The Lambert "Play It By Ear" Headphone Amplifier - (DG Review) + Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #167 of 218
Tonight I'm going with one of these: http://www.tubemonger.com/Funkwerk_RFT_60s_ECC82_Halo_Extra_Supp_Tesla_MIL_p/794.htm

Had a pair of these for an amazingly long time now. There's a neat looking 'flashover' when switching the power on and they may turn out to be my favorite tube for the Lambert. Get them if you can.

edit: 'Flashover' is something I came up with (or heard elsewhere) to describe a normal function of this particular tube. Trust me in that it's made this way and not a sign of a damaged tube.

A visual description is when switching the unit on it look's akin to a 'match strike' or flare up within the tube. 
It's a really neat visual effect that I think look's cool with the tube guard in place.  - end edit.

But, the prior RCA is going to be hard to beat and makes a good measuring stick.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #168 of 218
Sorry, I do not mean to take over the whole thread. After playing with the Tesla's above I tried a Brimar but it didn't do it for me. So digging deeper I found the rca clear top's linked below. I'm astonished how great this tube is. Also a lot more economical. A great tube for the HD650's.

Relisted 10/24/15 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-65-RCA-12AU7A-CLEAR-TOP-Vacuum-Tubes-Amp-TESTED-GOOD-Price-PER-TUBE-/111805169090? These are cheaper clear tops as other's can get more expensive. I'm only recommending them as an inexpensive start to tube rolling.

Dubstep Girl's review is spot on but it's also fun to roll other 12AU7's.

Next is one of these:  http://www.tubemonger.com/La_Radiotechnique_12AU7_NOS_NIB_France_ECC82_MIL59_p/1213.htm

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #169 of 218
I just moved out recently. I don't even want to think about rolling tube$. Not yet.

My replacement comes in today! Hopefully I'll post some impressions at some point over the weekend.

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #170 of 218
Really nice to see everyone enjoying this "little amp with the big voice".

My PIBE has been perfect and plays well with all my 'phones - although at low volumes there is a channel imbalance (I believe a lot of tube amps have this problem). I'm really enjoying the amp for "classic rock", blues and vocals (anything by Eric Bibb (see his website for some very cool videos) or Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals just sounds awesome on the PIBE and T1s).

I find that the amp sounds so much better after it has been playing for 30 (or more!) minutes. So my routine is to turn it on with tunes flowing before I even take off my coat when I get home from work (yes I'm in the N). I then greet my family and do all the "normal" things that people do in the evening. Eventually I get to enjoy!

I haven't tried any tube rolling. Do you have to remove the top plate of the amp to remove the tube?
Also, just out of interest, how do you remember different tube sound characteristics? (given that you have to let amp cool down to replace tube and then warm up with new tube, and this takes some time).  Or is the sound difference between tubes so noticeable/dramatic that its really easy to note the difference, or is it a pretty subtle difference?

Thanks - enjoy!

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #171 of 218
Sorry, I do not mean to take over the whole thread. After playing with the Tesla's above I tried a Brimar but it didn't do it for me. So digging deeper I found the rca clear top's linked below. I'm astonished how great this tube is. Also a lot more economical. I love the Tesla's but this might be the best tube I have tried yet.

Relisted 10/24/15 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-65-RCA-12AU7A-CLEAR-TOP-Vacuum-Tubes-Amp-TESTED-GOOD-Price-PER-TUBE-/111805169090?

There are countless great 12AU7's on Ebay, so I hope everyone will begin to chip in on what they find. The Lambert has amazing sound quality and really benefit's from better cables, dac's and headphones as well as tubes. Dubstep Girl's review is spot on but it's also fun to roll other 12AU7's.

But it can get quite expensive like these:  http://www.tubemonger.com/La_Radiotechnique_12AU7_NOS_NIB_France_ECC82_MIL59_p/1213.htm

Why do I suddenly want that tube so badly?

