The Monster Turbine Debacle: Alternatives?
Dec 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vassilli0s

New Head-Fier
I saw the Monster Turbines on sale for $60 and grabbed them. 

Unfortunately the pair that came in the mail was defective, so i paid 15 bucks to send them back to monster for a replacement pair. A month later i got another defective pair.

By then i realized that i could do the same thing through amazon for free, so i did that and ended up with a third pair a few days later.

They sounded pretty decent. For a few hours before the left bud went out. 

So i tried to send them back to amazon again but was denied by amazon on the grounds that "it's likely another replacement would arrive defective."

So now the turbines price is back up to $140 and i don't want to bother with more of this crap.

What alternatives are there to the monster turbine at that price? I can return the broken turbines for a $60 refund but theres no way in hell im gonna buy from monster again after getting 3 broke ass pairs of phones.

Are there any out there that have more bass and wider soundstage? The turbines sounded good for jazz fusion and rock n stuff but i listen to a lot of hip hop and livetronica so im looking for more forward bass.

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 12
wow thats really terrible. I don't understand why can't monster just improve the quality. It would save  them big time with all the warranty replacements. When they worked, they sound great....Aren't there any monster Reps on these forums? As i am typing this, i am using my defective monsters with no bass and waiting on a replacement.

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Good luck with your second pair man, you'll need it...

But yeah if there aren't any other good alternatives i might have to just petition amazon to send me another pair since the price went up... I'm definitely not sending mine to monster again after paying $15 to go a month without decent IEMs.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 12
The OP's profile says he's got a Zune.  If a Zune blows Monster Turbines, they have a lot to worry about.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
are you sure your mp3 player isn't defective and shorting out these earphones?

um... no? 
eek.gif

I don't think it's likely because i've used my zune with a pair of bose triports for a while and they haven't been damaged, and the problems with the turbines were IMMEDIATELY apparent. And since i have till the 28th to return the defective turbines ive been using the partially defective pair (the ones with slightly less bass on the left bud) regularly and nothing has changed.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 12
I've never heard of so many bad earphones in a row like this, very strange. Maybe some sort of defective, but definetely NOT the norm, mine are still shiny and sound great as the day I got them. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 12
The turbines are a bit funny. While it isnt uncommon for a driver to go out, I find that a lot of the time its due to driver flex. Ever hear them crinkle as you're placing them in? Try playing with your ear so you get them to pop back. It's happened to me on occasion with my MTPC's. Unfortunately, its the "weak heel" of their design.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
The turbines are a bit funny. While it isnt uncommon for a driver to go out, I find that a lot of the time its due to driver flex. Ever hear them crinkle as you're placing them in? Try playing with your ear so you get them to pop back. It's happened to me on occasion with my MTPC's. Unfortunately, its the "weak heel" of their design.

There is truth to this post. I just got my Turbines, and I hadn't listened to 3 songs with them when the left earpiece gave out. My emotional reaction was more a bitter lack of surprise than any real pissed-off-ness (I've had three earphones die the same way in the past couple of weeks), but it was nonetheless a relief when I put them back in and they worked again. (Thanks for posting this -- if I hadn't remembered reading it I might not have bothered!) In any case, I'll be sending an email to Monster about 'sup.

Is this going to happen regularly? Is there anything I can do about it? (Should I be worried that one day they'll refuse to 'pop back'?)

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 12
Unfortunately, it will continue to happen. My suggestion is to try and not cram them far into your ear, lift up your ear when inserting them -as per instructions in their manual-, or keep your mouth open when pushing them in(or all three if you like
biggrin.gif
). If you feel like investing in tips, comply's seem to eliminate the issue -they are pourous, so air doesnt get trapped like it does with the silicone tips-. Just be aware that the comfort sieries tend to attenuate the treble by quite a margin; look for their regular "audiophile" sets. Ive been meaning to try the shure olives since they seem to be a foam construct, but I'm unsure if they trap air like silicone tips because of the finish. Perhaps someone with experience can chime in?

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 12
Ah. I guess I'll try the open-mouth method then, seems like the least bother. : ) It was sort of weird though, it stopped playing randomly in the middle of a song, not right after I had put them in.

Edit: Meh, just happened again. Not so awesome.

Edit 2: Can't get it to resume functioning. Are there any particular techniques?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back