The Loudness war has made the comics
Oct 19, 2009 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fatcat28037

Headphoneus Supremus
Zits 10/19/09
image.jpg

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 14
very nice...
My favorite loudness issue is when an artists first album is really well recorded at a nice neutral level, so when you buy the second one expecting the same thing, and yikes! it's recorded like a daytime TV commercial!

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 14
Hmm, I initially thought it was about the loudness war too, but now think it is trying to point out the irony of providing music that was "remastered using state-of-the-art technology to lovingly maintain the integrity of the original recordings" to the iPod generation. In this case, no iPod, but listening on a lo-fi laptop is the joke.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 14
I don't know how to take it.

You guys have no idea how many times I have remastered something for someone and all they complain about is how it doesn't sound right on their laptop or ipod buds.
angry_face.gif

My come back "What doesn't sound right?"

Response: "I have to turn up the volume!"
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

My final response: "Then do that or go to someone else to butcher your music."
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

People are so accustomed to hearing crap music on crap speakers. It drives me nuts. Most recent victim of the loudness craze:

crazylove.jpg

Could have been an audiophile album but some songs sound like they are recorded in a tin can and the entire album is brickwalled. SAD!
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zits 10/19/09
image.jpg

Actually if the recording is clipping, and it's loud from the speakers, the volume is down on the pre-amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually if the recording is clipping, and it's loud from the speakers, the volume is down on the pre-amp.

I don't know of any laptops with preamps to their speakers or why you even brought up clipping. You lost me on how that has to do with anything here in this thread.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I don't know of any laptops with preamps

Volume and the mixers are the pre-amp. If it didn't have a pre-amp it'll be at full volume, or none. Also clipping = recorderd loud. Therefore if you play a track that's recorded loud, to get it to play loud, the pre-amp will be lower (than a CD with low gain level for example classical)

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys have no idea how many times I have remastered something for someone and all they complain about is how it doesn't sound right on their laptop or ipod buds.
angry_face.gif

My come back "What doesn't sound right?"

Response: "I have to turn up the volume!"
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

My final response: "Then do that or go to someone else to butcher your music."
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

But realistically, that's about the only thing you can do in such a case. If you have done everything in your power to ensure optimum quality and the customer doesn't get that, then basically it's not your fault. Maybe a short briefing on what to expect beforehand could be useful, possibly along with a demo on good equipment afterwards (with the volume up...). Or what about a nod to the Turn Me Up! initiative somewhere?

My hopes in case of the loudness craze are on Replaygain. Universal support of this would render the whole affair pretty moot (or at least one way to butcher a record), as there would no longer be any advantage of high average levels. Imagine the remasters of stuff originally released during the remastering era (i.e. the present), now how ironic would that be?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But realistically, that's about the only thing you can do in such a case. If you have done everything in your power to ensure optimum quality and the customer doesn't get that, then basically it's not your fault. Maybe a short briefing on what to expect beforehand could be useful, possibly along with a demo on good equipment afterwards (with the volume up...). Or what about a nod to the Turn Me Up! initiative somewhere?

Yes. That's exactly what I do. I usually show them the video in my signature and try to explain exactly what compression and limiting does and demonstrate it on my system when possible. Education is always key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back