THE MOST IMPORTANT THREAD EVER 4 men
Jul 22, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 107
Tricks that always work for me with anyone are:

1. Look how much money I saved! (Bargain gambit)
2. Look what I bought you! (Play to vanity)
3. Have you lost weight? (Play to vanity II)
4. Hey, at least I didn't buy the more expensive item. (Bargain gambit II)
5. What are you talking about? (Stonewall)
6. That's for work. (It makes money)
7. Guess what, I'm taking you out to dinner. We'll talk about that later. (Admitting wrongdoing...)
8. No, that's not a new car. (Change the subject)
9. How would you like a puppy? (Desperation)
10. It keeps me faithful to you. (Even more desperate)

Jul 22, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #18 of 107
Thanks folks. keep it coming. this is no joke for fame. this is need for hi-fi. my god she is here right now almost reading this MENS only thread gotta go

Jul 22, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #19 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Buying her gifts is a nice way to take advantage of her good mood to slide in and make a nice little purchase of your own.

I'm in this camp. My wife wanted one of those $500 Dyson vacuum cleaners.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Well, she got it, and two weeks later I was happily listening to my shiny, new, Grado SR-325i.

Works for me.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Edit: I would like to point out that a vacuum cleaner should never really be considered a gift, except when it costs $500 and does the exact same thing as a $100 Hoover, so YMMV.

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 107
Some of the recent comments that I've heard from my girfriend, indicating that I've still got some time to enjoy myself:

Case 1:

"I didn't even know that they made $300 headphones!"

My response to this one was "Oh ya, I had kind of forgotten about that too..." She looked kind of puzzled, and didn't quite figure out that those were the cheapest headphones I had bought in a long time!

(She was referring to a pair of Grado 325i that I gave to my mom for an extended trial period, along with several others. Oh, BTW, treating mom well has brought some really nice brownie points with the girfriend. I guess she figures I'll treat her mom well too.)

Case 2:

"I've never seen radios that looked this nice before. I bet they cost a lot, huh?"

My response was, "Oh, you'ld be surprised." I said it very matter of factly, and in such a way that would lead her to believe that it wasn't nearly as expensive she might think, rather than way more expensive than she might think!

(She was referring to my Shanling T300 and T200 which we were doing A/B testing on while sitting and listening to headphones together. I've since learned that all things electronic are "radios" to Jamaican women, even CD players.)

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #21 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Some approaches -

1)"Tit for Tat." New shoes? Hello, new interconnects!

2)"Come to the Dark Side." You like it? Awesome, keep em! I'll just a pair of something something for myself to replace it, la dee da...

3)"Ninja." Oh, that amp? That's been there forever, you never noticed it? You're so silly!

4)"The Model Husband." - Wow, that book club was fun, thanks for inviting me babe! Honey, I just walked the dog, put the baby to bed, etc. too - why don't you relax in the bubble bath I just drew for you, and I'll just wait in the wings listening to my headphone rig oh so quietly so as not to disturb anyone...

5)"The Doghouse." Yeah, you caught me. I know, I'm sleepin' on the sofa again tonight.

6)"The Upgrader." Why do my headphones look shinier? Em, I traded the old ones in - see? I'm saving money!

Ones NOT to try.

1)"The Professor." Let me tell you why a $5000 headphone rig makes sense in context of the $50,000 rig I really want...

2)"The Hulk." ME WANT! HULK SMASH!

3)"Mister Pissy." Dammit woman, leave me alone! Let me have my "Me" time! NagnagnagSHEESH!

LOL, that is awesome. I've definitely pulled the Ninja and the Upgrader with my girflriend. There's also the 'look, I found these in some old box from college'. If she knew what I spent on headphones, she'd be wanting some more dinners out and jewelry....

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #22 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
There's also the 'look, I found these in some old box from college'.

that is the ideal line for a tube amp or a set of grados.

just be sure that NOTHING is shiny. a tube amp still sounds sweet with a drab top-plate....

