The Mi Headphones by Xiaomi (Lively Discussions starting Page 7)
Apr 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #76 of 139
OT:

hi fairx.

I assume you bought the Superlux HD 681 EVO? That's in my wishlist. Could you PM me your impression? Thanks!

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #78 of 139
Today is the official Xiaomi Headphone selling day in Hong Kong. So far I have not received a series review and I am holding my purchase. Having had AKG K545, K550 K721Pro recently and the incredibly sounded TTPod T2 along with siblings T1 T1e T1s...I am very hesitant. Xiaomi Piston 2 looks great and is well packed. However the sound is not that great

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #79 of 139
Oh. Expensive IEMs. How I wish I could own even just 1 of those.

Piston 2? Or you mean the Piston 3?

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #80 of 139
Just ordered the headphones from their Singapore webpage. They limit stocks to create demand. Was sold out in under 10 minutes from the look of things.
Wanted something light for everyday use with the laptop. My orthos are too heavy for such use.

Edit: Friend at work says they're doing a second round of headphone sales at 8PM tonight. Works out to about 88 USD in total.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #81 of 139
I was able to listen to this headphone a few weeks ago. Maybe it was a prototype and they have improved things now, because it sounded rather .. strange. I can't really explain why, but it seemed that the low, mids and highs were off by a big mark.  Like, the low-end is boomy and doesn't extend well, the mids were very thin sounding (like the MDR-Z7), and the highs were piercingly harsh. Something went really wrong here. 

Was driven by a portable iBasso thingy. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #83 of 139
Lowyat.net got some impressions:

http://www.lowyat.net/2015/04/xiaomi-mi-headphones-a-sound-engineers-review/

here I posted the excerpt on SQ

Stereo imaging and width on the Mi Headphones are very impressive for this price point. Vocals and instruments can be heard clearly and there is good depth and separation in the sound stage, making it quite an enjoyable experience.

However, that’s if you get past the first thing you notice when using the headphones: it’s pretty bass-heavy. There is a lot of energy in the sub-bass, lows and lower-mid frequencies when compared to the Urbanite and M50. A bottom-heavy sound, or pumped-up bass response can be desirable for some, particularly to bass heads as the low-end boost accentuates the resonance frequencies of kicks, snares, toms and bass, making them sound more punchy and energetic. But, this also causes the overall mix to sound boomy, muddy, loose and cluttered – it’s especially apparent with music which already has a lot of low-end energy present.

This bass-heavy approach also can be a little distracting for some people, especially for those like me who prefer a much flatter tonal balance and tighter low-end. When it comes to audio, there’s always some subjectivity involved.

In the high mids and highs, there are no real harshness or piercing sibilance, which is pleasant. However, at this range the audio is a bit muffled and lacking in a bit of clarity when compared to the M50. In the highs, the Mi Headphones is almost like the polar opposite of the M50, where the M50 can be a bit harsh while the Mi Headphones can sound a bit tame.

Having said that, for its price range, the Mi Headphones really does sound good, clear and detailed with an added low-end oomph (for better or worse, depending on what you prefer). Its impedance level is also designed to be suitable for mobile phone outputs. Furthermore, due to its open back construction, you could really wear it for long periods of time and not fatigue your ears as quickly as the M50 or Urbanite.

Naturally, the Mi Headphones are not designed for professional use for monitoring or mixing (where critical listening and accurate tonal balance is paramount) like the entry-level M50 are, but then again how many people out there actually need a pair of professional headphones unless your job requires you to?

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #84 of 139
Just ordered the headphones from their Singapore webpage. They limit stocks to create demand. Was sold out in under 10 minutes from the look of things.
Wanted something light for everyday use with the laptop. My orthos are too heavy for such use.

Edit: Friend at work says they're doing a second round of headphone sales at 8PM tonight. Works out to about 88 USD in total.

Hoarders. So it was really on $90~100 Price Range

Good luck!

I was able to listen to this headphone a few weeks ago. Maybe it was a prototype and they have improved things now, because it sounded rather .. strange. I can't really explain why, but it seemed that the low, mids and highs were off by a big mark.  Like, the low-end is boomy and doesn't extend well, the mids were very thin sounding (like the MDR-Z7), and the highs were piercingly harsh. Something went really wrong here. 

Was driven by a portable iBasso thingy. 

That might be a prototype or review one. Those are flooded with flaw like any other product.

Kinda ironic, but now that they are finally out, I'm actually debating whether to get a pair of these. May wait for some more reviews before I consider it.

That would be better mate.

Lowyat.net got some impressions:

http://www.lowyat.net/2015/04/xiaomi-mi-headphones-a-sound-engineers-review/

here I posted the excerpt on SQ

Thanks FairX. I quote you in page 1.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #85 of 139
So far I get the impression that these are basically the 'big daddy' of the piston 2.0s? The highs being a bit more tame though and still maintaining the 'bassy'-ness of the 2.0s.

Having said that, it still seems a good buy for the price.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #86 of 139
Apr 10, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #87 of 139
So far I get the impression that these are basically the 'big daddy' of the piston 2.0s? The highs being a bit more tame though and still maintaining the 'bassy'-ness of the 2.0s.

Having said that, it still seems a good buy for the price.

That being said, Xiaomi headphones's fans are bass-heads. Luxury-type too.

I received mine yesterday and I put up an unboxing video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9IKsY7y1OI

I also have video with the ear pads and how they work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0SVpH4mcik

Great video Weithulu! I will link you in the front page! Looks forward for your sound performance review.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #88 of 139
Just pulled the trigger during Xiaomi 5th Anniversary Sale. Waiting for its arrival so that I can have a comparison on my other headphones - AKG K702, VModa and Bluedio wireless. Basically, I don't have a pair of audiophile ear and my music is generally oldies from 50s onwards (I'm a senior citizen by the way).

There is a review on this phone at http://www.lowyat.net/2015/04/xiaomi-mi-headphones-a-sound-engineers-review/

To me, this is cheap and with good workmanship.

Will update when I receive this phone.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #89 of 139
Hi sir Greenarrow! o>

I don't even have an audiophile ear, but there are noticeable difference that we could figure out. I'm 23 but do still love listening to 80s-90s music. I might listening to older music which IDK what year it is released.

Yes, we already have that review, actually it is linked on the first page second post of this thread. Anyways, thanks again for the share.

We're looking forward for your personal review of this hphones.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #90 of 139
They have stock at the Singapore site, really tempting but I really fear that it will sound like the pistons. Too 'V' shape sound for me and the piston's highs can kill me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back