The most average cans money can buy
Oct 17, 2008 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NeverSage

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I want to thank all of you first off for the great advice I've gleaned from sitting on the sidelines. But now there is one topic that doesn't seem to get much coverage that I was hoping to have your input on.

I have two pairs of headphones I use everyday. A Sennheiser HD280 Pro and a pair of Sennheiser MX500 earbuds. The Pro I generally use for listening to music through my computer and playing games. The earbuds are when I'm out using my iPod. I am supremely happy with the quality of sound both of these provide.

Now I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are a bit different. I can't tell the difference between mp3s and wavs, so I'm not much of an audiophile. I want a mid sized pair that lets in a bit of outside noise so I can hear what's going on if need be. Since I resigned myself that this pair won't have the best sound I decided that I want to go more for style. This is where I'm running into trouble. The only two companies I can find that make purposely stylish headphones are skullcandy and wesc. From reviews the skullcandies appear poorly made and from personal experience the wescs sound shockingly bad. Can anyone please offer me some recommendations? My basic requirements are midsized, unique style, average sound quality, single sided cord, fold up, and around $50usd. I will be using this with an ipod and no amp.

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 12
spend just a little more and you can get the grado sr60s. Bonus is that they will sound good. They might even let you hear the difference between wav and mp3
biggrin.gif

hmm but the single sided cord thing combined with being open and midsized errrm. Is there such a headphone? thats the question

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spend just a little more and you can get the grado sr60s. Bonus is that they will sound good. They might even let you hear the difference between wav and mp3
biggrin.gif

hmm but the single sided cord thing combined with being open and midsized errrm. Is there such a headphone? thats the question

The HD485's fit that description- well, not sure if you'd consider them midsized...

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 12
Before this thread gets deleted, I just want to slip in and thank you guys for the advice. I'm going to go with the Grado sr60s. The HD485 seems like a good set of headphones from what I've read, but the cord is just a little too long for traveling
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 12
Pretty sure he meant to delete his post, not the thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can always bind the cable if needed, but the Grados should do a good job for you.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 12
the portapros are a style in themselves (i think they look good), they sound above average and are collapsible. It doesnt have a single sided cord though but it does cost less than 50 clams.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverSage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before this thread gets deleted, I just want to slip in and thank you guys for the advice. I'm going to go with the Grado sr60s. The HD485 seems like a good set of headphones from what I've read, but the cord is just a little too long for traveling
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks!

Na this thread aint getting deleted.

So you like the style of the SR60's?
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 12
Panasonic rp-htx7. Short and single sided cable. works excellent with portables. They look incredible and feel comfortable to me. Build quality seems every bit as good as the lower-end grados. Out of the box, they sound average. Lots of bass and lots of highs. Mids are very recessed, but improves with proper EQ. I was impressed with their sound stage, but that might be because my previous headphones have next to no soundstage. The plastic cups fit around the ear, but isolate poorly, which in this case you want. The problem you might find though is that they don't fold and might be too large. I have a pair of them in black, which are actually like a really really dark gray, instead of the piano black I thought they were going to be. But still, not that bad for 35usd and worth a mention. I PM'd you with a few more details.
SR-60s are great though at 70usd. Only problems I see with those are if they don't match the music you listen to and the cable might be too long.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, give the Grado SR60 a try. For the money its hard to beat, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back