The most "fun" iem?
Jun 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rawratchu

New Head-Fier
So iv decided to buy some iem's instead of headphones for portable use.Iv tend to look for a more accurate and natural sound, but i'm afraid of the lifeless feel ill get, so iv decided to go for a more "fun" iem, that adds color to my music but doesn't overwhelm the honest recording. I love imaging and soundstage and detail so it feels like i'm right there. I listen to classical and acoustic rock. I'll probably want a headphone amp also, but havnt decided what to choose either. I would like an amp under 200 USD, and iem's under 300.

Thank you =D

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 15
I think a fun pair of IEM's is the CK90Pro. It's not as flat as the much praised CK10 but still very similar, but the bass is punchy and its really very fast. You can adjust the amount of treble to your liking by changing the amount of foam in the tube, but out of the box are a bit dark. Imaging is fairly strong on them. It's also nicely within your budget. (You can find them on accessoryjack)

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 15
I would go Monster Turbine Pro Copper for dynamic based IEM's or SM3 for BA based IEM (this one is over your budget of $300 but also is not supposed to need and amp as it only improves the sound a bit). I currently own the MTPC and properly burned in it can be either very neutral (burned in one way) or warm with slightly forward mids especially in the lower midrange (burned in another way), both burnin methods will create a very nice sound. The MTPC does benefit greatly from an amp. I am currently waiting on my SM3 to arrive so won't comment to much on them as I can't give first hand experience.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 15
Sennheiser IE8, Radius DDM, Klipsch Custom 3, MTP Copper and Sony EX700.........

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Sennheiser IE8, Radius DDM, Klipsch Custom 3, MTP Copper and Sony EX700.........

I actually wouldn't describe the DDM as "fun", though it does have a startling sound at times. The EX700 actually has a less "fun" sound than Sony's cheaper models - despite the large driver the bass impact is relatively low. Can't comment on the other suggestions though...

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 15
I ordred my SM3 direct from Earsonic, I believe there is also a place in the UK you can order them from but they were more expensive for me so I went direct to the source. As far as I know there are no NA distributors for Earsonic.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 15
LOL if you can wait a few days I'll give you my opinion on them and the MTPC (A/B testing) and IE8 (from memory). I imagine a few others will post their thoughts as well.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of rave about the sm3. Are they worth the 400 USD? Will an amp improve the sound significantly?

The impressions are that they respond well to amping.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 15
I have an SM3 and I paired it with both an RSA Hornet and a Fiio E5. Surprisingly, the sound quality does not change as drastically as I thought it would (tiny bit more bass power/impact and a tad bit clearer instrument separation). And even more eerie...I think I prefer the FiiO E5 sound paired with the SM3 over the Hornet. I do not think it's necessary to get an amp for the SM3, but I think it sounds more full and powerful with a small amp like a FiiO E5 over just plain connecting into a DAP.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I have an SM3 and I paired it with both an RSA Hornet and a Fiio E5. Surprisingly, the sound quality barely changes. And even more eerie...I think I prefer the FiiO E5 sound paired with the SM3 over the Hornet. I do not think it's necessary to get an amp for the SM3, but I think it sounds more full and powerful with a small amp like a FiiO E5 over just plain connecting into a DAC.

Interesting, its usually the lack of body and force that puts me off to BA's in general.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back