the most detailed headphones
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #31 of 43
Stax SR-007 was quite good. Even a cheaper electrostatic will be very revealing in ways that a dynamic or planar may not.

I have one of those ‘unicorn’ LCD2s. It renders spectra better than most dynamics and would reveal a different nature of your music than say an HD800.

HD800 is awesome though. Combine it with a SubPac as no headphone is going to reveal what you can’t actually hear :wink:

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #32 of 43
I never said the resonator increased the bass. I said in addition to the Helmholtz Resonator, they closed the inner hole to trap more bass/reflect more bass to the ear. I was simply pointing out the two main technological differences between the 800 and S.

As far as I'm concerned, the resonator is the thing inside the inner hole of the ring radiator, and although it's not closed in the back (because it's made using an impermeable material) it's indeed closer than no material at all (HD800). I see this more as a single technical difference, but we are on the same page here.

-The most obvious difference between the HD 800 and HD 800 S is easy to spot: The new one is black, while the original is gray. That works for me; the black finish enhances the headphones’ striking good looks. Sennheiser’s Axel Grell responded to my query about how the two headphones differ with this: “For the HD 800 S, we are using the same RingRadiator transducer [driver] as for the standard HD 800, but we now have a Helmholtz-Absorber in its center cavity. The result of this is a flatter high-mid to high-frequency response. And as the center of the transducer is closed now, the low-frequency range is extended as well.”-

While it's true that HD800S have a flatter high frequency response, it might not be true that it has a more extended low frequency range.
I've yet to see a FR plot where HD800S have more extension or presence in the bass relative to HD800.
HD800 reaches 20Hz quite well and HD800S looks extremely similar in this regard.

You can read more about some of these things below the title: "Warming the HD800S"
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #33 of 43
As far as I'm concerned, the resonator is the thing inside the inner hole of the ring radiator, and although it's not closed in the back (because it's made using an impermeable material) it's indeed closer than no material at all (HD800). I see this more as a single technical difference, but we are on the same page here.

While it's true that HD800S have a flatter high frequency response, it might not be true that it has a more extended low frequency range.
I've yet to see a FR plot where HD800S have more extension or presence in the bass relative to HD800.
HD800 reaches 20Hz quite well and HD800S looks extremely similar in this regard.

You can read more about some of these things below the title: "Warming the HD800S"
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response

I’ve already read that article and own both the 800 and S. And I can assure you, the 800S has a more pronounced bass response than the 800. And I’m also sure anyone else who has heard both will agree. It’s really not up for debate.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #34 of 43
I’ve already read that article and own both the 800 and S. And I can assure you, the 800S has a more pronounced bass response than the 800. And I’m also sure anyone else who has heard both will agree. It’s really not up for debate.

If you mean more perceived bass overall, then yes, sure.
As I've said before, it has less treble so the bass will stand out more and it also has higher second order distortion in the bass which translates into added bass.

I wasn't debating HD800S having more perceived bass. I was debating the claim of HD800S having a more extended low frequency range.
Low frequency range is easily measurable and non of the measurements I've seen can back up that claim.

As you can see here, both have a similar roll off in the lowest frequencies.
HD800S
HD800

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #35 of 43
If you mean more perceived bass overall, then yes, sure.
As I've said before, it has less treble so the bass will stand out more and it also has higher second order distortion in the bass which translates into added bass.

I wasn't debating HD800S having more perceived bass. I was debating the claim of HD800S having a more extended low frequency range.
Low frequency range is easily measurable and non of the measurements I've seen can back up that claim.

As you can see here, both have a similar roll off in the lowest frequencies.
HD800S
HD800

Oh I see. I’d agree with that. They both go pretty low and I’d say they’re comparable there. It’s just more audible on the 800S above 20Hz and felt more below it.

Dec 9, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #36 of 43
Thank you all so much for your opinions.
Unfortunately, HD800 is beyond my budget. also, I can't seems to find a used ones in a reasonable price.

Other headphones that are on the par of "the most detailed"?

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #37 of 43
You have got some pretty detailed headphones already for the price you want to stay in. The only question is whether you like their "signature". If you find them lean on tonal color, you might dabble with Grado's or buy an Audeze SIne. If more detail is what you want, improved source and amp are where to look ... you can't get the detail out of the headphones if it never reaches them.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #39 of 43
You have got some pretty detailed headphones already for the price you want to stay in. The only question is whether you like their "signature". If you find them lean on tonal color, you might dabble with Grado's or buy an Audeze SIne. If more detail is what you want, improved source and amp are where to look ... you can't get the detail out of the headphones if it never reaches them.

Can you please recommend a DAC-AMP for my headphones? but a really high-end one - I might get those 1000$ on the AMP-DAC alone.
My thought were about the SPL Phonitor Mini as an amp, using the STX II DAC. I've been told that Phonitor Mini is very analytical and detailed.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #40 of 43
The Chord Mojo is an easy choice if you want to stay around $500. Beyond that there is quite a variety. Personally if I were looking at around $1K for integrated DAC/ headphone amp, my choice would be the Woo Firefly, it looks cool, uses tubes and is tonally rich. But that's me, I don't do well with most less expensive solid state headphone amps as they sound thin to me, artificial in the highs. If you want solid state, Burson is a name I trust at the $1k price point, I've modded electronics with their drop in discrete component replacements for OP amps,they understand how the analog output section sound can be compromised by IC chip solutions. I've not heard the Phonitor and most of the products I like better than Woo or Burson are considerably more expensive.

Dec 9, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #42 of 43
If you can, go to meets(you can setup your regional meets), and try out various headphones, and setups(DAC/Amps). That will provide better idea in how people achieve agreeable sound output from various headphones, and also get them to sound very detailed. Various headphones can sound highly detailed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back