The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Apr 24, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,896 of 4,136
Okay, my search-fu has failed me.  You guys are my best hope!

I got my Modi and SYS tonight.  I setup the SYS to switch between the Modi and the RCA out from the SB Omni.  This lets me A/B to hear the differences.  I figured out how to make the SPDIF Out the default device in Windows so that my Winamp and games and such output to it.  So far so good.

So my issue is that when I'm using the SPDIF output from the sound card, the SBX Studio stuff (including virtual surround) doesn't do anything.  If I swap the default back to the Speaker Out (RCA), the SBX stuff works fine. 

Now I know there's supposed to be a way to get this working and I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing.  Can someone help?

BTW, really enjoying the Modi for music. 
k701smile.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,897 of 4,136
You have to enable Send stereo to optical from the Z control panel so it will send the card features and stuff out of the optical. it should be the last thing in the control panel

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #2,898 of 4,136
  You have to enable Send stereo to optical from the Z control panel so it will send the card features and stuff out of the optical. it should be the last thing in the control panel

I don't see that option on the Omni control panel.  Sounds like I'm missing something really simple like that, I just can't find it...

EDIT - When I go to "Audio Device Selection" in the Omni control panel, it only shows "speakers" as an option.  It doesn't even let me select SPDIF.

EDIT2 - Oh jeez, I think I'm using an outdated version of the control panel.  Newest version has this handy dandy feature:  "~Added support for SBX effects and Scout Mode to audio output from S/PDIF-out"

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #2,899 of 4,136
Well ****balls, that did it.  Now I just need to make sure I have everything else setup correctly.

Windows is set to use SPDIF as the default device (which doesn't let me select my speaker setup).

Omni Control Panel is set to surround off.  I'll turn this on when I game?

Omni Control Panel is set to Headphones.  I set it to 5.1 also and I honestly don't hear a difference for playing music so I'm not sure what the proper setting for this.

Sound about right?

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #2,900 of 4,136
Yes that is correct, I don't know which player you use for music but if it's foobar or winamp, you can use asio/wasapi plugins that will bypass the windows mixer and play back the music without the dsp effects of the sound card. That way you don't have to disable the sound card settings or reneable them all the time.. It what I do with the DGX that I have.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2,901 of 4,136
Yes that is correct, I don't know which player you use for music but if it's foobar or winamp, you can use asio/wasapi plugins that will bypass the windows mixer and play back the music without the dsp effects of the sound card. That way you don't have to disable the sound card settings or reneable them all the time.. It what I do with the DGX that I have.

Ooooh I get it now. I was wondering why people used those plugins. Thanks.

So to confirm, I want the omni set to headphone, right?

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #2,903 of 4,136
Apr 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #2,904 of 4,136
Ooooh I get it now. I was wondering why people used those plugins. Thanks.

So to confirm, I want the omni set to headphone, right?

Just FYI, the surround processing is different for Speakers/RCA than headphones.

Sweet, thanks for the help!  Now I'll be able to pass the help along for the next noob to get one of these.  (I'm looking at you, @Evshrug
!)

*gulp*

May 2, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,905 of 4,136
Hi Guys,

Anybody knows what is the difference between Creative's "Scout Mode" and CMSS-3D? All i know is the scout mode is newer and i don't see any performance comparison between the two in my search. 

May 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,906 of 4,136
  Hi Guys,

Anybody knows what is the difference between Creative's "Scout Mode" and CMSS-3D? All i know is the scout mode is newer and i don't see any performance comparison between the two in my search.

My understanding is that Scout Mode is just an EQ thing.  You're probably thinking of SBX, which is their surround processing.  My understanding is that SBX is similar to the THX from their previous line.  There are youtube videos around where you can listen to the differences and decide for yourself which you like better...

May 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,907 of 4,136

My understanding is that Scout Mode is just an EQ thing.  You're probably thinking of SBX, which is their surround processing.  My understanding is that SBX is similar to the THX from their previous line.  There are youtube videos around where you can listen to the differences and decide for yourself which you like better...

Thanks.
wink_face.gif

Reading from this review on http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/creative-sound-blaster-z-pcie-sound-card-review/16668/3/
This was a feature previously introduced when the Recon 3D series was introduced, so I’m actually quite familiar with the feature. What scout mode does is increase the treble and mid response while decreasing the bass. This way, sounds such as gunfire and footsteps are enhanced while background music and other non-essential audio is minimized.

If i understand it correctly, i think this is an EQ controlled and not a 3D effect like CMSS-3D. I'll try to check some youtube videos.

May 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #2,910 of 4,136
I believe MLE said you couldn't even use Scout mode at the same time as the THX on the Recon3D.  So you gain some questionable value from the EQ, but lose your surround processing.  Terrible tradeoff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back