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #23 of 107
I know this smacks of chauvinism, but there's a flaw in the "tit for tat" purchasing methods being proposed here that usually works against the man. Kitchens are for cooking and vacuums are for cleaning. Audio equipment is for relaxing. Unless you're the one who'll be doing the cooking or vacuuming, she's got you on a strong and legitimate technicality right off the mark. If you're going with this plan, her "luxury purchase" had better be shoes or some other hedonistic item or you are sunk.

Why not explain to her how much you really enjoy quality audio and desperately want to replace your old system, but realize it's unfair of you to spend so much on yourself, so you'd like to get a part time job long enough to pay for it? Perhaps she'll take pity on you or not want you away from home working more than you already are and relent. Then again, you may wind up working two jobs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #24 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Some approaches -

1)"Tit for Tat." New shoes? Hello, new interconnects!

2)"Come to the Dark Side." You like it? Awesome, keep em! I'll just a pair of something something for myself to replace it, la dee da...

3)"Ninja." Oh, that amp? That's been there forever, you never noticed it? You're so silly!

4)"The Model Husband." - Wow, that book club was fun, thanks for inviting me babe! Honey, I just walked the dog, put the baby to bed, etc. too - why don't you relax in the bubble bath I just drew for you, and I'll just wait in the wings listening to my headphone rig oh so quietly so as not to disturb anyone...

5)"The Doghouse." Yeah, you caught me. I know, I'm sleepin' on the sofa again tonight.

6)"The Upgrader." Why do my headphones look shinier? Em, I traded the old ones in - see? I'm saving money!

Ones NOT to try.

1)"The Professor." Let me tell you why a $5000 headphone rig makes sense in context of the $50,000 rig I really want...

2)"The Hulk." ME WANT! HULK SMASH!

3)"Mister Pissy." Dammit woman, leave me alone! Let me have my "Me" time! NagnagnagSHEESH!

LOL!!

Im bonding with the kids...

401268_257_full.jpg

401268_308_full.jpg

works with car audio and guitar amps too...

401268_75_full.jpg

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
I know this smacks of chauvinism, but there's a flaw in the "tit for tat" purchasing methods being proposed here that usually works against the man. Kitchens are for cooking and vacuums are for cleaning. Audio equipment is for relaxing.

Believe me, I learned long ago that Tit for Tat had to involve luxury goods like shoes hehe!

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #26 of 107
People astonish me sometimes. No wonder half of the marriages end in divorce (or whatever the stupid statistic is). Isn't one of the typical vows "respect"? How is sneaking around each other's backs respectful? How is trying to bar each other from things people enjoy respectful?

How about being a pair of adults about it? Do a budget together and figure out what you can afford for discretionary spending. Split it down the middle. As long as those limits are being respected, she gets to do whatever she wants with her discretionary money, you get to do whatever you want with yours. Or something similar. If you need to deceive your spouse, your problem is much deeper than just audio equipment...

rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #28 of 107
Man, all of you talking about audio and wives. For me it's about convincing the parents about buying a $300-400 DAC...now try explaining to your old-school parents what a DAC does!

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #29 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
People astonish me sometimes. No wonder half of the marriages end in divorce (or whatever the stupid statistic is). Isn't one of the typical vows "respect"? How is sneaking around each other's backs respectful? How is trying to bar each other from things people enjoy respectful?

How about being a pair of adults about it? Do a budget together and figure out what you can afford for discretionary spending. Split it down the middle. As long as those limits are being respected, she gets to do whatever she wants with her discretionary money, you get to do whatever you want with yours. Or something similar. If you need to deceive your spouse, your problem is much deeper than just audio equipment...

rolleyes.gif

i am not married, but i agree with you about it. its same as threads where grown men are acting like 10 year olds and crying that they need a new toy (headphones/amp). talk to your wife, if you have enough money to buy $1000+ rigs, just talk to her, tell her how much you love audio and tell her that she can buy herself something something too.

*puts on flame suit*

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #30 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
LOL!!

Im bonding with the kids...

401268_257_full.jpg

Kramer...that's really odd...your child looks so much like my brother did when he was this age!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back