The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #3,947 of 4,136
BTW, https://us.creative.com/sxfi/

Anyone else excited to test this new chip from Creative called Super X-Fi, from all the genuine impressions you read below on the page in regards to CES (there's multiple YouTube videos out there too) all these people seemed genuinly impressed by it. Appearently something Creative has worked on in the background for many years, I don't remember if it was like 10 or whatever years I heard in an interview with the Creative CEO, something he has dreamed about to do for a long time. Appearently the people that were shown the demo, couldn't tell the Dolby Atmos speaker setup vs the headphones with Super X-Fi apart when switching between the speakers and headphones.

Good thing is that they'll also license this chip to other manufacturers and intend to sell most of the chips probably this way, if this means built-in to headphones or what we'll see but it will be pretty interesting. There is a small headphone dongle initially sold with this chip in it but I'll wait for traditional soundcard (USB or PCI-E based doesn't matter) personally before I'll give this a go.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #3,949 of 4,136
I've been following this since they've announced it last year, will definitely give it a try when it becomes available.
Same here for sure. BTW, What was the name of that product?

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #3,950 of 4,136
Yes, it does a stereo expand, aka reverb. Very obvious when you can compare with proper vss. And i'm talking about what games say.

The difference between decent virtual surround and crappy stereo expansion is glaringly obvious though. I'm getting virtual surround.

I did some testing last night where I went into the training area in overwatch, and recorded the audio of different actions, once with windows sonic for headphones enabled and another time with it off. I then put them into foobar abx test, and I couldn't tell the difference when switching between them. So either I ran into some strange bug, or it doesn't do anything.

To use the windows sonic for headphone algorithm, I think it is best to set windows to 7.1, 48khz, install equalizerapo and hesuvi, and select sonic.wav in hesuvi.

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3,951 of 4,136
Upgrading my AD700s to a K702 and some kind of amp. I currently have a Titanium HD and use CMSS-3D. Is there anything worth upgrading the Titanium HD to for positional audio in FPS games? Most of my time is spent in Battlefield/PUBG. I've heard the GSX 1000 is good as well as the SBZ card that uses SBX Pro.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #3,952 of 4,136
Hello everyone! Just a quick question, what whould be better for great surround and pin point positioning in games:
1. Asus xonar essense STX + beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm;
2. sennheiser game one + Sennheiser GSX 1000;

For some context: I have Asus xonar essense STX and Sennheiser 363d. Wanna change my headphones (too old) but don't have an options to listen all of the new one before buing (only shipment acoss the country).
Selling most of my pc parts for the upgrade, considering selling essense STX. Should I do that, or Asus xonar essense STX + beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm whould give me good suround for competitive gaming?

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3,953 of 4,136
Personally I had been using my SoundBlaster Zx and had been happy with the SBX Pro Studio Surround for headphones (had primarily been using my Hifiman HE-400i for gaming), but now I just use the SoundBlaster Zx to drive my speakers... the Audeze Mobius headphone launch got me interested in head tracking surround headphones and I traded in some headphones to 1More and picked up their Spearhead VRX (which also uses Waves NX head tracking technology like the Mobius, but isn't wireless at all). While the 1More software to configure things is a little rough around the edges, the headphones themselves and the technology works great. I play a lot of Overwatch, and not only is the experience of playing better, but I think it's helped my gameplay too (I can when someone is behind me with much greater ease, so I'm not getting flanked nearly as much, I can more easily locate opponents just by sound). I think it's worth considering a Waves NX headtracking headset if you're into competitive gaming on PC.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,954 of 4,136
Hello everyone! Just a quick question, what whould be better for great surround and pin point positioning in games:
1. Asus xonar essense STX + beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm;
2. sennheiser game one + Sennheiser GSX 1000;

For some context: I have Asus xonar essense STX and Sennheiser 363d. Wanna change my headphones (too old) but don't have an options to listen all of the new one before buing (only shipment acoss the country).
Selling most of my pc parts for the upgrade, considering selling essense STX. Should I do that, or Asus xonar essense STX + beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm whould give me good suround for competitive gaming?

The GSX 1000 is better for surround than the Xonar by quite a margin, but the DT 990s are probably better headphones than the Sennheiser game one. Personally I would pick the second option having used a Xonar and the GSX 1000.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #3,955 of 4,136
The GSX 1000 is better for surround than the Xonar by quite a margin, but the DT 990s are probably better headphones than the Sennheiser game one. Personally I would pick the second option having used a Xonar and the GSX 1000.

Yeah but what is the point after HeSuVi arrived? Its only software so you can choose between whatever surround effect that you like and whats best you can combine that with EQ modifications for your headset as well with Equalizer APO. There simply is no need for hardware solutions i feel after i tested HeSuVi. GSX 1000 on its own is just a very simple amp and so much worse than the Asus Essence STX. I have that card myself and run it with HD700 headset and its pretty amazing AND running GSX 1000 surround tech on top of it with HeSuVi software.

My advice is keep your STX card cause its amazing and get the DT 990's which have a great soundstage and google HeSuVi and set that up. No need to buy GSX 1000.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #3,957 of 4,136
By any chance did you try the GSX 1000 with a mic i was watching some youtube reviews and it seem to lower the quality of the mic. Wondering if the G6\G5 or an onboard sound card would be best for headphones and mic

thanks

Since the GSX1000 is not affected by motherboard components (static) it gives really clean sound but i still more recommend having a proper sound card and turn off mic boost in windows and rather just EQ boost your microphone through EqualizerAPO. Gives much better results than mic boosts.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,958 of 4,136
Since the GSX1000 is not affected by motherboard components (static) it gives really clean sound but i still more recommend having a proper sound card and turn off mic boost in windows and rather just EQ boost your microphone through EqualizerAPO. Gives much better results than mic boosts.

sorry i am a complete noob when it comes to this. Your recommedation would be to skip the GSX1000 and get a proper sound card? Something like sound blaster ZxR or SoundBlaster AE-5? thanks for the help

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #3,959 of 4,136
sorry i am a complete noob when it comes to this. Your recommedation would be to skip the GSX1000 and get a proper sound card? Something like sound blaster ZxR or SoundBlaster AE-5? thanks for the help

GSX1000 is good but if youre buying it only for surround there is option to do it through software like this:

ZxR is on another level than GSX1000. The amp is just so much better. I feel people have only been buying the GSX 1000 due to the surround tech but now you can just emulate it so ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back