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #172 of 218

D. F.  Why do I suddenly want that tube so badly?

The Radiotechnique (similar to Telefunken's) has a beautiful top end at the expense of some bass. Or so I've read. Should be arriving any day now and I will give my impressions.

Hikergrl, the Lambert indeed has a big voice. I certainly didn't expect it to power the Senn's like it does. The tube guard comes off using an allen wrench. I don't know the exact size but they're fairly inexpensive. I would setup the Lambert so that it doesn't need to be moved around. Then just follow the directions below.

Remove the vacuum tube. Tubes are seated using a 9-pin connection, with the male pins extending from the bottom of the tube and the female receptors located in the socket. To remove the tube, gently grab it and work it slightly back and forth while lifting upwards. Be gentle to avoid bending or breaking the pins. Do not twist the tube while lifting.

Replace the tube. If replacing the tube, insert the new tube using the same motion as you used to remove the old one. Lower it gently down, working it slightly back and forth to seat it fully. Discard the old tube. Replace the metal cover if applicable and replace the rear panel.

Note on the tube there is a gap between the 9 pins that lines up with the socket on the Lambert. And it's good sense to let the tube cool off first before removing. You might use a soft cloth but be aware it might rub off some of the markings. I have some thin cotton gloves that are perfect.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #173 of 218
My short impressions so far...

I'm really enjoying the PIBE!

As far as I can tell it's superior to my FiiO E9 in every way sonically. I just really, really wished Lambert slapped a gain switch on this monster.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #174 of 218
D. F.  Why do I suddenly want that tube so badly?

The Radiotechnique (similar to Telefunken's) has a beautiful top end at the expense of some bass. Or so I've read. Should be arriving any day now and I will give my impressions.

You're not helping me fight off my upgradeitous. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

For the guys wondering about DACs, I find myself agreeing with a past statement that this amp does scale up nicely when there's a better DAC in the chain. It sounds spectacular with the Chord 2qute. I'm going to be moving my PIBE back into my bedroom once my Cavalli Carbon amp arrives. End result, I'm now mulling over maybe putting together a new bedroom rig with better tube, cables, and definitely new DAC. My CLAS-db just doesn't cut it anymore after hearing the PIBE with a Chord DAC. The problem now is finding a good enough sounding DAC with a small footprint and doesn't have the high price tag of the 2qute. Anyone have any ideas?

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #175 of 218
You're not helping me fight off my upgradeitous. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

For the guys wondering about DACs, I find myself agreeing with a past statement that this amp does scale up nicely when there's a better DAC in the chain. It sounds spectacular with the Chord 2qute. I'm going to be moving my PIBE back into my bedroom once my Cavalli Carbon amp arrives. End result, I'm now mulling over maybe putting together a new bedroom rig with better tube, cables, and definitely new DAC. My CLAS-db just doesn't cut it anymore after hearing the PIBE with a Chord DAC. The problem now is finding a good enough sounding DAC with a small footprint and doesn't have the high price tag of the 2qute. Anyone have any ideas?

Mojo? I have a feeling that the Mojo can 'neutralise' the 'edginess' of the PIBE at higher volume.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #176 of 218
Mojo? I have a feeling that the Mojo can 'neutralise' the 'edginess' of the PIBE at higher volume.

I've thought of that myself but if I'm not mistaken the Mojo is an amp/DAC combo. Rather redundant to have two amps in a bedroom rig. I'd rather roll the extra bones spent on the amp section of the Mojo into a pure DAC only solution.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #177 of 218
I've thought of that myself but if I'm not mistaken the Mojo is an amp/DAC combo. Rather redundant to have two amps in a bedroom rig. I'd rather roll the extra bones spent on the amp section of the Mojo into a pure DAC only solution.

That's correct but is there a cheaper than Mojo that can deliver better performance? I've paired my Mojo with my Rok last nigh powering my LS50. The sound is quite good IMO.

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #180 of 218

Users who are viewing this thread

Back