The Larocco Full Monty is in the house!!!! Pics inside!!
May 20, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Don't you hate it when the only way to get results is to get rude? Well all's well that ends well, and my that's a pretty setup. Your silver amp matches your silver source so nicely.
wink.gif
I couldn't find any banana stands here so mom sent me one. But now I find I should have gotten two.

So what are you doing for power supply there in Spain? Don't they use 220V?

Enjoy the tunes!

Thanks!

Yep, sometimes it's the only way. I wasn't rude, though, just a little overbearing & insistent..
biggrin.gif

Until I get the Lab Supply I'm using a laptop computer cable
eggosmile.gif
Yep, were on 220v but the laptop cable seems to regulate it fine. It was a bit scary plugging it in the first time, though, I do admit
eek.gif

Searched every shop here locally, though and no-one had anything that would work so I was kind of forced to improvise..
kaos.gif

May 20, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Nice lettering.
wink.gif

Thanks JMT! I really like the way Larry did it. Right now I should be posting a pic of the big grin pasted right across my face, though...
winkphones.gif

May 20, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Awesome looking amp and as mentioned earlier I also I like the all sliver finish between the amp and the Arcam. Look foward to hearing more impressions from you.

Thanks! I had the entire casing custom made from the same brushed silver, so it's the same all round. Looks just nice with the Arcam. Only thing I might have done differently is a green led instead of the blue to match the Arcams' but I might get it done some time just for fun
wink.gif
LOL! I have become a major geek!
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
WOW!!

Nice setup you got there
wink.gif

You mean cymbals of course...yes I love the sound of em cymbals. Do you know what will sound REALLY good?

Try Sting : Brand New Day and listen to the first track "A Thousand Years"

and feel the bass baby!!
eek.gif
eggosmile.gif

LOL, I nearly fell out of my seat when I fired up that song on the last mod I did to my source. It sounded fantastic.

Very dynamic recording.

-Ed

May 20, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorg
Great looking setup! I bet it sounds even greater. Enjoy!
cool.gif

Hey Jorg, thanks buddy!! She sounds just so sweet...and half of it's not burnt in, yet..
wink.gif

May 20, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #23 of 36
I'm glad you enjoy your set-up, so please take this lightly...but why throw so much money at a PPA? Sure, it includes a better DAC than your player and all that, but the amplifier is still just a PPA. There are some amps out there that really kick the crap out of a PPA.

Of course, if you are looking to stay on a budget (albeit a healthy one) I suppose this is a better solution.

May 20, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Only thing I might have done differently is a green led instead of the blue to match the Arcams' but I might get it done some time just for fun
wink.gif

I personally like the looks of the blue led in the power switch - classy. Congrats on your purchase.

May 20, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 36
PPA with diamond buffer and a good power supply (that he still haven't received) is quite a different beast than your stock PPA. I'll be honest, I prefer sound of the "old" AD8610 + EL2001 amplifier to standard PPA, which for all the good points (e.g. bass) sounds slightly metallic to me thanks to the HA-5002 buffers. Diamond buffer gets rid of that and makes the amplifier a pleasure to listen to, and the lab power supply which I had the chance to hear at recent Head-Fi meet, especially in combination with HP-1000 - gives the unit incredible bass control.

Appearance-wise your new toy aligns well with your Arcam
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
I'm glad you enjoy your set-up, so please take this lightly...but why throw so much money at a PPA? Sure, it includes a better DAC than your player and all that, but the amplifier is still just a PPA. There are some amps out there that really kick the crap out of a PPA.

Of course, if you are looking to stay on a budget (albeit a healthy one) I suppose this is a better solution.

Well, this has gone a bit beyond the PPA. This was twice the cost of the Deluxe PPA and stretched my budget a good $500 more than I intended to spend, and that's without the $300 lab supply I'm about to order
smily_headphones1.gif

However, before I went OTT with this amp I had a set of guidelines as to how much perspectively I wanted to spend on source, amp, headphones and cables respectively. I did that (almost) and I've now got a "reference" system which I intend to keep as is, pretty much. And she sounds a whole lot better than I intended, too
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos

Appearance-wise your new toy aligns well with your Arcam
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, yes, Larry knew which source I was going to be pairing it with from the outset and it seems he almost had that in mind when designing the casing
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #29 of 36
Congrats on finally getting your amp after all that anticipation. It's nice to see someone so excited about a piece equipment throughout the entire nerve-wracking experience. If anything, your setup looks really shiny and pretty. But of course, it must sound awesome as well.

May 20, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
Congrats on finally getting your amp after all that anticipation. It's nice to see someone so excited about a piece equipment throughout the entire nerve-wracking experience. If anything, your setup looks really shiny and pretty. But of course, it must sound awesome as well.

Thanks Oddball, it has been pretty darn nerve-racking the last week or so, but all is well with the world right now
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back