The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Aug 21, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,051 of 1,080
Nate's a natural 170 I'd guess. Granted, in great shape and trimmed down, and could probably weigh 185 without too much effort.

Being a 6 footer and weighing 155 is ... 
blink.gif

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,052 of 1,080
I recall Nate saying that the UFC always wanted him at 155, but he could go either way. Or something to that effect.

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #1,053 of 1,080
Spoiler..........................................................

And sadly won a BS decision just now.

Runs away for two rounds, gets hammered for at least one, and still wins.

Knocks him down 3 times...

It wasn't a BS decision. McGregor won that fight, even though it was close.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #1,054 of 1,080
  Knocks him down 3 times...

It wasn't a BS decision. McGregor won that fight, even though it was close.

Some fights are truly ********.
This wasn't one of them
I agree with you.

2 guys fighting out of division with no title implications and make 5 million combined and the company made a TON of cash and the fans saw an epic fight.

I love KO's and TKO's but watching the ebb and flow of a 25 minute fight

1.  knockdown when Nate's lead leg buckled odd...thought it might be over soon
  2. Thought Connor was gassing and about to get KO'd end of 2nd
  3. end of 3rd was almost a standing TKO (Conor was saved by the bell and good reffing)
  4. Connor gets a 2nd wind which I doubted he had

Not mentioned anywhere is Conor's TD defense. If Nate pulled him down when he was gassing it would have been over for conor.

Great fight

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,055 of 1,080

Some fights are truly ********.
This wasn't one of them
I agree with you.

2 guys fighting out of division with no title implications and make 5 million combined and the company made a TON of cash and the fans saw an epic fight.

I love KO's and TKO's but watching the ebb and flow of a 25 minute fight

1.  knockdown when Nate's lead leg buckled odd...thought it might be over soon
  2. Thought Connor was gassing and about to get KO'd end of 2nd
  3. end of 3rd was almost a standing TKO (Conor was saved by the bell and good reffing)
  4. Connor gets a 2nd wind which I doubted he had

Not mentioned anywhere is Conor's TD defense. If Nate pulled him down when he was gassing it would have been over for conor.

Great fight

We share opinions on this. I mean, the fight was exciting. I really thought Conor won, but it was close and really back and forth and both showed that they belong in there at a main event giving us amazing fights to remember. Also, both have deserved whatever good that comes off this fight - money, fame, enjoy guys .. you've earned it. Great fight, and yes, Conor showed really impressive TDD - he may not be able to defend takedowns against those elite wrestlers in the UFC, but it sure has evolved. 

Now, on to the dynamite: what did you think of Anthony Rumble Johnson? Whoah. I knew those hands were fast, powerful and would end this fight early, but man, even that ending caught me off guard. I thought they would at least have a little more exchanges before someone sleeping. But man, that uppercut was flawless. Right on the spot, with so much power. Scary, scary uppercut, and a really classy post fight interview, defending Cormier. I can't believe the boos he gets. It's disgusting. He's a dominant fighter, and people should've seen what he did in the HW division in Strikeforce.. slamming Barnett like it was nothing. Great fight upcoming.

Finally, Cowboy is wrecking people up in the 170 division. He's the right size for it, he's so fast and fluid at that weight and looks fresh and strong instead of dehydrated and thin like he does in LW. He'll be a force at 170 if he decides to stay there. I hope he does. I don't blame him for wanting that LW belt though..

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #1,056 of 1,080
  We share opinions on this. I mean, the fight was exciting. I really thought Conor won, but it was close and really back and forth and both showed that they belong in there at a main event giving us amazing fights to remember. Also, both have deserved whatever good that comes off this fight - money, fame, enjoy guys .. you've earned it. Great fight, and yes, Conor showed really impressive TDD - he may not be able to defend takedowns against those elite wrestlers in the UFC, but it sure has evolved. 

Now, on to the dynamite: what did you think of Anthony Rumble Johnson? Whoah. I knew those hands were fast, powerful and would end this fight early, but man, even that ending caught me off guard. I thought they would at least have a little more exchanges before someone sleeping. But man, that uppercut was flawless. Right on the spot, with so much power. Scary, scary uppercut, and a really classy post fight interview, defending Cormier. I can't believe the boos he gets. It's disgusting. He's a dominant fighter, and people should've seen what he did in the HW division in Strikeforce.. slamming Barnett like it was nothing. Great fight upcoming.

