The Leben CS300XS Thread
Nov 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,116 of 2,299
  anyone have experience with the new CS300F? I can only find one review so far. 
basshead.gif

i will be matching it with AKG K701, gardo 325 and denon D7100. any idea? thanks! 

You might consider using a vintage circa late 1970s receiver to drive your headphones. I was following these vintage units for awhile and finally took the plunge about 5 months ago. I have not looked back ever since. I bought a concept 16.5 monster vintage receiver and it easily trumps most headphone amps that I have heard for driving headphones. The available power that a unit like the 16.5 produces with headphones is considerably more than most headphone amps out there. Of course the unit I bought was recapped which anyone with a unit this old should consider having done on your unit. Parts do age over that period of time for sure. The concept 16.5 put out 165 watts rms at 8 ohms and 240 watts rms at 4 ohms per channel. The 16.5 is a real beast with headphones.

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,117 of 2,299

You might consider using a vintage circa late 1970s receiver to drive your headphones. I was following these vintage units for awhile and finally took the plunge about 5 months ago. I have not looked back ever since. I bought a concept 16.5 monster vintage receiver and it easily trumps most headphone amps that I have heard for driving headphones. The available power that a unit like the 16.5 produces with headphones is considerably more than most headphone amps out there. Of course the unit I bought was recapped which anyone with a unit this old should consider having done on your unit. Parts do age over that period of time for sure. The concept 16.5 put out 165 watts rms at 8 ohms and 240 watts rms at 4 ohms per channel. The 16.5 is a real beast with headphones.

Thanks! i will look into it. i must admit, my 20 years old denon receiver does a better job than the audiolab 8200 CDQ i have. I do question if some of the new design is all just about cost cutting.... 

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #2,118 of 2,299
I liked the Q cable the best with the LCD-3, although I'm not someone who thinks cables make a huge difference, only a very subtle one.

Thanks Skylab!

The Q cable is one of my shortlist...the others being Moon Silver Dragon and Artisan silver. Q looks like better value of the lot.

I agree cables don't always make a difference...thought there have been a few instances where cables have made a big difference in my system.

With Leben + Audeze combo I am keen to explore where the diminishing returns kick in :)

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #2,119 of 2,299
Hi all,

This will be my first post on the Head-Fi Forum, very pleased to join you after having read many threads here.
Important to know that I'm a full Newbee in "cans" as I've been mostly listening to music for Hi Fi with Speakers.

Just a quick sum-up of my configuration :
- Speakers : Proac D18 / MrSpeakers Alpha Prime
- Amp : Leben CS600
- Dac : Hegel HD25
- Source : SOTM SMS100 with dedicated battery - Configuration in DLNA / JRiver&JRemote / Nas Synology 2 x 3TB

I've just bought a MrSpeakers Alpha Prime (after having read many reviews and the full thread here) and I don't understand because it seems to me it doesn't work properly :
- Very litlle bass / no sub-bass => hence a not well balanced sound (too bright)
- Saturated sound when I put the volume above 11/12 o clock (and the sound doesn't seem loud at all)

All in all I have a MUCH better sound with my stupid 75€ Marshall Major Headphone !

My question is simple : can the leben CS600 drive properly those cans ?
MrSpeaker recommand to have a headphone power rating of 200mW at 50 ohms. Does any one knows the power rating of the Leben CS600's headphone jack ? 

Many thanks in adavnce for your help,
Julien

PS : I maybe also post this to the MrSpeakers AP Thread 

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,122 of 2,299

Julz, to my old ears, I've found the Leben amps to sound much better (great) with high impedance headphones - think HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1 type impedance.  When I was using my CS600 with headphones, I married it to T1's - it worked excellent for me. 

~michael

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #2,123 of 2,299
That has not been my experience. I don't think any amp does a better job with LCD-3s.

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #2,124 of 2,299

Julz, to my old ears, I've found the Leben amps to sound much better (great) with high impedance headphones - think HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1 type impedance.  When I was using my CS600 with headphones, I married it to T1's - it worked excellent for me. 

~michael

That has not been my experience. I don't think any amp does a better job with LCD-3s.

Thanks for your help and advices, but I'm looking for closed cans as I mainly listen to music through my ProAC D18.
I justed wanted a good closed Hi Fi headphone when my wife asked me for some rest after 4 hours of music in a raw... Women.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #2,125 of 2,299
I use both low and high impedance headphones with my 300X. In my experience they sound better with my LCD-3, ZMF Vibro (which is also a modified T50RP similar to your mr Speakers). While my HD-600 also sound great, they has a higher noise floor compared to the low impedance cans.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,126 of 2,299
an 'inside' headsup/interest check, since you also apprechiate the traints of this amp.. :)

I might soon (= within the next four weeks) sell a cs300xs in mint condition with excellent tubes (including Raytheon Black Plate Windmill Getter 5751, NOS Tung Sols 12AX7's, and Valvo EL84 (Hamburg, Germany) from old stock. Same code: rX3 D, Matched quad gold pins gold grid 6P14P-ER Reflector (EL84 7189 6BQ5) NOS, stock sovtek EL83 and 84, Testla E83CC (frame grid, excellent)..  in V230 Version it is from 2009, I have all original paperwork, the headphone output seems to be pre-the change that they had when they lowered the Voltage (so it can easily drive the LCD-2s)

The amp is silent with Sony R10's and has a small (!) amount of humm with HD650 (but none that I could detect even in quiate parts, only with music turned off).

best, Nonno

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #2,127 of 2,299
I am thinking of upgrading my headphone. I never heard of any Audeze headphone. I could get either the lcd-3 and lcd-2. My source is MacBook Pro. DAC is MHDT Pagoda (neutral sounding). Headphone amp is Leben CS600 with KT90 (slightly warm). Which model better suits my system?

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #2,130 of 2,299
I use both low and high impedance headphones with my 300X. In my experience they sound better with my LCD-3, ZMF Vibro (which is also a modified T50RP similar to your mr Speakers). While my HD-600 also sound great, they has a higher noise floor compared to the low impedance cans.

I would like to try the tubes you've got for the Leben, any chance you can link me some online stores for them.
I'am currently using the Gold Lion reissue and Jan 12ax7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back