The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Aug 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3,737 of 4,317
Quote:
Sweet!...try cyanoacrylate on the drivers as well if you feel lie attempting it. About half the difference again over just foaming your tips.

I wouldn't recommend it and here is why:

1. You'll have to remove the screen from the canal to add the krazy glue(cyanoacrylate). 

2. You have to get even coverage over the whole driver. If you get too much on a certain part, you'll end up unbalancing the driver and ruining it. This was expressed in the post itself. He didn't get the results he wanted until the third time. Even then, how do you know when it was done "right" since you don't have devices to measure like he does.

3. You may end up not liking the sound even if you do it correctly and there is no going back.

4. It took him 3 tries. That's $30. What if it takes you more? Something to consider.

Why you should do it:

1. You might get better sound.

2. Modding is fun

3. You'll learn something for a change =).

4. If money is of no consequence, you have nothing to lose.

edited: forgot to finish a sentence. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #3,738 of 4,317
All valid points nonetheless I cut a straw and reduced its diameter to fit directly into the nozzle. Put three drops into the end. Used the very thin runny type. Held the buds level for about 30 seconds. Rin said it will spread out evenly on its own. Didn't clog screen. Doesn't sound unbalanced...just a bit faster, a bit more detailed and a bit more open and relaxed. Still plan on redoing nozzles once I can make or find wide bore triple flanges

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #3,740 of 4,317
just wondering in case it haven't been said before! been subscribed for about 6 months now... do the new 8320s the white or the pink ones come with rubber cables? i'm dun really want to recable my 8320s, and the cable is just horrible now! it kinks it tangles! sometimes its so bad it takes me like 3 minutes just to untangle it!

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #3,741 of 4,317
the thinnest can find...I think STD runny stuff works its what I used. I played with it first and noticed it immediately disperses. The easiest way is doing nozzle mod rin Choi suggests on his blog. I thinned out a plastic straw and set into the nozzle to make sure I got it on the driver surface. Run also suggests using a syringe with a very small tip. It works if your careful. But there is a risk...at. $7.00 I was willing to risk it. I haven't done the full nozzle mod because I can't find a really wide bore triple flange. Soon as I do cutting the noodles off and putting a 3/16" inch wide nozzle and poke a needle into diaphragm to further damp resonances. See ron's blog on monoprice mods.

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #3,742 of 4,317
Pardon predictive text errors my phone stinks! These babies will sing with.a little extra effort. They are clobbering my re 400's right now and they are still breaking in. Triple flanges really bring out the best of what they do. Foamed improves the triple flange even more. You also need to remove stock filter and get a soft handkercheif...cut new filters from it. You can also warm and sweeten the sound with a 2mm by 4mm by 1mm block of foam placed directly into the nozzle just beneath the filter. Burn them 50 hours with jlab burn app. They are truelly fine. Neutral slightly warm, slightly sweet...slamming sub bass...excellent detail, huge soundstage if its in the recording and plenty of Prat...absolutely involving. Working on getting highs just right. The trick without wide bore mod and needle poked hole in diaphragm seems to be locking them in the ears. You will have to tinker with the foam cores in the triples to match your canals. Also if you can glue the bottom foam in place to prevent it moving and try to completely fill the flanges. I couldn't find a suitable glue that would stick so I made a nozzle shim from a silicone tip core shaft. Its cut to be the same height as.the nozzle groove. It allows jamming them in without tips sliding down nozzle and it keeps the bottom foamie in place for Max seal. It seems like a custom shell with how well it works. FWIW...worthwhile every moment of tinkering.

Magic....every little thing she does is magic!

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #3,743 of 4,317
Pardon predictive text errors my phone stinks! These babies will sing with.a little extra effort. They are clobbering my re 400's right now and they are still breaking in. Triple flanges really bring out the best of what they do. Foamed improves the triple flange even more. You also need to remove stock filter and get a soft handkercheif...cut new filters from it. You can also warm and sweeten the sound with a 2mm by 4mm by 1mm block of foam placed directly into the nozzle just beneath the filter. Burn them 50 hours with jlab burn app. They are truelly fine. Neutral slightly warm, slightly sweet...slamming sub bass...excellent detail, huge soundstage if its in the recording and plenty of Prat...absolutely involving. Working on getting highs just right. The trick without wide bore mod and needle poked hole in diaphragm seems to be locking them in the ears. You will have to tinker with the foam cores in the triples to match your canals. Also if you can glue the bottom foam in place to prevent it moving and try to completely fill the flanges. I couldn't find a suitable glue that would stick so I made a nozzle shim from a silicone tip core shaft. Its cut to be the same height as.the nozzle groove. It allows jamming them in without tips sliding down nozzle and it keeps the bottom foamie in place for Max seal. It seems like a custom shell with how well it works. FWIW...worthwhile every moment of tinkering.

