The Moonriver 2 DAC is released after the wait.
Apr 20, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #31 of 57
This looks super interesting, I've been looking at portable dacs for a bit and this might be my next one. Does anyone have any impressions on how it sounds with the Blessing 2 Dusk?

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #32 of 57
I received my moonriver 2. It sounds fantastic and has more power than any of the other dongles I have. It’s kinda crazy how they get so much power out of the back of an iPhone. I will say I bought an mfi certified usb c to lightning and it doesn’t work. Fortunately FiiO makes a c to lightning cable that is otg and it works like a charm. So iPhone users, unless the cable I bought is a dud, and I tried a couple… you will need to use the FiiO cable, I don’t know of anyone else that makes that particular cable. But it’s easy enough to acquire and it’s a decent cable from a build quality standpoint. I have the cobalt, the df red… and I also have the clarus coda. So far the coda has been my fave of the dongle dacs. I believe the moonriver 2 is it’s equal from a sound perspective. The moonriver is a bit more neutral… and also is more revealing and has better detail retrieval… to my ears at least. The coda is perhaps a bit more forgiving and a bit softer sounding, and that can be great too. Depends on what you’re looking for I suppose. I like having different flavors and I feel like these are a good combo to have in that way. Gives you options. But yeah, the build quality on the moonriver is fantastic. It’s very well made, feels good in the hand and is very small and light. It sounds fantastic and is $100 cheaper than the cobalt and the coda. I really like it. Like everything about it. I’m very happy with my purchase and it really seems moondrop can do no wrong. I’ve got a couple of their iems and for the money they’re exceptional. Moondrop hasn’t missed yet, and the moonriver extends their win streak. Fantastic sounding little product. It’s crazy how far the tech has come over the years… it’s so tiny, I don’t know how you fit all that tech in such a small package. Dual flagship dacs, completely balanced amplifier circuit… and it’s so compact. Awesome. I remember carrying around the Ray Samuels hornet plugged into an iPod classic. That sounds great too… still have it. But that ain’t gonna fit in your pocket. Well done moondrop. You’re like 20 and 0 as far as wins. Cheers and thanks for the great product. I look forward to my time with the moonriver 2 … and am excited for the next dongle you make. Maybe a desk top unit? 😊😊😊

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #33 of 57
This looks super interesting, I've been looking at portable dacs for a bit and this might be my next one. Does anyone have any impressions on how it sounds with the Blessing 2 Dusk?
Pretty decent pairing with my Dusk, but to be honest, I prefer my W2-131 for my multi-driver IEMs. However, Moonriver 2 sounds best to me with the single DD lineup from Moondrop. Starfield, SSR, and Aria sound amazing to the point that I prefer it over my W2-131.

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #34 of 57
I received my moonriver 2. It sounds fantastic and has more power than any of the other dongles I have. It’s kinda crazy how they get so much power out of the back of an iPhone. I will say I bought an mfi certified usb c to lightning and it doesn’t work. Fortunately FiiO makes a c to lightning cable that is otg and it works like a charm. So iPhone users, unless the cable I bought is a dud, and I tried a couple… you will need to use the FiiO cable, I don’t know of anyone else that makes that particular cable. But it’s easy enough to acquire and it’s a decent cable from a build quality standpoint. I have the cobalt, the df red… and I also have the clarus coda. So far the coda has been my fave of the dongle dacs. I believe the moonriver 2 is it’s equal from a sound perspective. The moonriver is a bit more neutral… and also is more revealing and has better detail retrieval… to my ears at least. The coda is perhaps a bit more forgiving and a bit softer sounding, and that can be great too. Depends on what you’re looking for I suppose. I like having different flavors and I feel like these are a good combo to have in that way. Gives you options. But yeah, the build quality on the moonriver is fantastic. It’s very well made, feels good in the hand and is very small and light. It sounds fantastic and is $100 cheaper than the cobalt and the coda. I really like it. Like everything about it. I’m very happy with my purchase and it really seems moondrop can do no wrong. I’ve got a couple of their iems and for the money they’re exceptional. Moondrop hasn’t missed yet, and the moonriver extends their win streak. Fantastic sounding little product. It’s crazy how far the tech has come over the years… it’s so tiny, I don’t know how you fit all that tech in such a small package. Dual flagship dacs, completely balanced amplifier circuit… and it’s so compact. Awesome. I remember carrying around the Ray Samuels hornet plugged into an iPod classic. That sounds great too… still have it. But that ain’t gonna fit in your pocket. Well done moondrop. You’re like 20 and 0 as far as wins. Cheers and thanks for the great product. I look forward to my time with the moonriver 2 … and am excited for the next dongle you make. Maybe a desk top unit? 😊😊😊

