THE MOST IMPORTANT THREAD EVER 4 men
post-1491824
Post #1 of 107

bowlofjokes

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have a BIG problem in trying to get back into the Hi-Fi game. Its called the wife. I had not considered this before selling my stereo years ago, before I got married(*). I need to know from some veterans how to get around "the wife factor". I gave up on trying to get a stereo again,, it will always be to expensive. So I am going to try a sneak attack with a headfi system. I have never tried one, but i NEED SOMETHING. A good hi-fi experience is like church for me. Except I never went to church. It is the holy experience. So vet's,,please,,,how do I get around the wife factor? The timing might be right she is getting a new kitchen which is going to cost more than many hi-fi rigs AND less useful,IMHO. I need every trick you know. I'll add them all up. and then MAYBE I'll have a chance.
THANK YOU

* never be in the middle of an upgrade while getting married, you might as well be dead.

post-1491830
Post #2 of 107

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Buying her gifts is a nice way to take advantage of her good mood to slide in and make a nice little purchase of your own.

I'm not married, hell I don't even have a girlfriend...but I'm sure this could work for you, given the right situation

post-1491840
Post #3 of 107

grawk

Itinerant Miscreant
Reaction score
I recommend changing your desires to what SHE wants...

post-1491845
Post #4 of 107

nikongod

DIY-ku
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I recommend changing your desires to what SHE wants...

this will solve many problems, from what i hear.

a gracefull "admission of defeat" should be included in all other strategies.

post-1491851
Post #5 of 107

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
Reaction score
a lot of fast talking. how good are you at bs'ing?

post-1491860
Post #6 of 107

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
You've just got to talk to her. Explain that she's getting a new kitchen, she probably got two pairs of shoes last month, etc., and you deserve at least something for yourself. Be assertive. It prevents resentment from building up in the relationship, and she'll respect you a lot more if you don't keep rolling over and stick up for your needs sometimes. Don't play games, just talk.

post-1491863
Post #7 of 107

fogia.4

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
eeeh, well look at it this way... if you make your own money, you're allowed to spend it anyway you like. So, simply buy everything you want at once, and when she asks you what you think youre doing simply tell her to put on the headphones and crank up her favorite album, all this WITHOUT EVER mentionning prices. Just tell her the gear you bought has very little resale value and that just as new kitchens are very important in making her happy, men need new toys every once in awhile too.

If your wife is the least bit reasonable, that should hopefully settle it

post-1491878
Post #8 of 107

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Reaction score
Some approaches -

1)"Tit for Tat." New shoes? Hello, new interconnects!

2)"Come to the Dark Side." You like it? Awesome, keep em! I'll just a pair of something something for myself to replace it, la dee da...

3)"Ninja." Oh, that amp? That's been there forever, you never noticed it? You're so silly!

4)"The Model Husband." - Wow, that book club was fun, thanks for inviting me babe! Honey, I just walked the dog, put the baby to bed, etc. too - why don't you relax in the bubble bath I just drew for you, and I'll just wait in the wings listening to my headphone rig oh so quietly so as not to disturb anyone...

5)"The Doghouse." Yeah, you caught me. I know, I'm sleepin' on the sofa again tonight.

6)"The Upgrader." Why do my headphones look shinier? Em, I traded the old ones in - see? I'm saving money!

Ones NOT to try.

1)"The Professor." Let me tell you why a $5000 headphone rig makes sense in context of the $50,000 rig I really want...

2)"The Hulk." ME WANT! HULK SMASH!

3)"Mister Pissy." Dammit woman, leave me alone! Let me have my "Me" time! NagnagnagSHEESH!

post-1491881
Post #9 of 107

calaf

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
a plus of headfi is that it may get expensive but it is incremental: you can trade-up in small steps that will pass under the radar (and make the hobby more fun). And it is discreet: headfi equipment will never be as aesthetically intrusive as say floorstanding speakers.
But honestly I think you are starting on the wrong foot: get your wife (and kids if any) involved, play good music, share the toys, it will be much more fun!!!

post-1491891
Post #10 of 107

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Some approaches -

2)"Come to the Dark Side." You like it? Awesome, keep em! I'll just a pair of something something for myself to replace it, la dee da...

3)"Ninja." Oh, that amp? That's been there forever, you never noticed it? You're so silly!

4)"The Model Husband." - Wow, that book club was fun, thanks for inviting me babe! Honey, I just walked the dog, put the baby to bed, etc. too - why don't you relax in the bubble bath I just drew for you, and I'll just wait in the wings listening to my headphone rig oh so quietly so as not to disturb anyone...

5)"The Doghouse." Yeah, you caught me. I know, I'm sleepin' on the sofa again tonight.

6)"The Upgrader." Why do my headphones look shinier? Em, I traded the old ones in - see? I'm saving money!

Ones NOT to try.

1)"The Professor." Let me tell you why a $5000 headphone rig makes sense in context of the $50,000 rig I really want...

3)"Mister Pissy." Dammit woman, leave me alone! Let me have my "Me" time! NagnagnagSHEESH!

Why didn't you post this earlier? I have been trying to use The Professor on my parents for the past twelve months!

post-1491900
Post #11 of 107

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Reaction score
Quote:

Some approaches -

Ones NOT to try.

ROFLMFAO!!!! That's awesome.

Almost should be a sticky.

There are a few threads of Head-fiers trying the "Ninja" approach and getting caught. I believe one of them was titled, "Busted."

-Ed

post-1491907
Post #12 of 107

perplex

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
it looks like you're not the one wearing the trousers in the house !

post-1491964
Post #13 of 107

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Why didn't you post this earlier? I have been trying to use The Professor on my parents for the past twelve months!

Heh. The Professor works for me...

post-1491973
Post #14 of 107

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Reaction score
Ninja's the way to go. Grados look strikingly similar.

post-1491975
Post #15 of 107

bowlofjokes

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Some approaches -

Ones NOT to try.

This is a good starting point. This is a vet or a well researched in the art.
I have tried getting her involved (no kids), but she doesn't get it. Plus the salesman was a complete idiot. this just might be the most important thread ever. Keep it coming PLEASE. This is the **** that we print out and habd to our young ones,,,if they must come. If hi-fi is to survive, we gotta brain storm. Now go fry your brains while I'm listening to my $700 mini system. God has got to have a relief file for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)