The mystery amp design...
Aug 29, 2001 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pineapples10

100+ Head-Fier
I posted the schematic of an amp one of my friends made for me a few weeks ago here on head-fi [go here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ight=recognize] . I had nothing to compare it to at the time...but I just received my CMOy from Thomas. I can hear subtle differences from both amps...neither besting the other one. The CMOY sems to have improved bass...but i cant hear some things in the background that i could with the "mystery machine". Im almost favoring the one my friend made. t could be that im just hearing things...but it doesnt seem right that a "text book" design as this one is...would sound better than a cmoy. Maybe someone more experienced could put one together and see how it sounds??

Aug 29, 2001 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 4
The amp you showen is similar to Apheared's 47 that uses Parralell opamps as an output stage. This results in More output Current than a cmoy, Morover since the Gain stage of your frends Amp Design is not Driving the Load Thermal Distortion is also alot lower than a cmoy. However those opamps your Frend uses IMHO are not as good as the OPA-132 cmoy uses. If you were to replace the opamps in your frends design with the BB types the sound of your frends amp will improve. Also if you replace the output Opamps with Buffers like the BUF-634 another type The sound will improve Futher.

Aug 29, 2001 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 4
hmmm....i will mention that to him and see what he can do...will doing all of these things improve the sound greatly, or subtely? thanks

Aug 29, 2001 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 4
IMHO using Buffers unsted of opamps will improve the sound alot. and with low impedance Phones quite alot in the Bass punch and Dynamics. also since those output Load sharing resistors can be removed with Buffers I think You will like the overall results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back