"The Lab"
Mar 26, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #19,561 of 20,136
Mar 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #19,562 of 20,136
I'd like to see some more desktop amps and DACs discussed on the Lab. I'm looking forward to your take on this amp, Peter!

Thanks Vince! I'm looking forward to it myself :wink: Should arrive next week.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #19,563 of 20,136
Mar 26, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #19,564 of 20,136
Mar 26, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #19,568 of 20,136
Vacay's over, bro. Back in the grind now...

Enjoy the grind, brother!

deadhorse.gif

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #19,569 of 20,136
Here's my look at the Fischer Audio Paco which I think goes punch-for punch with the Brainwavz Jive and Accutone Lyra, both great earphones at that 30 dollar mark. Their signatures are all shockingly similar. Paco takes the cake though when it comes to detail retrieval and finding a comfortable balance between treble/mids/bass. Really enjoyable listen :)

While they're wireless, the SoundPEATS Q16 (review) is a pretty darn good earphone too. Paired with the Shanling M1, they're going to be awesome come mountain biking season. Was kinda surprised at how much I enjoyed them given all the problems I had with the Syllable D900s. Yes, they still run into the occasional drop between earpieces, but it's not overly intrusive like it was with those. Despite quite different signature, they go head-to-head with the ADVANCED Evo-X which I had been using pretty much daily. Do any of you use wireless stuff on the regular?

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #19,572 of 20,136

Pretty ain't it - although it looks better with a yellow LED under the socket (what I got in mine, enhances the glowing filaments nicely)

What tubes you got for that thing? So many possibilities with G1217 amps. I've read the 6sn7 sounds awesome - but those need an adapter

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #19,573 of 20,136
Pretty ain't it - although it looks better with a yellow LED under the socket (what I got in mine, enhances the glowing filaments nicely)

What tubes you got for that thing? So many possibilities with G1217 amps. I've read the 6sn7 sounds awesome - but those need an adapter

It sure is and it sounds pretty darn good as well. I'd like to think that I've got some good amplifiers but I'm still very impressed after my first hour or so with the Ember. Been going back and forth between the HD650 and HD700 and it sounds great with both of them which is pretty impressive by itself given how different they are.

I've got a bunch of 12ax7 and 12au7 tubes for my tube dac and have ordered a Amperex Orange Globe. Jeremy was also kind enough to include a couple of different Russian 6n6p tubes in addition to one Conn 12au7a and an adapter with a unknown 6SN7 tube attached.

Yeah, I opted for blue so that it would match my other components but might have to change it.

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #19,574 of 20,136
It sure is and it sounds pretty darn good as well. I'd like to think that I've got some good amplifiers but I'm still very impressed after my first hour or so with the Ember. Been going back and forth between the HD650 and HD700 and it sounds great with both of them which is pretty impressive by itself given how different they are.

I've got a bunch of 12ax7 and 12au7 tubes for my tube dac and have ordered a Amperex Orange Globe. Jeremy was also kind enough to include a couple of different Russian 6n6p tubes in addition to one Conn 12au7a and an adapter with a unknown 6SN7 tube attached.

Yeah, I opted for blue so that it would match my other components but might have to change it.

The orange globe 6dj8 is my favourite so far. EI Yugo 12au7 being a close second. Both make the 400i almost disappear - in a good way
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #19,575 of 20,136
The orange globe 6dj8 is my favourite so far. EI Yugo 12au7 being a close second. Both make the 400i almost disappear - in a good way:D

Hmm, I'm sure I've got some Ei tubes somewhere. Just can't remember if I bought them for the LD or my DAC. It's still a lot of boxes that we haven't unpacked here so I'm sure I'll find them eventually but it might take a while.

Anyway all the tube possibilities in addition to all the other settings you can change makes the Ember a real gem. The included Conn tube does also sound really great, I may actually like it better than the 6SN7 one (those are the only two I've tried so far).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back