"The Lab"
Jan 23, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #107 of 20,136
Woot woot ....Bluebird U6.0.....quick impression please pretty please ....congrats buddy ...

Maybe later bit of comparo with NX1 and how much Cayin C5 is better then U6.0 hahahahahaaa...:rolleyes:

Lol, don't worry I'll compare it to both :wink:

First impression is a bit mixed since it seems to be something wrong with low gain (hollow and distorted sound) while high gain sounds very clean and impressive.

I'll need to open the unit and see if I find something obviously wrong, don't know when I get the time but probably not before tomorrow evening :frowning2:

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #108 of 20,136
Cheers peter123....take your time ....really enjoying the DX90 ....the sound is amazing ....the detail retrieval and clarity is definitely one notch or two than X3 and also liking the texture of the bass ....closest analogy would be like sometimes me enjoy T1E sweet full body fun bass and sometimes me like Havi bass where it is accurate and tight but punchy without the bloat ....

Been listening to them every chance me get ...hahahaaaa woot woooooot

Did me little impression move ya ?? :p

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #109 of 20,136
Cheers peter123....take your time ....really enjoying the DX90 ....the sound is amazing ....the detail retrieval and clarity is definitely one notch or two than X3 and also liking the texture of the bass ....closest analogy would be like sometimes me enjoy T1E sweet full body fun bass and sometimes me like Havi bass where it is accurate and tight but punchy without the bloat ....

Been listening to them every chance me get ...hahahaaaa woot woooooot

Did me little impression move ya ?? :p

Yes my friend I'm moved :wink:

Seriously I really envy you the DX90, I'm sure it's a great DAP.

Looks as if my U6 is a lemon :frowning2:

Since it wasn't working properly out of the book I put it on charge for a couple of hours and when turning it on again there's no (very very low on max volume) sound and it's hot and smells burned.....

I've opened it up but I'm not able to see anything obviously wrong with it so I've contacted the seller and we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #110 of 20,136
peter123....though at one time ..me Fiio X3 was taken away and now has returned ..haha....during that time w/o X3 ...was busy going around demoing X1 and X5 ...but it didnt gave me that feeling of "aha" ...have to get it ..if you know what I mean ....so been reading up on DX90 ....never demo them but took a leap of faith ....they really exceed me expectation ...the touch screen is a breeze to use ...no lag ...really smooth ....fantastic built quality ...what more with the sound sig which me think you would like ....the only downside is that the battery life is about 7-8 hrs .....which X3 is better.

The X3 is still a fantastic DAP ....definitely a keeper ...but one DAP player is never enuf right ....? You should have a serius look at them ..or demo them if possible ... :rolleyes:

Sorry about the Bluebird U6.0 ....was really looking forward to some impression and hopefully you will be able to work out a solution with the seller ....and come back to us ...cheers

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #111 of 20,136
Seems like the hype is starting to form around the bluebird u6.

Im curious to see how it stacks up against the nx1.That sucks you got a lemon peter123. I was anticipating your impressions and comparisons.

If you're getting a stinky smell, sounds like it could be a battery issue. I'm not sure if you read some time back the issues I had with my nx1,but basically the battery took a dump and when I opened my NX1 to troubleshoot, it looked like the device was being powered by a Capri sun juice box. I replaced it with a universal battery and actually upgraded the power supply. I once went 2 weeks without having to charge it a single time. It also charges and plays at the same time (didn't do that before the battery switch). It also charges really, really fast!

Take a look at the battery and throw a voltage tester on it. It's worth a shot.

Cheers

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #112 of 20,136
I'm not sure where to post this, so here is close enough. 

On Saturday January 24th, Amazon will make its excellent original series Transparent free to stream, even for those without Amazon Prime. More importantly though, Amazon is discounting Amazon Prime, the best deal in tech at $99, to $72 for the day. Prime is basically never discounted, and $72 is cheaper than the previous $79 that the service went for for years. 

This is for Saturday the 24th only.   Woo hoo   ♫♫

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #113 of 20,136
Sorry about the absence guys, I had to spend the weekend on a soccer trainer education (I'm coach for the team of one of my daughters) and it did'nt leave much tim for Head-Fi :wink:

@Wokei Yes you're right, one is never enough :)

@Hisoundfi After some communication with the seller I actuall got it up and running again but after a while the sound started to distort again and after being charged there was no sound (but it has power) again so I've decided to open a complaint on Aliexpress. A shame really because it sounds very nice while working. One thing to notice is that the low gain is pretty much useless because it's not actually low gain it's another sound setting and it sounds really weird. On high gain it sounds great though.

I was also asked earlier in this thread for some impressions on the amps that I own and since I'm pretty busy the next week (going to a trade show in Germany on Friday) I thought I just copy/paste a answer I wrote in a PM earlier today:

I've got some time with the M-stage though and my impression of it is really good. It's definatley on the warm side (maybe even slightly more so than the C5) especially with the class a biased opa627 configuration. I've only tried two op amp configurations so far and TBH the difference is bigger than my previous experience. With the LM4652NA it sound less warm and has more air to the sound, it actually sounds a lot like the C5 in this configuration. That made me curious enough to ordre one piece of the 2134 (which is the stock op amp for the Matrix) since it's the same one as used in the C5. 

I've also pretty much used the X2's exclusively so far and only had a inital listening with the Q's just to conclude that it sounded really great (but I need more time to be more specific). 

Using the X2 and listening to the Magni, LD I+, M-stage and C5 there's no doubt in my mind that the M-stage and the C5 is more enjoyable than the others. The Magni (which is said to sound very similar to the O2) is too cold, neutral and basslight for me to be enjoyable with the X2. It kind og kills all that makes me enjoy the music with the X2's. If you're looking for a neutral sound this is the way to go but for me the X2's is not about neutral and analytical but fun and lively if that makes sense.

The LD I+ falls somewhere in between the Magni and the C5 with its current tubes so maybe I need to do some more tube rolling when I get the time.

The C5 and the M-stage with LM4562NA, as already mentioned,  sounds very similar with the C5 having slightly more air and the M-stage ever so slightly more subbass impact and more black background.

What I've found out though is that the M'stage with the class a biased opa627 is very smooth and warm but still detailed and pairs extremely well with the X2's for the most nonfatiguing sound I've ever heard. In this configuration I'm truly forgetting to listen after faults in the setup and just enjoy music in a way that I've never experienced before. This is probably the least "correct" sound out of all the pairings I've described here but to me it's still the most enjoyable and in the end that what's counts isn't it :wink:

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #116 of 20,136
So I picked up this wooden contraption while thrift shopping today. It honestly works fantastic as a headphone rack. Cost me a measly two bucks. A hell of a lot cheaper than a forty dollar headphone rack!

I also picked up a reissued Mullard 12au7 tube for my Bravo Audio Ocean amplifier. I wish I could share with you guys how good this sounds with my HD600s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back