The Moth S2A3...has landed!
Feb 10, 2007 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
I have graduated from my good ole Eddie Current HD-25 to the beautiful Moth S2A3. I got some great time with her yesterday and today, and really feel that it was a huge step up. The first thing to really hit me was the bass, it now feels like it goes a whole octave and a half lower than the HD-25. Great impact, body, and weight, significantly more than the hd-25. The level of detail was startling, and the proverbial "hearing things for the first time" was definitely felt. The midrange is transparent and open, with a hear through/see through quality to it, as if a light is being shined from within, highlighting all the content within the recording. Some pics:

Overall angles:

overall.JPG

angle.JPG

moth_s2a3_-_overall.JPG

Close up of the tube portholes

tube_portholes.JPG

Close up of the cool little banana switch for the power

front_button.JPG

Tubes used are the TJ Full Music 2A3's

tubes.JPG

Closeup of the tubes - notice the mesh construction

tube_closeup.JPG

This is my favorite - the moth emblem. Tons of detail paid into the whole chassis and design, but this tops the cake. This particular emblem is laser etched into the top plate, other versions have the emblem on a badge which is then riveted to the top plate

emblem.JPG

These pictures don't do it full justice though. The top plate on the chassis has a beautiful coat on it, very reflective and shiny, almost like a brand new paint job.

Drives my moth cicadas very nicely as well. Plenty of guts and power, no hint of distortion or clipping as of right now. My room is small though and I don't listen too loud, so it's been great so far.

The HP-1000's sound so freaking amazing with her, the sound is just right there. Smooth, warm, full bodied, with tons of detail. My vintage RS-1's sounds just as nice, and the GS-1000 is definitely no slouch either. Not a hint of microphonics either, and the speakers are dead silent.

Overall, I would say I am a happy camper
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 121
You're a lucky man! I heard that very amp at its prior home, and it is a beauty. I just received a Moth 300b Paradigm and will try it out for the first time this weekend. Can't wait.

Enjoy!

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're a lucky man! I heard that very amp at its prior home, and it is a beauty. I just received a Moth 300b Paradigm and will try it out for the first time this weekend. Can't wait.

Enjoy!

Ah, was that the Moth paradigm on audiogon? I was thinking really really hard on that one. Originally I was going to keep the HD-25, and use that as a pre with the 300b to drive my cicadas. But when the moth 2a3 popped up I liked the prospect of a single integrated amp driving both my headphones and cicadas. I think the extra watts from the paradigm would have really helped flesh out more bottom end on my cicadas, but I am very pleased with the sound that I am getting with the s2a3 and the cicadas.

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 121
For some reason this amp has always held a strange and inexplicable allure for me. I don't know why, because I've never heard one and will (probably) never own one. Every time I see a thread pop up though I have to go read it and drool, even as I realize that some lucky person other than myself is gonna besleeping with the insect tonight.
biggrin.gif
Congrats on a beautiful and singular piece of gear man.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooh, I almost forgot. Billy is responsible and deserves full credit for the pictures above. Thanks!

Nice pictures Mr. TT Jr.

JC

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 121
Ryan: Congrats on an amazing amp, and let me thank you for getting it out of Florida - at least now my lust and yearning will be across a great distance, and I can rationalize not having it.

I wish you many hours, days, months, and years of joy from your new squeeze.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 121
What a beautiful rig. I hope you get many years of great music from it.

Given how scarce these are, does anyone know of a similar SET amp in current production? One that uses one of the great tubes, like the 300B, 2A3 or 45? Or maybe some schematics for a nice SET with these tubes? I'd love to have something like this. The Zana Deux looks great, but it's designed as a headphone amp/linestage, and I'd prefer something that would also drive efficient speakers.

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #15 of 121
Howdy all,

Been away from the forums for quite a while...

Anyway, nice score recstar. Did Tyrion sell you his unit?

Gotta love the original s2A3. IIRC it has the retro cloth-covered power cable too, right?

Any more impressions coming? I'd love to hear more about its synergy with your Grados...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back