The leather on my Edition 9s bothers me.. non-animal solutions?
Aug 18, 2008 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Luminette

1000+ Head-Fier
The leather on my Edition 9s is a real bother to me. I'm not okay with it. I don't want to waste it, since it is already said and done - so I'd offer the spares to someone.. but I don't condone walking around utilizing this either

Anyone have any ideas or know-how? I definitely like the seal and comfort of these.. so I want to aim at quality in sound and comfort with any replacement. As well as durability.

Not sure what direction to move in, even - it's not like I can seek out a leatherworker..

A synthetic leather (though i'd prefer something that doesn't even resemble leather!) or the material on the beyer headphones is appealing.. my only qualm with the beyer earcups is that perhaps they won't seal as well..

Anywho, obviously without direction beyond the objective here, anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Any other Head-fiers with this issue?

[size=xx-small]PS - I'd really appreciate it if people who have no respect for my values here to keep the thread free of mockery and bashing. Please.[/size]

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 32
I'm not going to say anything against your values. Whatever floats your boat (I have no problem with leather products). But I don't think anything will perform as well as the leather pads. The velour pads will likely be very comfy but as you said will probably compromise the seal, impacting isolation and in turn, bass response.

Edit: Though from the general consensus concerning the Edition 9, they should have more than enough bass to lose a bit by using velour pads.

Personally I don't like pads other than velour, because both pleather and leather pads can get hot and sweaty.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 32
I am actually thinking that a thick set of velours off of the DT series from beyer may be a nice thing to work with - the added thickness and density of it, combined with the clamping force of the Ed 9s should actually help to make up for some seal

Hmm.. there are also those gel earpads that beyer sells.. but I believe they had reports of sweating and what not. Especially for the black set

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 32
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 32
Like you said, its said and done. The animal that leather came from would want you to enjoy your pads. If it had to be killed, I bet its spirit would rest better knowing it went to good use instead of being tossed aside. I know when i die I want the people that kill me to use every little piece of me for something, and just texidermy what cant be made into jewelry, clothing, or a delicious stew.

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 32
I have no useful suggestion unfortunately, but leather on products bothers me too. Especially nowadays, when there are alternatives. I consistently avoid buying stuff that utilizes leather.

It's the 21st century and we're still riding around in cars made of animal skin and trees. Not that different from the Flintstones, are we?

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 32
I personally like leather products but I will respect the decisions of those who do not like to involve themselves in such things. It's your money, after all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find a skilled person, who will be able to COVER leather pads(so you will retain isolation) with some fabric, maybe velour.

The OP's problem with the leather ear pads is more of a semantic issue rather than a practicality issue.

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 32
OK, I won't criticize your Ultrasone preference (
wink.gif
) but a leather worker might be exactly what you need. Most of them will work synthetics, and probably have a number of times in the past. A lot of times the two are mixed - you'll find leather seating surfaces on car seats, while the sides and back are synthetic.

Anyhow, they will have all the right tools and skills to make what you need. To avoid a discussion of leather, I'd tell them that I had a skin sensitivity or allergic reaction to the stock pads.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

The OP's problem with the leather ear pads is more of a semantic issue rather than a practicality issue.

Yes, that's understandeable. But since it's already bought maybe it's better to use it and love it than just throw it away..

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 32
Well, if Jackson can donate or sell the pads to another Ed. 9 user, that prevents at least one set of backup pads from being purchased at some later date. It would only take 30 or so like-minded people to reduce the number of backup pads produced for such a limited-edition headphone. That's not even impractical.

However, knowing your listening preferences, I think you'd be better served by imitation leather than even very dense velour. And I second the notion that a leatherworker is in a better position to craft you what you want than just about anyone. However, barring that, any tailor might be able to steer you in the right direction. Leather is, after all, a kind of fabric. Pleather even more so.

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 32
If you had any “values” concerning this subject you wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

Leather is an amazing product and no man made material comes close. I enjoy and cherish leather. I don’t take it for granted and putting it to proper use is the utmost respect we can give.

Mitch

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had any “values” concerning this subject you wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

Leather is an amazing product and no man made material comes close. I enjoy and cherish leather. I don’t take it for granted and putting it to proper use is the utmost respect we can give.

Mitch

I agree with this completely. Some of the guys from Ultrasone were eating hamburgers at the national meet in New York a couple of years ago (I sat at their table), so those headphones are pretty much tainted no matter how you look at it (as is every other product ever made on the face of this Earth).

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's not necessarily true, though it is necessarily rude.

Perhaps he purchased them used? Perhaps he has values, but they're prioritized. Surely, Mitch, you're not implying that you've stumbled upon some way of living which satisfies every ideal and principle you believe in equally.

I don't see any problem with Luminette's statement here. He's trying to be responsible in his personal life and with his belongings. It's not like the ripped it off and burned it -- he's offering to transfer it to someone else's care.

Is making earpads somehow a more "proper use" for leather than protecting the musculature of a cow?

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 32
I was trying to think of a way of responding to that without coming off like an ass myself, but it escaped me, so thanks Sherwood.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wayne - That makes absolutely no sense buddy. Sorry.
biggrin.gif

As to the OP's question. I think if you can find a velour earpad that fits the headphones and is comfortable, that should work quite well. You can never be sure of the sonic effect, but in my experience velour seals better than pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back