the most detailed headphones
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
Heya :)

I'm looking for the most detailed and revealing headphones out there.
My budget can go up to $1000 (for the most detailed headphones, I would save some money, whatever needed), so I can allow myself a very priced cans - but that doesn't mean to cut off less pricey headphones.

Atm I'm having AKG K701, Beyers 990 Pro 250 Ohm \ DT 770 80Ohm \ Ultrasone 900 Pro.
Source & Amp: ASUS Xonar Essence STX II.
I'm not satisfied - they aren't as detailed as I want it to be.
I want to be able to spot any little detail - just like the artist meant.

Please, I need your opinions... :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 43
A pair of used HD800 would be my choice. These are very revealing of amping and sources too - I'm not familiar with yours.

as I said: Source & Amp: ASUS Xonar Essence STX II.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 43
as I said: Source & Amp: ASUS Xonar Essence STX II.

Yeah, thanks again for the info. I still have no idea how that works with HD800. The headphone selected makes the biggest difference in SQ by far, but what comes before it plays a part too. I'm not sure a built-in soundcard is what brings the best out of these kinds of TOTL-level headphones. You don't need to spend a huge amount though to get close, check out some of Schiit's offerings to get started.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 43
Yeah, thanks again for the info. I still have no idea how that works with HD800. The headphone selected makes the biggest difference in SQ by far, but what comes before it plays a part too. I'm not sure a built-in soundcard is what brings the best out of these kinds of TOTL-level headphones. You don't need to spend a huge amount though to get close, check out some of Schiit's offerings to get started.

Not once I've read here that my STX (let alone STX II) is good enough, very good actually.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 43
Heya :)

I'm looking for the most detailed and revealing headphones out there.
My budget can go up to $1000 (for the most detailed headphones, I would save some money, whatever needed), so I can allow myself a very priced cans - but that doesn't mean to cut off less pricey headphones.

Atm I'm having AKG K701, Beyers 990 Pro 250 Ohm \ DT 770 80Ohm \ Ultrasone 900 Pro.
Source & Amp: ASUS Xonar Essence STX II.
I'm not satisfied - they aren't as detailed as I want it to be.
I want to be able to spot any little detail - just like the artist meant.

Please, I need your opinions... :)
Your looking in the wrong area. Start thinking external headphone amplifier with asynch USB connection, something like the Chord Mojo. Things won't improve if your DAC
circuitry is on the PC MOBO. You should be able to get a lot more out of the headphones you already have with the right investment in an external USB DAC/ headphone amp combo.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 43
Your looking in the wrong area. Start thinking external headphone amplifier with asynch USB connection, something like the Chord Mojo. Things won't improve if your DAC
circuitry is on the PC MOBO. You should be able to get a lot more out of the headphones you already have with the right investment in an external USB DAC/ headphone amp combo.

I guess that's an option too.
What DAC\AMP would you suggest of for detailed sound?

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 43
There are a ton of options. have you considered IEMs like the new Etymotic ER3 or ER4? These are an extremely accurate and revealing solution. They can pair pretty well without crazy expensive amplifiers quite well. You could get these and something like the Audioquest Dragonfly Red and the Jitter Bug all well within your budget to really get a very revealing solution that is also very portable and compatible with pretty much any source including a smartphone if wanted.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 43
- AKG K812
- Sennheiser HD800 (slightly distant and cohesive by comparison but very resolving in the treble and very clean bass response)

Can't go wrong with any of these two if you're after a detail oriented headphone.
Your STX II will work fine, although a better source will give you more detail. It can easily become expensive though (+500usd)

Edit. (More detailed response)
Both K812 and HD800/HD800S are detail oriented headphones.
While K812 focus on macrodynamics with its big energetic and upfront sound, HD800/S have a more relaxed/distant presentation that's full on microdetail/texture. The silver HD800 has a tendency to sound dry and steely on neutralish setups, that can surely mask part of its technical performance. HD800S on the other hand has a more natural sounding response and thus less masking in the treble region.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 43
Always keep in mind that quality recordings are a must in order to get a transparent audio experience.
If the recording is regular quality, regular quality is all you'll get, even using K812 or HD800.

It's like playing a regular 360p video on a top class 4k screen.
360p quality is what you'll get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back