Finally, Cowboy is wrecking people up in the 170 division. He's the right size for it, he's so fast and fluid at that weight and looks fresh and strong instead of dehydrated and thin like he does in LW. He'll be a force at 170 if he decides to stay there. I hope he does. I don't blame him for wanting that LW belt though..

Folks say DC took wicked shots from Rumble but he had nothing like that uppercut hit him. That was brutal.
I only worry about DC going straight to wall and maul and smothering Rumble to test his gas tank which would be how Cain took away JDS's right hand and a few years and brain cells away in fights 2 &3. The blueprint for Rumble should be the same.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,057 of 1,080

Folks say DC took wicked shots from Rumble but he had nothing like that uppercut hit him. That was brutal.
I only worry about DC going straight to wall and maul and smothering Rumble to test his gas tank which would be how Cain took away JDS's right hand and a few years and brain cells away in fights 2 &3. The blueprint for Rumble should be the same.

Yep. That's pretty much the blueprint to every dangerous striker. That being said, what makes Rumble a little more exciting is that he actually can wrestle himself. Of course, DC is on another level, but still .. he would have to adjust to that bomb and not leaving his chin out there when going for a takedown.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,058 of 1,080
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2 guys fighting out of division with no title implications and make 5 million combined

Agreed it was a great fight, but the money is so out of proportion when Cerrone and at least a few other top welterweights could take out either one of these guys. And the rematch will be off the charts, as far as dollars go. Should be another good one.

The LHW division is getting interesting again. Cormier's smothering style is effective but not that entertaining, compared to Rumble's hands of stone. It also sounds like Bones could be back in play much sooner than we thought.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,059 of 1,080
That was a good card. I thought the Conor, Nate could have gone either way. I guess the decision was good because it means a 3rd fight. That said, I'm more interested in Johnson, Cormier coming up. Johnson is flat out scary. Conor and Nate are fun to watch fight, but neither seems as dominating as they used to against each other. End result, Conor won by a very close decision. Nate won the last fight by smashing, then submitting him. Not exactly the super fighter image Conor is trying to sell us but congrats. He did get it done, barely. 

Cerrone just continues to not only hang in there but prove he's still top tier. Its almost routine with him.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,060 of 1,080

I still got my shirt.

So... gets sat down by the Emperor, gives up the open shot to his right temple while going for a suicide underhook to grab a leg and roll out....pulls it off and throws a money shot short hook into Fedor's face and BOOM.

Last Pride guy who had a shot at a UFC belt retired today. He was one inch from exactly duplicating the "H" bomb he put on Bisping in what? 2009?

With knuckle heads running around like Bones "tears" Jones and Dan "give me a hug" Cormier among others I will miss Hendo's Old School lineage and attitude.

American badass with a very hot wife...he's doin fine.

**tips cap**

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #1,061 of 1,080
He's been a true legend in the sport and will be missed alright, although I think the UFC will employ him in some capacity, they'd be stupid not to.

As for the fight, apart from 2 big punches, some G&P and a 3 minute break to get his breath back, Bisping deserved the win, throwing far more kicks and punches and being the far busier fighter, well done Mike, nice job.   His face may take a while to return to normal though.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,062 of 1,080
This was far from the retribution Bisping was looking for. He kept the belt, but got beat up bad. Dan looked fine.  

I will miss Dan's fights, but I'm glad to hear he's going to be involved in the UFC still. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,063 of 1,080
Finally we have Conor in his proper weight class again, with an even tougher opponent than dos Anjos would have been. The rest of UFC 205 is looking pretty good too, right on down to at least about halfway through the undercard. Here's hoping that nobody gets hurt training, it seems like there's been too much of that lately.

popcorn.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #1,064 of 1,080
Finally we have Conor in his proper weight class again, with an even tougher opponent than dos Anjos would have been. The rest of UFC 205 is looking pretty good too, right on down to at least about halfway through the undercard. Here's hoping that nobody gets hurt training, it seems like there's been too much of that lately.

:popcorn:  

Never jinx a good card! Injuries and..USADA, Bisping and Mousassi's friend. :wink: As a big Bisping fan I was not at all happy with his performance; so much too obvious trash talk to sell the fight (gonna smash your face in? Really Michael? Oops!) And talking about dodging the predictable H-bomb and still walking into it. /sigh. Lot of middleweights licking their lips in anticipation. Don't see him holding the belt for another defence, sadly but Parillo might reset him and steady him up.
But for me, Mousassi gets the nod for impressive performance. Really coming into his prime at a time when middleweights are blooming all around. Top 5 contender for sure.
November...yup, can't wait already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back