Thats a bold claim! To be better than the re 400. I also have both and i find the re 400 superior in everyway.

This is without any mods. The 8320s lack thr subbass. Mid bass is not bad but that peak in the high mids to lower treble is a bit too glaring to me. Vocals arent as engaging to me, lack that power. Plus the treble on the re 400s is honestly perfect, so harshness or siblance, yet extends just enuf

If you can please post pics of what u did ! That would be sweet! These are a insane value at 7.00

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #3,744 of 4,317
That is exactly the region that the mods address.  You can check out Rin choi's blog on this.  I am just telling you what I hear.  Each little thing just refines them even more.  I am relatively fanatical about sound despite my current financial challenges.  So finding out about these is miraculous.

I love the RE 400's and prefer them to anything I have  previously listened to including headphones.  I did honestly prefer my Talon Audio Khorus loudspeakers back in the day when I was working in the industry.  But honestly the  400's are more enjoyable than a lot of pricey audio stuff I owned.

And now the 9927 comes along...and I love to tweak.  Especially when its cheap enough  that if I destroy it in the process I can start over.

In the middle of stuff today but will post the latest picture using my Samsung phone...sorry all I got.

Happy  Listening,

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #3,747 of 4,317
its funny ,,, all the different mods here... and i thought mine was over the top...

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #3,748 of 4,317
Quote:
its funny ,,, all the different mods here... and i thought mine was over the top...

Indeed but that's part of the fun.   Will post some pictures tomorrow morning after work of my foamed triple flanges and explain a bit more.  They are only particularly bright if the music is.  Definetly not shrill.  Tonally they are generally more right on the money...especially in the bass and lower midrange and are at least comparable with the RE 400...TDK BA 200 and the JVC FXT 90 above that.  they Kick the snot out of all 3 dynamically and throw a larger soundstage.  Images are also more correct in terns of height and general size than any of those.

A few thoughts FWIW.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #3,749 of 4,317
Quote:
Thats a bold claim! To be better than the re 400. I also have both and i find the re 400 superior in everyway.

This is without any mods. The 8320s lack thr subbass. Mid bass is not bad but that peak in the high mids to lower treble is a bit too glaring to me. Vocals arent as engaging to me, lack that power. Plus the treble on the re 400s is honestly perfect, so harshness or siblance, yet extends just enuf

If you can please post pics of what u did ! That would be sweet! These are a insane value at 7.00

Okay so here are the triple flanges foamed with earplug foam inserts.  They are cut down and adjusted to fit my ears.  You can see the shim around the nozzle below the groove that keeps the tip in place.  Again this prevents the tips sliding down when I jam them in.  The stock filter is removed and replaced with a fabric softner treated handkercheif. Their is a black soft foam filter under this.  Originally was 4mm x 2mm x 1mm, but I cut it in half after 50 hrs of break in.  You have to tune that to taste. Of course the driver was doped with cyanoacrylate as well, three drops through a straw  placed in the nozzle .  The remaining mods are cuting off the nozzle, punching a hole in the diaphragm with a needle to break up resonant nodes and replacing it with a larger bore tube and tips to fit.   I am still trying to locate triple flanges that are 3/16" bore width.  I will also split open the casing and rewire these after those mods.

Any questions?

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #3,750 of 4,317
It's all pretty awesome. Love seeing people mod. At the same time it reminds me of the time I read a recipe on how to make a Wendy's frosty. After looking at all the work involved I though "or I can just go buy one".

Sadly that isnt a possibility with these.

I agree that tri-flange tips really help due to their depth. Once I get around the bend in my canal the sound is like a whole new beast with crazy soundstage. Unfortunately it just isn't comfortable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back