The Music of John Williams: 40 Years Of Film Music
Sep 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ztsen

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Anyone here also like John Wlliams?
Which one is your most favourite in The Music of John Williams: 40 Years Of Film Music?

Mine is RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Actually there is another John Williams but is Classical Guitar. lol. Both John Williams also my favourite.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 16
John Williams is one of my favorite composers. Film music or not. His music for the film Superman is presently my favorite. I'm especially in love with "The Fortress of Solitude" music from that film.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 16
Certainly the most notable composer in recent years. I quite enjoy all of his work really, but specifically remember the 'theme' for Jurassic Park.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 16
John Williams is not my favorite film composer, but I do listen to a GALORE of soundtrack music, from both films and games, and I compose/arrange in the genre as a passion of mine. But Star Wars is just pure epic composition.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Williams is not my favorite film composer, but I do listen to a GALORE of soundtrack music, from both films and games, and I compose/arrange in the genre as a passion of mine. But Star Wars is just pure epic composition.

What are some of your favorite movie soundtracks?

OT : I haven't listened to John Williams outside of the context of the movies his music belongs to, but for me a huge part of Star Wars is the music. It is incredible.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 16
I just saw him conduct at the Hollywood Bowl. He's a great composer. I didn't realize he was a well-known jazz pianist who worked as a studio music - notably with Henry Mancini. when you hear someone pounding out the famous "Peter Gunn" theme, dum, dum, dum, dum ...... dum, dum, dum dum. That's John Williams banging the piano! I thought his score for A.I.: Artificial Intelligence was beautiful. He's done so much, more than you realize!

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are some of your favorite movie soundtracks?

OT : I haven't listened to John Williams outside of the context of the movies his music belongs to, but for me a huge part of Star Wars is the music. It is incredible.

Recently, The Dark Knight Soundtrack (Zimmer+James Newton Howard), Transformers (Steve Jablonsky), Angels and Demons (Zimmer), Iron Man (Ramin Djawadi), Any Narnia film (although my favorite is the 1st one, all by Gregson-Williams).

One of my particular favorites, is the Crimson Tide soundtrack (Zimmer).
YouTube - Crimson Tide - Theme

Alright, let me just list my favorite Zimmer OSTs...

Gladiator, Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code, The Last Samurai, King Arthur, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight (w/James Newton Howard), Pirates Of the Caribbean (2 & 3, since Badelt did the 1st one)

Also, LOTR series (Howard Shore) is classic, as well as the Harry Potter film OSTs (I believe that John Williams did this)

And I haven't even started to list game soundtracks, yet...

I feel the urge to note the distinction between Soundtrack and Score...

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 16
I guess I've become tired of John Williams. I am forever grateful to him for restoring the symphonic treatment to movies, and Star Wars was certainly a great score. But I've heard, and played, that music so many times I just don't care anymore. He has a great sense of style for film music, and he should, having played piano in LA studio orchestras under some of the greats. You can also hear him playing piano on the sound track of Franz Waxman's Peyton Place. I think my favorite score is probably for Dracula. Very romantic and powerful. But he's a lousy conductor and was a terrible choice to follow Arthur Fiedler, but then, could anyone fill his shoes?

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 16
I really appreciate his music. He is likely my favourite film composer, for consistency if nothing else (though his music is entirely epic and also fragile when need be, great stuff).
Among my favourites that I own:

Far and Away
Star Wars
Superman
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Close Encounters
Schindler's List
War of the Worlds
Born on the Fourth of July
Home Alone
His Olympics works
Elegy for Cello and Piano
Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra
Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra
Concerto for Cello and Orchestra

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 16
Is it the one of '28 Weeks Later'?
That soundtrack is great, not well known though...

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 16
If you guys haven't heard them, try and get a hand on the John Williams stuff that the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra has done. They have an album that is just the music of Star Wars, and an album that is a broad selection of John Williams film themes - they are really excellent recordings.

I grew up on the Superman movies, so I'll have to go with the Superman music for my favorite John Williams effort, but countless others are truly excellent of course.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw him conduct at the Hollywood Bowl. He's a great composer. I didn't realize he was a well-known jazz pianist who worked as a studio music - notably with Henry Mancini. when you hear someone pounding out the famous "Peter Gunn" theme, dum, dum, dum, dum ...... dum, dum, dum dum. That's John Williams banging the piano! I thought his score for A.I.: Artificial Intelligence was beautiful. He's done so much, more than you realize!

I really have no idea, he is a jazz panist. @@

I love about his work because related to movie easy to imagine when listening. eg, star war, when the x-wing attacks... when is good guys're coming, bad guys....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back