The Music that defines me....
Feb 14, 2006 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Zemo

500+ Head-Fier
So, the music that you most frequently listen to has a tendancy to define you...and everybody listens to something different!

Everyone list what artists they listen to most frequently (say, within' the last week)...I'd love to discover new music!

My list:
The Notwist
Mr. Scruff
The American Analog Set
The Shins
Four Tet
Jaga Jazzist

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 24
My most recent list includes...

The Mars Volta
Yes
Pink Floyd
Death Cab For Cutie
The American Analog Set
Radiohead
Porcupine Tree
John Mayer (say what you want, but he's an excellent guitar player!)

Oh, and it's nice you see you around Zemo!

580smile.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 24
Hmm, artists/composers I've been listening to a lot this week.

Frank Zappa
The Beatles
Jethro Tull
Rachmaninoff
John McLaughlin
Mike Oldfield
Todd Rundgren
Yes
Shostakovich

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 24
Here's an idea....though I'm not sure if it's legal....

If each person would reccomend a song from each artist they list, I could compile a "sampler album" for each person and host it....though, that's not RIAA friendly is it?

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
The Notwist
Four Tet

Those two would definately be on my list.
cool.gif

Others include...

James Brown
Tori Amos
Massive Attack
Asian Dub Foundation
Russian Futurists
The Be Good Tanyas
Iron & Wine
Elliot Smith
The Junior Boys

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 24
In recent times, the biggest part of my listening is occupied by bands like Califone, which could be described as electronically textured country folk blues with junkyard percussion and beat boxes, similar to the old style folk music that Harry Smith chronicled on his Anthology series, but with a more modern sound. Colorful, fragmented lyrics, with cinematographic type imagery. Songs like one of my favorites, "Electric Fence" from their 2nd EP on Road Cone, that you can download here.

Many more at their site in the link below ...

http://www.pastrysharp.com/pages/index7000.htm

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 24
my friends used to have a term.. "Jar Rock" - kind of difficult to describe, but we all knew what it was when we heard it. Basically, a type of music that I pretty much always liked..

When the editor for a local paper called to tell me about the cd's he had for me to review, he would say "man, I got some Jar rock for you"

So what is "Jar Rock?"

If any of you have heard old old Swirlies.. classic Jar Rock.

Any music done by anyone involved with the bands Failure or Medicine.. Jar Rock.

The main ingredients are: Very Catchy Tunes and Lots of Noise.

Some shoegazer falls into the category of Jar Rock. Also, certain bands of the indie rock scene in the early 90's... Remember old Polvo? mmmm yea.. Jar Rock.

But it goes back to Husker Du. Catchy and Noisy. Jar Rock.

Dinosaur Jr? Totally.

Do they include some dub like the Boo Radleys did? Even better.

So, in a nutshell, the type of music that I consider *mine* would be best represented by bands like Hum, early Mercury Rev, Bailter Space, Medicine, Sebadoh, and stuff of similar. This kind of stuff really represents an era of my life, and as such I don't really seach out newer bands in this vein, though I have been getting into The Super Furry Animals recently. They seem to hit on that old Jar Rock nerve just fine.

That's of course not to say that I don't like other types. I have a great fondness for the whole trip-hop and ambient dub scenes of the mid-to-late 90's as well. And of course, there's the whole stoner rock movement.

I guess the over-arching constant would be a psychedelic aspect.. from REM's MURMUR all the way up to The Arcade Fire.

Then there's Steely Dan. They're for the Audiophile in me.

And I still appreciate the finer metal bands. I've been really fascinated with Opeth recently.

I love Mahler too. Don't know if my love of Mahler relates to my love of the other stuff, but I don't appear to be the only one around here that loves both Opeth and Mahler.
smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 24
I haven't listened to enough music to know which music is best at 'defining' me. But Yuki Kajiura, she is great.

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 24
Perhaps I have multiple personality disorder , I listen to and enjoy a vast assortment of tunes .
From chamber music to techno and beyond.
This week Im hooked on old musicals.....Ray Bolger , "Once in love with amy" , ended the day with Tool "Forty Six plus 2" .....that would be a great musical soundtrack.
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 24
Steel Pulse(One of my all time favorite reggae artists)
Bob Marley
Slightly Stoopid
naS
Immortal Technique
Peter Tosh

Feb 14, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 24
The past week I have greatly enjoyed the new Devin Townsend record, Synchestra. I've also listened to last years Album Of The Year, Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by The Stars alot lately. Been spinning some Anathema as well. List of this week:

Devy
Sieges Even
Anathema
Opeth (of course, one look at my avatar and it becomes pretty obvious what type of music lover I am, hehe)
Porcupine Tree
Pendragon's latest, Believe
Riverside's latest. Polish prog band, they're so damn good it gives me the goosebumps.
Green Carnation's newest, The Accoustic Verses. Bloody excellent album!
Neal Morse
Marillion
Evergrey
Shadow Gallery
Pallas' newest, The Dreams of Men, excellent album!

Er ok, it's more but I'll stop for now.

Feb 14, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 24
If this stuff defines me, I must be nuts. Still, it's what I've listened to this week:

Bardo Pond
Black Dice
Black Forest, Black Sea
Charalambides
Chihei Hatakeyama
Christina Carter
Colleen
Currituck County
Double Leopards
The Fall
Fu****susha
Ghost