The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #2,853 of 4,317
hmm just received them...

now I need to source for longer bi-flanges...

so far it is technically good for a 17 dollar in ear

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2,855 of 4,317
Quote:
What about the other IEMs on the monoprice website by the way? Like the 8319, 8321 and 8322? Are they any good? I've heard someone saying that the 8319 is basically the same as the 8320, but without the obnoxious design. Probably not true, but someone must've tried the 8319, 8321 or the 8322, right?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823

I purchased most of the Monoprice IEMs that I could find on the monoprice site and compared them anecdotally (listening for specific hard-to-reproduce sounds in the music I am familiar with) and completely unscientifically.  I skipped the 8319's because they were so inexpensive and had a much smaller driver than the 8320's according to the site.  The 8322's were terrible.  The only other IEMs that compete with the 8320's in terms of sound quality are the Monoprice 9396 IEMs.  I wrote a blog post about my findings here.  I found them to sound almost as good but preferred the 9396's because the 9320's hurt my outer ear and the 9396's are a more traditional comfortable fit.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #2,857 of 4,317
Quote:
I had a hunch those might be all right, given that those are from a higher-end OVC line. Are those all metal, or plastic like the 8320?

All three of the 9XXX IEMs are metal, although the 9396's are the flimsiest feeling of the three.  The plastic wire guide in the back seems especially flimsy because it is intended to flex as you wear them, but after a month of moderate usage, they are still as good as new.  But, again, I wouldn't opt for any other 9XXX IEM since the 9396's sound so much better.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #2,858 of 4,317
Im probably gonna get me a pair, but would the comply tips be good with these? I have got pretty small ear holes so i need a better tip than the stocks. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards comply tips.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,859 of 4,317
Quote:
Im probably gonna get me a pair, but would the comply tips be good with these? I have got pretty small ear holes so i need a better tip than the stocks. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards comply tips.

Yes, the Comply tips work well.  I tried them and the other flange-style suggestions in the thread and the Comply tips were the winner for me given that the others hurt my ears for some reason.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,860 of 4,317
These things sound really good, insanely good for the price, but they are brutally uncomfortable to me.  I think I am going to finally give up on trying to make them more comfortable (tried UE tips, monster supertips, comply foams, etc. etc.)  The housings are just too big and awkwardly constructed.  I don't really care because I have considerably better sounding and more comfortable headphones, so I'll give these to a friend along with their choice of tips.  These are the best, easiest, cheapest possible way of passing along hifi to your friends.  Just wanted to give my thumbs up for them...

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #2,863 of 4,317
Did hear some good things about these bad boys, so I ordered a couple sets. Went through my entire set of tips and it seemed like I was not getting a good seal but I think it was more that these do not isolate sound very well so it seemed like they were not sealed. Ended up with the small set from my jvc fx101s. Size is a problem to get these to fit right for me and they a not very comfortable. Sound is very clear in the mids and highs, cymbals etc. very clear with no distortion or running together of the different instruments. The low end is where this headphone just does not give me enough. Spoon's the underdog is very detailed but even sound of the claps, low strumming guitar are just not good enough because of the lack of low end and just do not have that punch. Soundstage is nice and spacious and vocals are very up front. Great headphone, especially for the price but because of the lack of bass, isolation and comfort, I will probably not use these much.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #2,865 of 4,317
Quote:

All three of the 9XXX IEMs are metal, although the 9396's are the flimsiest feeling of the three.  The plastic wire guide in the back seems especially flimsy because it is intended to flex as you wear them, but after a month of moderate usage, they are still as good as new.  But, again, I wouldn't opt for any other 9XXX IEM since the 9396's sound so much better.

Do they isolate any better than the 8320?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back