The Masterpiece Thread - Every time you buy an album that's a masterpiece, post here.
Mar 29, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #166 of 275
Not necessarilly my favorites, but what I consider masterpieces in my collection:

Giant Robot - Superweekend/Domesticity
LaMonte Young - The Second Dream of The High-Tension Line Stepdown Transformer...
Supersilent - 6
Brian Eno - Music for Airports/Another Green World
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon/Division Bell
Outkast - Stankonia
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions...
Kemopetrol - Slowed Down
Radiohead - OK Computer
Rush - Moving Pictures
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue/In a Silent Way
David Bowie - Outside
Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
Neil Young - After The Gold Rush
Roxy Music - Stranded/Siren
Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #167 of 275
Beck - Sea Change
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Led Zeppelin - ZOSO
Phish - Junta
Muse - Absolution

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #168 of 275
I consider a masterpiece an album that is near flawless. Where not every single song is 100% perfect, but every song is like a puzzle piece and together they form a near perfect experience.

At the same time some albums I consider my "faves" aren't even masterpieces - they may not "flow" as well or have a song or two that may be out of place quality wise or thematically, but other songs on the album more than make up for that.

So this isn't my FAVES album list (although some of these are on there), but a list of the Masterpieces in my collection (in no order...and I'm sure I forgot a few):

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
Heaven Or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins
Permanent Waves - Rush
Hounds Of Love - Kate Bush
The Sensual World - Kate Bush
Master Of Puppets - Metallica
The Joshua Tree - U2
Lifes Rich Pageant - R.E.M.
Document - R.E.M.
Washing Machine - Sonic Youth
Dirt - Alice In Chain
Angel Dust - Faith No More
Moving Pictures - Rush
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
The Unforgettable Fire - U2
OK Computer - Radiohead
Kid A - Radiohead
The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
TNT - Tortoise -
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Elemental - Tears For Fears
Wish - The Cure
Eccasame The Photon Band - Lilys
Perspex Island - Robyn Hitchcock
I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got - Sinead O'Connor
We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes - Death Cab For Cutie
Led Zepellin II - Led Zepellin
Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
The Red Line - Trans Am
Relayer - Yes

And still waiting for Godspeed You Black Emperor's Masterpiece...the first track on Lift Yr. Skinny Fists... is a TRUE masterpiece but the next 3 tracks were nowhere near that track's perfection.

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #169 of 275
A few more contenders:
Terry Riley - In C
Moondog - Moondog
Elgar - Enigma Variations

and close but no cigar:
Scientist - Rids The World Of The Curse Of The Vampires
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #171 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71
I consider a masterpiece an album that is near flawless. Where not every single song is 100% perfect, but every song is like a puzzle piece and together they form a near perfect experience.

I agree. A masterpiece isn't about the quality of any indidual songs, ideas, or sound, its about the impact it has as an album.

I dont really listen to the Door's self titled album that much. When I listen to the doors, I prefer LA Woman, etc. But I think as an album, it is pretty incredible, and changed the world of music in a pretty big way.

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #172 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71
And still waiting for Godspeed You Black Emperor's Masterpiece...the first track on Lift Yr. Skinny Fists... is a TRUE masterpiece but the next 3 tracks were nowhere near that track's perfection.

You need to look no further than the album Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada, which is their second album followed (in terms of masterpiece-nish [ya, i made up a word]) by F# A# (Infinity). Both are amazing.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #173 of 275
I'm not going to list my favs, just newly purchased music that I'm loving at the moment. From First To Last's new CD "Heroine". Its amazing. If you like a metalcore sound, but this is a little more mature than their earlier work.

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #175 of 275
Hi, on these classical recommendations, it would be great if you could include the actual album. There's so much difference between different recordings. For example, one day listening to the radio in the car I went so nuts for Boulez' Bruckner 8th that I pulled over at the next record store. But they didn't have that version. I bought Gunter Wand instead and it did absolutely nothing for me. Thanks for this great thread. I'll post mine soon.

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #176 of 275
Their timelessness may fade, but here are a few recent purchases that I find myself listening to 3-4 times in a row, day after day:
  1. Leonard Cohen "Ten New Songs"
  2. Rubén González "Chanchullo"
  3. Sergio Mendez "Timeless"
I never would have even sampled the last one in record store, but on a long plane flight I found myself listening to it over and over without even realizing it.

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #177 of 275
I'm diggin the lists...I do think Can has been noticeably absent though...selon moi...

Can --Ege Bamyasi
Flaming Lips-- Soft Bulletin (check out the 5.1!)
Squarepusher--Hard Normal Daddy
Zappa--Joe's Garage (the ultimate schizo. musical narrative
icon10.gif
)

Apr 4, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #178 of 275
Well from my extremely small collection of albums (a mere 20
biggrin.gif
), I would consider only one to be a masterpiece:

Engima - MCMXC a.D. Limited Edition

B000005RST.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

IMHO, it is a perfect album which Enigma has yet to improve on, even after several new releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back