The most overrated female vocalists
Feb 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #91 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most female opera singers - usually you can't hear the words, because they think that singing opera is lots of vibrato, and pay no attention to the real meaning of the text. You just hear "garble, garble, garble" and lots of vibrato.
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean, I think at least with Italian opera, the singing actually sounds the way the language should be spoken... and is a GREAT way to learn the language (well if you want to speak like a pre 19th century Italian! lol)

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #94 of 107
Well, vocalist isn't necessarily equated to singer. At least not speaking of technical skill. Beyonce has a very powerful voice but I don't often like what she does with it (as someone said, lots of gale force yelling and unneccesarry noodling going on). Lady GaGa may not have this awe-inspiring voice or operatic technical ability but she seems to have an instinct for expressing herself with it. Ra ra ra-ah-ah. It may sound silly to some but her willingness to experiment makes her both entertaining and fresh to me.

Jewel also is not the best singer, technically speaking. Especially back in the day when she had a tendency to sound like Kermit the frog and bounce between trying to sing way too deep and way too high. BUT she is very, very expressive and tends to put a lot of emotion in her songs. Particularly the song Standing Still stands out with the line in the second chorus "Or am I standing still, out of the corner of my eye? Was that you passing me by?". The way she gets kind of raspy at "was that you" really expresses her exasperation and exhaustion well. Also, it really works in a way on the second repetition of the chorus that wouldn't be as effective on the first.

It's little things like that that endear me to a vocalist. Making most of America's Idols and all the worlds opera singers and divas overrated to me.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #99 of 107
Noting like a good "man on the street thread" to generate humor. Define overrated. Record sales? Grammys? HFer love?

For everyone who posts a singer they feel is overrated (Joplin overrated? Okay.), someone would say that at least one of their (the posters') favorite singers/vocalists/performers are overrated as well. What's the point?

Much like Joplin, I think Tom Waits is an original. Technically, he can't "sing," but no matter to me. Neither can Bob Dylan. On the flip side, to say Krall, Barber, etc., can't sing or are overrated is pretty silly. Sure, you may not like them, but they can sing and are so far from the pop performers mentioned on this thread it's ridiculous. To be overrated, you first have to be rated. Krall, Barber and even Tori Amos are not even a blip on the "rated" radar, so how can they be overrated.

Hey, I dislike the entire Miley Cyrus act/schtick, but saying she's an overrated singer has me in a laughing spasm. Miley, Beyonce, Madonna ... it's not about the singing folks, it's about filling the seats and the bank account. In fact, it almost has nothing to do with singing, in a way. It's performance art, for specially selected market segments is all.

I am sure there are people out there who think Lady Day had a crappy voice too. Waiting for that vote.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #100 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Janis Joplin - It always amazes me how the memory is usually far more grand then the actuality. She was part of a culture, and it's the culture that is forever embraced. As for her singing, she would be kicked of American Idol during the first episode.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and Celine Dione SUCKS!

I'm one of those who never embraced the culture of the 60s or hippies or whatever, but still like Janis Joplin's music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, any female vocalist who uses obscene amounts of melisma to get from point A of any given melody to point B. Somehow the use of ornament has become associated with talent, but it is no different from an instrumentalist littering a passage with chops. You could name any number of pop singers who do it......

Agreed. Is it fair to blame Whitney Houston for this? I guess the days of a female singer -holding- a note (like Linda Ronstadt did in Faithless Love for example)are gone for now anyway.
frown.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #102 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noting like a good "man on the street thread" to generate humor. Define overrated. Record sales? Grammys? HFer love?

For everyone who posts a singer they feel is overrated (Joplin overrated? Okay.), someone would say that at least one of their (the posters') favorite singers/vocalists/performers are overrated as well. What's the point?

Much like Joplin, I think Tom Waits is an original. Technically, he can't "sing," but no matter to me. Neither can Bob Dylan. On the flip side, to say Krall, Barber, etc., can't sing or are overrated is pretty silly. Sure, you may not like them, but they can sing and are so far from the pop performers mentioned on this thread it's ridiculous. To be overrated, you first have to be rated. Krall, Barber and even Tori Amos are not even a blip on the "rated" radar, so how can they be overrated.

Hey, I dislike the entire Miley Cyrus act/schtick, but saying she's an overrated singer has me in a laughing spasm. Miley, Beyonce, Madonna ... it's not about the singing folks, it's about filling the seats and the bank account. In fact, it almost has nothing to do with singing, in a way. It's performance art, for specially selected market segments is all.

I am sure there are people out there who think Lady Day had a crappy voice too. Waiting for that vote.

I see under your user name BANNED geeze , seemed like a nice person to me.

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #104 of 107
Madonna and Jennifer Lopez clearly can't sing, so i'm voting for them. on the other hand, i find Beyonce, Celine Dion and Christina Aguilera to be great singers but don't listen to them because it's not my cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back