The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #256 of 578

cswann1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Posts
1,656
Likes
91
Quote:
Personally these are my favorite with my LD MK IV SE: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-TELEFUNKEN-6AK5-5654-6AK5W-Tubes-for-Little-Dot-headphone-amp-MK-IV-3-4-/290678560214
 
 

Holy SHYTE!   $40 for a single driver tube?  Do they come with a Sports Illustrated Swimsuite Edition cover model?
 
 
 
 
On the topic of appreciating my MKIVse...
 
...a year or so ago I decided to take the plunge into electrostats.  I bought some Stax and a Woo Wee and using a small power amp that I got for only the cost of shipping from a generous Head-Fier I was on my way.
 
I hooked everything up and started a favorite track.  It sounded like garbage.  There was some horrible noise coming from the amp.  I remembered that the Little Dot could also pull double duty as a pre-amp.  I scrounged up a second pair of interconnects and have not looked back since. 
 
My current rig (for over a year) Denon DVD-2900 -> Little Dot MKIVse ->Sonic Impact Super T-amp -> Woo Wee -> Stax SR404
 
I still keep my dynamics but compared the the stats they just sound dull and boring.  Kinda sucks really lol cause I loved my HD580's.
 
Jan 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #257 of 578

mab1376

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Posts
968
Likes
227
Location
Long Island
Quote:
Holy SHYTE!   $40 for a single driver tube?  Do they come with a Sports Illustrated Swimsuite Edition cover model?
 
 
 
 
On the topic of appreciating my MKIVse...
 
...a year or so ago I decided to take the plunge into electrostats.  I bought some Stax and a Woo Wee and using a small power amp that I got for only the cost of shipping from a generous Head-Fier I was on my way.
 
I hooked everything up and started a favorite track.  It sounded like garbage.  There was some horrible noise coming from the amp.  I remembered that the Little Dot could also pull double duty as a pre-amp.  I scrounged up a second pair of interconnects and have not looked back since. 
 
My current rig (for over a year) Denon DVD-2900 -> Little Dot MKIVse ->Sonic Impact Super T-amp -> Woo Wee -> Stax SR404
 
I still keep my dynamics but compared the the stats they just sound dull and boring.  Kinda sucks really lol cause I loved my HD580's.

That's not what I paid, they've jacked up the price since I bought them a few months ago.
 
Jan 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #258 of 578

BobJS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 6, 2012
Posts
1,661
Likes
981
Location
Dayton, OH
Quote:
A week and 2 days later, it's (SE) unpacked and glowing.  In the past half hour, I've tried it with my HE-500, HD600, and Mad Dogs.  It sounds very similar to the Schiit Lyr..... in fact doing a quick A/B comparison, the Lyr sounds a bit more fluid and velvety.   But the LD is not too shabby out of the box.  This is all at default gain, which puts me at about 40-50 %.  I'm picking up a hint of sibilance on the highs --- not great since I'm also awaiting the arrival of a Beyer T1.   Can I expect this baby to smooth out with some burn in?

 
So my Beyer T1 came in.  Sounded crappy on the Asgard.  Sounded good on the Lyr.  Sounded REALLY great on the LD.  HD600 sounds better on the LD as well.  Those lower impedance phones sound better though on the Lyr.  I was going to sell one tube amp or the other, but it appears I need both .....
 
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #260 of 578

Steelsix

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 23, 2012
Posts
10
Likes
1
This thread is amazing, 2+ years old and still going!
 
I set out first week in December to buy my first set of high end phones, and grabbed a pair of Beyer DT990 600 ohm for Christmas. I also  ordered a Bravo Ocean tube amp from China. After realizing I bought too little amp, I came back to school and decided on a MK IV SE. It's more than I wanted to spend; but the more I read, the less I think about the cost. What an amazingly well built piece of hardware. I'm stoked!
 
I see myself passing it on to my daughter some day. So few things these days are built well enough to pass down. Am I on target when I say this thing looks like it will endure?
 
One thing I haven't seen is detail on how they're packed. Can a recent buyer comment? Are they packed well enough to come out of international shipping looking perfect? Yea there's always a chance for damage, but in general, how well are they packaged?
 
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #261 of 578

mab1376

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Posts
968
Likes
227
Location
Long Island
I got mine in Nov 2011 and from what I remember it was very sturdy foam. The tubes are in their own boxes with packing peanuts.
 
I'm playing some Primus through mine now with my HD650s and Bifrost and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
 

 
Also have some fun tube rolling, you can pickup some different 6AK5 tubes off ebay for >$10 a pair.
 
Jan 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #263 of 578

BobJS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 6, 2012
Posts
1,661
Likes
981
Location
Dayton, OH
Quote:
This thread is amazing, 2+ years old and still going!
 
I set out first week in December to buy my first set of high end phones, and grabbed a pair of Beyer DT990 600 ohm for Christmas. I also  ordered a Bravo Ocean tube amp from China. After realizing I bought too little amp, I came back to school and decided on a MK IV SE. It's more than I wanted to spend; but the more I read, the less I think about the cost. What an amazingly well built piece of hardware. I'm stoked!
 
I see myself passing it on to my daughter some day. So few things these days are built well enough to pass down. Am I on target when I say this thing looks like it will endure?
 
One thing I haven't seen is detail on how they're packed. Can a recent buyer comment? Are they packed well enough to come out of international shipping looking perfect? Yea there's always a chance for damage, but in general, how well are they packaged?


Just got one, it's packed very well; arrived in perfect shape.  I previously decided I was only going to keep one tube amp, though, so it's for sale (see link below).
 
Jan 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #265 of 578

mab1376

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Posts
968
Likes
227
Location
Long Island
Based on the avatar, its probably because the HE-500 is much better suited for the Lyr which can output 4W into 32 Ohms
 
Jan 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #267 of 578

mab1376

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Posts
968
Likes
227
Location
Long Island
I gotta say these Tung Sol 6AK5W/5654 tubes really bring new life to my T70s, it is a much wider sound stage and a little more mid bass with some extra kick in the sub bass, still very tight though. I hope the 6N6P-IR tubes improve on this further.
 
Feb 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #268 of 578

voxx

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 22, 2013
Posts
14
Likes
10
Feb 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #269 of 578

bruce108

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Posts
91
Likes
10
Check with David at Little Dot to see if this guy is an authorised re-seller. What's at stake is your warranty: bought direct, it's two years. You could also ask the seller - and compare the two replies. The price offered by szclever is below LDs which says grey product to me, but maybe I'm too sceptical.
 
 
Feb 27, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #270 of 578

voxx

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 22, 2013
Posts
14
Likes
10
Quote:
Check with David at Little Dot to see if this guy is an authorised re-seller. What's at stake is your warranty: bought direct, it's two years. You could also ask the seller - and compare the two replies. The price offered by szclever is below LDs which says grey product to me, but maybe I'm too sceptical.
 

Thanks for that. I'll email David and will report back with what he says.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top