amp/dac setup that will take s/pdif coax or toslink inputs from my PC, Xbox 360 and PS4 (in future) and output to my Soundmagic HP100s while letting me quickly switch between sources. Problem so far is that most headphone amp/dacs have only one or no coax/toslink inputs. So far the best solution I can come up with is installing a Xonar DG in my PC to give me Dolby Headphone, then running toslink from that to a Beresford Bushmaster (2x coax and 2x toslink inputs) dac/amp. From there I can just plug in the Xbox (with coax mod) to the coax input and the PS4 to the other toslink input when I get it. The other option is to buy a more expensive soundcard with one coax and one toslink input and running the xbox/ps4 audio through my PC to a cheaper dedicated amp via USB. At the moment I'm leaning towards the first option which seems like it would involve less hassle when changing inputs, be a little more versatile and a generally more 'elegant' solution despite being more expensive. Or maybe there's an even better solution. Anyway I'd appreciate your input on this, not many people willing to give advice on this so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back