The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Jan 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #301 of 1,624
OK, ordered mine today.

I went for a fully assembled one with Talema 30VA Toroidal, stepped pot and Dual 627 Class A Bias MOD Pack (with Bias 3.49mA installed). I also asked for a dim blue power led 
rolleyes.gif

Now I have to wait and this is not the funniest part of the whole thing !

I asked Stephen about his recommended settings for use with Grados (in fact Alessandro MS-1 at this time...), what would yours be regarding gain and opamp ?

This will be my first amp and I need to be guided somewhat in the right direction.

Thanks !

-DarkskyZ

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #302 of 1,624

Quote:
OK, ordered mine today.

I went for a fully assembled one with Talema 30VA Toroidal, stepped pot and Dual 627 Class A Bias MOD Pack (with Bias 3.49mA installed). I also asked for a dim blue power led 
rolleyes.gif

Now I have to wait and this is not the funniest part of the whole thing !

I asked Stephen about his recommended settings for use with Grados (in fact Alessandro MS-1 at this time...), what would yours be regarding gain and opamp ?

This will be my first amp and I need to be guided somewhat in the right direction.

Thanks !

-DarkskyZ

Sorry to be curious, but for how much total goes?

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #305 of 1,624

Thanks !

-DarkskyZ

Be guided by your own ears. Seriously, there is no better way to make your own personal choice. Changing gains is definitely not difficult with the dip switches below. Neither should just simply swapping out opamps.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #309 of 1,624
shrisha if you own Grados the best setting would be first below the highest - I think 18dB (second DIP switch ON, first OFF). I use that setting on SR 225. Maybe you will think that gain is too high, but it is not. OPA 627 likes high gain. (OPA 637 needs it.) I founded that bass is to weak for everything below 5. Stock OPA 3124 is just opposite.

For ATH, I use 10dB (first ON, second OFF). They are easy to drive.

- Because of regulator imbalance (LM317 = +14.8V and LM337 = -15.1) I had to use trimpot instead of 1.1K resistor. When the amplifier reaches operating temperature, DC offset is below 0.7mV. I lowered output voltage to +/- 14.2 V because this gives me the lowest DC offset, and I do not need big voltage swing for low impedance headphones.
- replaced the stock BC-s (550 i 560) with BC109C and BC179C.
- replaced Siemens/Epcos MKT input caps with ERO MKC 1862.
- replaced stock ERO MKC bypass caps with ERO KP 1837.
- replaced ELNA blue capacitors with Panasonic FM (same capacity).
- replaced Nichicon imput caps (4700uF) with Mundorf Mlityc (same capacity)
- replaced ADJ caps on LM317/337 with tantalum (10uF) for better load regulation

Right now I am very satisfied. I owned Matrix M Stage six months ago, but this one is better. Especially if I compare DC offset that in M Stage was around 8mV, and in Lovely Cube it is below 1mV. Sound is more "in front" and less clinical, what I really like. It is pitty that there is no enough room for Cerafine because FM-s are sometimes too shrill and too rough. Cerafines are slow but sweeeeet... :)

Now I have plans to make another Lovely Cube... But with other rersistors (PRP, Mills/Kiwame, Takman), with new regulator (LT317A, LT337A) and rest will be the same (BC109/179, matched BD-s and ERO MKC/KP/polystyrene caps).

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #312 of 1,624
Always welcome. And one big fact. Never save on transformer. Transformer has BIG influence on sound, especially if you are trying to run amp in A class. In that case, the bigger is always better. I think, for Lovely Cube, 25VA is minimum. Even 50VA is not to much. If transformer goes hot when you listening to music, that means that you have to replace it with bigger. Transformer must always have "a fair amount of reserves". Another Lovely Cube is in process of making. (Well, in the process of buying required parts...) :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #313 of 1,624

Quote:
Always welcome. And one big fact. Never save on transformer. Transformer has BIG influence on sound, especially if you are trying to run amp in A class. In that case, the bigger is always better. I think, for Lovely Cube, 25VA is minimum. Even 50VA is not to much. If transformer goes hot when you listening to music, that means that you have to replace it with bigger. Transformer must always have "a fair amount of reserves". Another Lovely Cube is in process of making. (Well, in the process of buying required parts...) :)

Why the same amp twice? Why not M3 for a change, or something else?

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #314 of 1,624
With this amp I am totaly satisfied. (Right now.) Especially on Grado SR225. I am sure that there is a lot better amps on the market and in diy world...
I like to stick with: "Keep it simple as possible, because you can save your money on quantity and spend on quality." (Buy two Takmans instead of 20 no name metal films, buy two ERO KP instead 20 ceramics, and so on...)
M3 is not so simple, it has much more parts (with PSU). So, it costs a lot more...

Excellent amplifier demands excellent source... Do I have flawless source at home? No. I don't. Do I listen to only uncompressed and FLAC music? No. I don't.
So, having 50% better amp will cost me 150% more and will give me 2% better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back