The Lambert "Play It By Ear" Headphone Amplifier - (DG Review) + Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #151 of 218
  I'm going to return my unit. I have 2 big issues:

1. The connection between the power plug and jack on the back of the unit is very poor. Pushing the cord around will cause slight angles in the fitting of the power plug resulting in the unit powering on and off sporadically.
2. My L/R inputs are plain messed up. The left input no longer works. The right input works...but for some crazy reason I am hearing audio through my left headphone driver! And yes, I have triple checked to make sure everything is connected correctly.

Sigh, I'm so disappointed after such a long wait. Hopefully others are not running into the same quality issues as me.

Same thing happened to mind after 1 hour of use. Now the power just stays on and the switch has no use. Very disappointed that the back power is the thing that is what is holding back what could be a great amp.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #152 of 218
  Same thing happened to mind after 1 hour of use. Now the power just stays on and the switch has no use. Very disappointed that the back power is the thing that is what is holding back what could be a great amp.

I have been told that Lambert is on the case. Should be some replacement's arriving soon. Meantime I found there's a certain spot on the volume control where everything balances out. The sound quality is amazing. I do believe I should try a darker tube though. I'm looking for any recommendations?

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #153 of 218
RCA black plate.... early 50's is a personal favorite... very inexpensive relatively speaking... cheap enough that you can scoop up a bunch on fleabay and not worry about getting a dud or two, or a couple noisy ones... nice warmth yet still very clear... "fatter" sound, but good extension in both directions.... early version of very tall grey plate RCA commander are also quite good... 

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #154 of 218
I really like this amp - its such an engaging and fun amp.
Its actually going to end up costing me a lot of $$
rolleyes.gif

Although I have a few solid state amps, the PIBE is my first tube amp.
I really like how engaging its sounds with pretty much all of my 'phones (HD650, DT1350, T90, T1, Mikros 90). So now I'm convinced that I'll have to try some expensive tube amps. 
redface.gif

The real "eye" (ear?) opener for me is how the T1 sounds so much more engaging with the PIBE compared to my SS amps.  The PIBE doesn't have the wide soundstage of the SS amps, but with the PIBE, the T1 has zero graininess to the sound - I find my toes tapping and unfortunately start singing (not one of my talents!).
I've had zero issues (other than what appears to be pretty normal for many amps - the L/R  level imbalance at very low volumes), hopefully things will get quickly resolved for those with power switch/cable issues.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #155 of 218
Thanks for the recommendation NDA. I will begin looking and I may have somestufll in the closet as well. I think it might be the Silver Poison that is a little bright. But the Lambert has brought out the midrange like no other amp I have tried.

I wonder how long it take's to break in? That might make a difference as well.

Hikergrl, all I can think to say is 
beerchug.gif
.   I also found it's even better later at night when the powergrid gets cleaner.

Cheers.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #157 of 218
  Has anyone gotten an update on the replacement units??

*sigh* Nope. They should have gotten the replacement units like a week ago. I'll be patient for another week til I contact them for an update.

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #159 of 218
I received a replacement unit today and the rear power connector no longer cuts out, even though the jack still feels kinda loose. Listening right now for the first time on hd800's and I'm very impressed with how neutral and natural it sounds right out of the box. Not as liquid as my crack/speedball, a bit more damped, but very nice so far. Might be getting a little congested in complex passages, but I am overall VERY impressed.

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #160 of 218
I received a replacement unit today and the rear power connector no longer cuts out, even though the jack still feels kinda loose. Listening right now for the first time on hd800's and I'm very impressed with how neutral and natural it sounds right out of the box. Not as liquid as my crack/speedball, a bit more damped, but very nice so far. Might be getting a little congested in complex passages, but I am overall VERY impressed.

Did they contact you about the replacement unit? Like provide a tracking number? Or did you just come back home to an unexpected package one day?

I contacted Steve from The Audio Nerd a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything about the replacement units recently. Perhaps I need to take the initiative and ask.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #161 of 218
Nice tight sounding amp.....but the noise when using low impedance cans is atrocious.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #162 of 218

Did they contact you about the replacement unit? Like provide a tracking number? Or did you just come back home to an unexpected package one day?

I contacted Steve from The Audio Nerd a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything about the replacement units recently. Perhaps I need to take the initiative and ask.

I had sent Steve two emails and not heard back, so I called him up and he told me that they were going to ship out replacements in a week, and would send me a tracking number.  Lo and behold that's what happened.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #163 of 218
I rolled this sucker in last night.

RCA USN CRC 5963 12AU7-A Tube NOS NIB Long BALANCED BLACK PLATES Rare Gtr 1958

“57 Years Old! An articulate sounding 12AU7 with rare Foil D-getter, BALANCED Black Plates.”

Sound is a little leaner than the stock tube; but well balanced and detailed.

edit: A few hour's latter and the sound is evolving; becoming more precise. I'm now hearing stronger bass and more instruments with better separation compared to the stock tube.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #164 of 218
Back from my 2 week business trip.

Unboxed this baby and I was surprised by its small size. I know it is small but not tiny. :)

Initial impressions using HD800: Powerful. Fun.

Don't be fooled by its size, this baby is a monster. The volume knob is only at 9 to 10 oclock before it gets very loud for me!

More later.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #165 of 218
  I rolled this sucker in last night.

RCA USN CRC 5963 12AU7-A Tube NOS NIB Long BALANCED BLACK PLATES Rare Gtr 1958

“57 Years Old! An articulate sounding 12AU7 with rare Foil D-getter, BALANCED Black Plates.”

Sound is a little leaner than the stock tube; but well balanced and detailed.

edit: A few hour's latter and the sound is evolving; becoming more precise. I'm now hearing stronger bass and more instruments with better separation compared to the stock tube.

Where did you find that tube, I'm game for a little tube rolling :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back