The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery
Jul 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #182 of 1,426
  If you put your pointer before the check box and swipe the whole line you can right click the highlighted line and open in a new tab with Firefox, should work as well in Chrome.

Switch to the new tab and have a look, close that tab which will bring you back to the vote tab and make your mark...

Do the same for the rest of the lines, no cut and paste needed.
beerchug.gif

Hey, thanks for that tip.  I can't test it myself, because I've already voted, but I'm glad you found a way to simplify the process.

Mike

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #184 of 1,426
Mike, what if members comment (respectfully) in both directions - in favor and with gentle suggestions that, while nice, some of our pics don't belong in the gallery.

I would be ok with someone saying something like "nice gear, but I don't think the image meets the gallery requirements"

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #185 of 1,426
Mike, what if members comment (respectfully) in both directions - in favor and with gentle suggestions that, while nice, some of our pics don't belong in the gallery.

I would be ok with someone saying something like "nice gear, but I don't think the image meets the gallery requirements"

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #186 of 1,426

You're a true gentleman, for saying that, but some people can't handle criticism as well, and it's easier to vote anonymously (at least I think it is), than to openly, though gently, tell someone (to their face) that their photo isn't up to snuff.    

Years ago, I belonged to a PSA photography club.  These clubs encourage improvement of technique and self-assessment through regular, formal judging of member submissions, but the judges were always local professional photographers, invited to perform that task, not from among the members themselves.  It's a sticky business to be sure. Art is a very personal thing and, frankly, novice photographers have a hard time distinguishing what they feel when they look at a photograph they've taken, from what's objectively visible in the image.  

Successful images incite some degree of emotional response in nearly everyone who looks at them. An unsuccessful image is dead, right out of the gate, for nearly everyone except the photographer, who can feel and remember all kinds of things that aren't recorded in the image. Exceptions are badly produced portraits, as viewed by the subject, where vanity can kick in, or as viewed by a loved one - where a mother sees her baby's smile and can be blissfully unaware of faults in a photograph taken by a trainee at the JCPenny portrait booth.

All that said, I will run with your suggestion as a Plan B, after we've finished this poll. Several people have indirectly approved of this current approach by taking the time to cast their votes,so I feel as if I'm stuck, for now.

Thanks,

Mike

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #187 of 1,426
Mike - to be clear - I have no problem with what you're doing here.  Your thread - so your rules. I'm not peeved or anything, and I have no sensitivity regarding having a photo voted off.  It's just not what I thought the thread was originally.

I guess the other thing that puzzled me - was this ......

Here were the photos I selected - I guess I should have uploaded the original as others had done - I resized to 1200 x 800 simply to assist with bandwidth.

I have 100's of photos on the Head-Fi servers because of my reviews.  I carefully selected those two as they were the best of what I had taken so far.  The comment I got back after posting those (from another member) was:

Beautiful!! (Both Brooko and FullCircle.) Keep it up. This is what zilch had in mind when he created this thread, (assuming I can read his mind.) 

You can imagine how puzzled I was when all of a sudden my post was indicated by you as being one of those which is clearly questionable in your opinion as belonging to the thread.  No-one's fault - I clearly just had the wrong idea of what you were after.

And obviously you're considering the post as one of the ones that probably should be pulled - I mean you've selected 10 posts from around 70-80 actually containing photographic content - many of them containing multiple photos.  Assuming you do this several times - eventually my photos would be pulled anyway - meaning mine are clearly not up to standard required.  I accept that - and I'd rather pull them now.

I can always repost them in the other thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/212768/pics-of-headphones-rules-one-pic-no-words

Might be where they really belong anyway.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #188 of 1,426
I wonder if things are further complicated when people post multiple pics in the same post (which is what I did each time) thereby potentially dragging down a great shot with lesser ones - a potential example being my Bottlehead pictures post which I have since edited to leave just the artistically photographed shot of the Mainline. I'm not suggesting that the Mainline shot is therefore necessarily up-to-snuff, but it was certainly a far better photo (IMO) than the others I included in the excitement of the moment.

PS Brooko, I'm not pointing at your photos here - I'm posting this directly after your post because your post included 2 photos (as did mine) and got me thinking "which one am I voting for if I vote for a multi-pic post?" It's not a judgement/comment on the quality of either your photos, but just a discussion of process.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #189 of 1,426
I think all posts should be one picture each, makes it much easier to judge IMHO.

I am quite surprised I wasn't chosen for the axe as I'm just a hack when it comes to photography... :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #192 of 1,426
  Swapped out my previous pictures for something more "fine art".

I don't remember what was there, but I like your current photo.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/699781/the-member-judged-fine-art-head-fi-gallery/180#post_10689788

(For everyone else's sake, this was not one of the links included in the poll.)

redface.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #193 of 1,426
Hi all, I am a huge fan of good music and photography, a proclaimed amateur of both, nonetheless it never fails to satisfy me to no end, when I get the occasional chance to merge both passions into one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back