"The Lab"
May 8, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #19,666 of 20,136
In the spirit of the Lab, I have an idea that will make light of all the ads we see after the website change. I'm thinking we could share our favorite "ad of the day."

I saw this one on the front page this morning
20170508_101137_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #19,669 of 20,136
For whatever reason I'm not seeing adds anymore. Didn't notice it until now. I don't use ad blockers either. Weird...

On another note, these just arrived;

IMAG2399[1].jpg IMAG2400[1].jpg
At their original MSRP of ~300 CAD I might have been underwhelmed, but for the 28 CAD I paid for what is essentially a brand new pair, you won't hear me complaining. Warm, smooth, and bassy with a beautiful leather/aluminum construction. Lovely :)

May 8, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #19,671 of 20,136
Interesting, no ads showing up now.
That's an amazing price on the Polks, must be ready to discontinue them (reminds me of the Martin Logan On Ears, which listed $300, but was dumped at about $60 when they were being discontinued).

May 8, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #19,672 of 20,136
In the spirit of the Lab, I have an idea that will make light of all the ads we see after the website change. I'm thinking we could share our favorite "ad of the day."

I saw this one on the front page this morning ...

Vince, you clearly misunderstood it, that was a new ad for the latest Incredible Hulk movie :p

May 8, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #19,673 of 20,136
Interesting, no ads showing up now.
That's an amazing price on the Polks, must be ready to discontinue them (reminds me of the Martin Logan On Ears, which listed $300, but was dumped at about $60 when they were being discontinued).

Sure was! Didn't need them but couldn't pass up on that. From what I gather they already discontinued the Buckle (my model) but kept the Hinge (on-ear version) going.

For the Canadians in the thread, there are still some used ones on Amazon.ca going for 24 CAD. The only other 'like new' model (what I bought) has gone back up to 199 CAD.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-list...8-1&keywords=polk+audio+buckle&condition=used

May 8, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #19,674 of 20,136
They use once-fired shell casings at the earpieces. The jack and y-split are casings too, or at least they look and feel like it. The primers were replaced with magnets, and strong ones at that. They crossed into Canada for me without issue, so I don't think they'll cause problems for anyone over the border. Border guards are consistent right? :p

Years ago (way before the current security craze), I had a bullet keychain seized by airport security, even though it was clearly obvious that the primer was removed and the powder was drained. I tried to argue that my keys were an even bigger threat than the keychain itself, but they wouldn't bite.

More recently, I had a Bic lighter taken, put into a ziplock bag, then given back to me like I'd never figure out how to open the bag

May 9, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #19,675 of 20,136
Mixcder x5 video review. Excellent little critter for $17!

May 9, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #19,676 of 20,136
It's been said before, but it bears saying again. The NX1's battery is crazy. Pulled mine out of the draw after a month or so of no use. Can't remember how much use it had before I put it away, but I know it wasn't fully charged. Onto hour 8, still going strong (also helps it sounds good too)

May 10, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #19,677 of 20,136
It's been said before, but it bears saying again. The NX1's battery is crazy. Pulled mine out of the draw after a month or so of no use. Can't remember how much use it had before I put it away, but I know it wasn't fully charged. Onto hour 8, still going strong (also helps it sounds good too)
Arguably the greatest portable amplifier you can buy thanks to the tremendous battery life and price to performance ratio.

I still have mine and it's a tank.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #19,678 of 20,136
I had an eargasmic experience today. Went to a high end Hifi shop in Oslo for the first time today to see what they carried and to try to get a chance to hear a demo pair of HE-6 that they've been advertising.

They had a lot of nice stuff like the new Focals, the whole Hifiman lineup, some nice Beyerdynamic and some Sennheisers that I can remember right now.

I only listen to two headphones there, the HE-6 and the HE560 (both balanced from a very impressive Violectric V281) and I spent about an hour with the two listening to one song once on each headphone before moving on to the next song.

Comfort wise the HE-6 was OK while the HE560 was fantastic (just like my HE400i). The HE-6 was more comfortable that I'd expected though but the basic design paired with the weight makes it pretty mandatory to sit still and listen to it.

Soundwise I didn't perceive the HE560 to be a very large upgrade from the HE400i but please remember that I didn't A/B the two so this is just from memory. I've read comments saying that the HE560 makes the HE400i sound slightly congested in direct comparison and this is exact the way I felt what the HE-6 did to the HE560. The HE560 felt warmer and more even but the HE-6 was more engaging and had more bass weight. The HE-6 was also more transparent and interestingly enough I also felt it had better treble presentation and overall sounding the most natural I've ever heard in any headphone. I was truly hoping to prefer the HE560 since I knew it would be more comfortable but that was not the case and now I really don't know what to do. We agreed that I should come back next week and bring my own music and maybe also some stuff.

Funny thing was that the guy working there told me that no one wanted to buy the HE-6 because it's so hard to drive and I believe I've got three systems that can drive it lol......

I'm afraid that I can't see my future life without a HE-6 in there ha ha.....

Back home now I'm listening to the HE400i and I can honestly say that I don't miss much though but that being said I can't stop thinking about that HE-6 :)

May 12, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #19,679 of 20,136
I had an eargasmic experience today. Went to a high end Hifi shop in Oslo for the first time today to see what they carried and to try to get a chance to hear a demo pair of HE-6 that they've been advertising.

They had a lot of nice stuff like the new Focals, the whole Hifiman lineup, some nice Beyerdynamic and some Sennheisers that I can remember right now.

I only listen to two headphones there, the HE-6 and the HE560 (both balanced from a very impressive Violectric V281) and I spent about an hour with the two listening to one song once on each headphone before moving on to the next song.

Comfort wise the HE-6 was OK while the HE560 was fantastic (just like my HE400i). The HE-6 was more comfortable that I'd expected though but the basic design paired with the weight makes it pretty mandatory to sit still and listen to it.

Soundwise I didn't perceive the HE560 to be a very large upgrade from the HE400i but please remember that I didn't A/B the two so this is just from memory. I've read comments saying that the HE560 makes the HE400i sound slightly congested in direct comparison and this is exact the way I felt what the HE-6 did to the HE560. The HE560 felt warmer and more even but the HE-6 was more engaging and had more bass weight. The HE-6 was also more transparent and interestingly enough I also felt it had better treble presentation and overall sounding the most natural I've ever heard in any headphone. I was truly hoping to prefer the HE560 since I knew it would be more comfortable but that was not the case and now I really don't know what to do. We agreed that I should come back next week and bring my own music and maybe also some stuff.

Funny thing was that the guy working there told me that no one wanted to buy the HE-6 because it's so hard to drive and I believe I've got three systems that can drive it lol......

I'm afraid that I can't see my future life without a HE-6 in there ha ha.....

Back home now I'm listening to the HE400i and I can honestly say that I don't miss much though but that being said I can't stop thinking about that HE-6 :)

Sounds like you've made your decision. What with everything you've gone thru with the fire and all you deserve a treat! Now you just have to convince the commander in chief it's ok or maybe you don't. I personally have to run everything thru the boss at home but she never disagree's.

May 12, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #19,680 of 20,136
Have the 560 and the HEK (just got v2), but some with ears I trust say the HE-6 beats them all, slam, detail, all that stuff. But they do need power to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back