I do hope we get to see a desktop unit from Moondrop. I like iFi xDSD Gryphon but I wish there was one without a battery with zero the hassle of replacing those every few years. I hope @MOONDROP will make an AMP/DAC with similar form factor to what @iFi audio did with Gryphon minus the battery.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #35 of 57
Hey guys:
After a prolonged time of research(faff around ) , we are excited to announce a thought after successor to the Moonriver dac , The Moonriver 2.
Take a look at this CNC precision milled little thing:966_02.jpg_PHI0054.jpg
Moonriver 2 is a small portable DAC with dual CS43198 cirrus logic chips that runs either on your phone or a USB port, no battery required.

PCM format support goes from 44.1kHz/16bit up to 384kHz/32bit(I don't think there's any recordings in that way though)
DSD format support goes up to DSD256.

This little thing connects with USB-C/ lightning(cable sold separately, anything that's lightning to usbc is fine) to fulfill the need of our IEMs, and delivers with either a 3.5mm single-end, or a 4.4mm balanced connector, at the SNR up to 131dB(A-weighted) and up to 4Vrms of output power.
966_09.jpg966_10.jpg
966_21.jpg

Now in stock at multiple retailers at MSRP of 189.99$.
Hello moondrop, I’ve had my moonriver 2 for a week or so now and as such have had many chances to spend time with it. It is very, very impressive. I was curious if you would be able to give any specifics on the amplifier circuit and topology? We seem to always talk about dac chips, but I find we don’t hear much about the amplifiers in dac-amps. I have always felt like the amplifier section was equally, if not more important to the sound as the dac chip and implementation. It has such a clean, neutral and clear sound. It measures so well, and I feel like you can actually hear that when you listen to it. It’s just crystal clear and I can’t hear any background noise on any iem I throw at it. The release material speaks to it being a two dual op amp amplifier circuit… so we know it’s op amp based, I was wondering if you’d be willing to elaborate on that a bit? I understand this kind of thing is proprietary and it’s important to keep your designs close to the vest. But it sounds fantastic, I was just curious about the amplifier circuit. Thanks for the great product. I am really enjoying it. Cheers.

Apr 25, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #36 of 57
Hi, got mine and started to using it, mostly from the smartphone (UAPP) and with earbuds.

Pretty impressed by the results, the only "gripe" I have so far is with UAPP, I have both hardware volume and internal volume, meaning that it's not 100% bit perfect and that the phone manipulates somehow the amp section. I am investigating though if this is something due to UAPP in the first place, or an "unfortunate chain" between smartphone+UAPP+cable+DAC.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #37 of 57
Hello moondrop, I’ve had my moonriver 2 for a week or so now and as such have had many chances to spend time with it. It is very, very impressive. I was curious if you would be able to give any specifics on the amplifier circuit and topology? We seem to always talk about dac chips, but I find we don’t hear much about the amplifiers in dac-amps. I have always felt like the amplifier section was equally, if not more important to the sound as the dac chip and implementation. It has such a clean, neutral and clear sound. It measures so well, and I feel like you can actually hear that when you listen to it. It’s just crystal clear and I can’t hear any background noise on any iem I throw at it. The release material speaks to it being a two dual op amp amplifier circuit… so we know it’s op amp based, I was wondering if you’d be willing to elaborate on that a bit? I understand this kind of thing is proprietary and it’s important to keep your designs close to the vest. But it sounds fantastic, I was just curious about the amplifier circuit. Thanks for the great product. I am really enjoying it. Cheers.
Does separated LDO power supply count?
Every channel is powered by two ±5V LDO supply to reduce power fluctuations.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
May 9, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #40 of 57
I wish I had the patience and time to write reviews, sadly I'm swamped with work and tbh I think I lack some technical knowledge that I'm hoping to invest time into understanding, long story short: even though it can get really hot, the MR2 can go up to the top 5 dongles I own. Amazing work from the moondrop team. They managed to bring their sound signature to a USB dac and make it outstanding. And if you think about it you get a bundled flash light =P

This is one of the best releases of the year

May 10, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 57
I wish I had the patience and time to write reviews, sadly I'm swamped with work and tbh I think I lack some technical knowledge that I'm hoping to invest time into understanding, long story short: even though it can get really hot, the MR2 can go up to the top 5 dongles I own. Amazing work from the moondrop team. They managed to bring their sound signature to a USB dac and make it outstanding. And if you think about it you get a bundled flash light =P

This is one of the best releases of the year
Flash light is a feature. It helps me find my IEMs in the dark :thinking:

May 20, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #44 of 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back