"The Lab"
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #19,876 of 20,136
I'd suspect that the Mojo would pair well with the HE400i. I didn't have the two around at the same time though so this is just from memory. That being said personally I wouldn't choose the Mojo for desktop usage due to its design (just personal preference, it's a bit small and light and I typically prefer more robust designs) but if you like a easily movable source it's a good alternative.
I would like a easy movable setup but what scares me about the mojo is the battery using it 85% as desktop... mojo get very hot especially when connected to a energy source so battery could get worse in not too much time, could I am wrong?

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #19,877 of 20,136
I would like a easy movable setup but what scares me about the mojo is the battery using it 85% as desktop... mojo get very hot especially when connected to a energy source so battery could get worse in not too much time, could I am wrong?

Your biggest concern would be leaving it plugged in 24/7, which is the condition that almost all Mojo owners have had battery issues. Not just for the Mojo but for any lithium battery powered device. As far as heat is concerned there are multiple sensors that will shut it off if it overheats. One thing users have found is that if the Mojo is turned on its side it dissipates a lot more heat through the chassis. Also, if you listen while plugged in then a lower charged battery will create much more heat than a higher charged battery because there is more Current being used to charge and drive the headphones at the same time. There's no free lunch with batteries unfortunately.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #19,878 of 20,136
Your biggest concern would be leaving it plugged in 24/7, which is the condition that almost all Mojo owners have had battery issues. Not just for the Mojo but for any lithium battery powered device. As far as heat is concerned there are multiple sensors that will shut it off if it overheats. One thing users have found is that if the Mojo is turned on its side it dissipates a lot more heat through the chassis. Also, if you listen while plugged in then a lower charged battery will create much more heat than a higher charged battery because there is more Current being used to charge and drive the headphones at the same time. There's no free lunch with batteries unfortunately.
That's why I'm buying an amp and a dac without a battery.

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #19,879 of 20,136
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #19,881 of 20,136

It'd be nice if the manufacturers would put a function that you could turn off charging. I can understand not being able to have a separate data and charging on smaller DAPs, but I can't see it being too difficult to implement on a software level. Even if they didn't disable charging completely, at least have it so charging doesn't happen if the battery is already ~75% (read it's bad hoodoo to charge lithiums if they're only down 20%)
Personally, I find having DAC capabilities a big selling point in DAPs, and always hate to see the thing charging when it really doesn't need to be.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #19,882 of 20,136
It'd be nice if the manufacturers would put a function that you could turn off charging. I can understand not being able to have a separate data and charging on smaller DAPs, but I can't see it being too difficult to implement on a software level. Even if they didn't disable charging completely, at least have it so charging doesn't happen if the battery is already ~75% (read it's bad hoodoo to charge lithiums if they're only down 20%)
Personally, I find having DAC capabilities a big selling point in DAPs, and always hate to see the thing charging when it really doesn't need to be.

Agreed 100%. Chord somewhat addressed it with the Hugo2 going in to desktop mode. Every manufacturer would do well to cover their bases and implement a way to defeat the charging if not required. At the same time a little battery management from the user goes a long way, it's really not difficult to unplug now and again if there are separate charge and data ports like in the Mojo and Hugo2. For DAPs I would 100% welcome a software feature like you suggest.

How have you been fellow Canuck?

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #19,885 of 20,136
Agreed 100%. Chord somewhat addressed it with the Hugo2 going in to desktop mode. Every manufacturer would do well to cover their bases and implement a way to defeat the charging if not required. At the same time a little battery management from the user goes a long way, it's really not difficult to unplug now and again if there are separate charge and data ports like in the Mojo and Hugo2. For DAPs I would 100% welcome a software feature like you suggest.

How have you been fellow Canuck?

Been doing well, I guess. Good to still see you're still around, the forum changes seem to have decimated the ranks

Once upon a time I tried to hack a cable so my X3 wouldn't charge while under DAC mode. Not sure if I did it wrong or if it needs the voltage signal, but nothing happened. Literally, like it wasn't plugged in. Never bothered to pursue it any further.

I've been waffling about just getting a dedicated desktop DAC and avoiding this issue all together, but I'm not really sure if it's even worth it anymore. Plenty of DAPs are using high(er) end DAC chips nowadays so on paper their performance should be roughly the same. IIRC, a Modi Uber costs about the same as the Cayin N3 (both use an AK4490), but the N3 has the added portability factor which increases its value in my eyes.

I have my doubts those cheapo DIY units on Ali-E are worth the time and money, so I wouldn't go there. I have been thinking about a Topping D30. They can be had for ~$100 and based off my X1 amp I would be surprised if it wasn't a quality unit. Unfortunately it only uses a lowly CS4398 DAC - which I believe is also used in the e17k (brings up the portability question again)

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #19,886 of 20,136
Hello? Did this thread die? If not, here's a review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/brainwavz-b200.22219/reviews#review-19362
20171024_221804.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back