1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

"The Lab"

1. RedJohn456

Correct, its not for the iDSD, I will be evaluating it on how well it works with my other DACs, and I don't know if its a case of changed sound signature but with my Geek Out V2 the sound is different and the background is pitch black, kind of startling really. But that is using it with the gemini USB cables.

2. thatonenoob
    Spent some good time with the SR009 yesterday.  Was very impressed, rather moved actually.  The detail retrieval and generally limitless highs were stunning.  

3. mochill
    :frowning:i would like to hear that too

4. thatonenoob
    [​IMG] I figured that there were few things that would *truly impress me at this current stage in my audio journey, but the SR009 casually strolled past like the Girl From Ipanema.  

mochill likes this.
  5. mochill
    And senn he1 :sweat_smile:

6. HiFiChris Contributor
    Is there any electrostatic amp with digital volume control? I've unfortunately not found a single one so far.

7. Hisoundfi Contributor
    I started to write a review, and when working on an introduction I caught myself going off on a "rant" of sorts. There have been several instances where reviewers are considered "schills" or as people who write reviews to get free stuff. I think there are instances of this on any site where reviews are done. BUT (and I think many of you who write reviews will agree with what I'm about to share) there are people who aren't out for free stuff, but would rather do the work to experience the products and HELP THE HEAD-FI COMMUNITY in the process. My good friend twister6 read my thoughts and we agreed that it's more of a blog entry than something that should be included in a review. Since the Lab is the closest thing I have to a blog, I'm going to leave it here:

I can’t fully put into words just how much of an honor it is to be trusted to review products on Head-Fi. It’s a labor of love that is based on a passion I have for this hobby. I enjoy being able to share my experiences with a particular product. Writing a comprehensive review is a lot of work, but well worth it. It’s great to have a resource like this website, and be able to share my experience and enjoy this hobby with my Head-Fi friends.

While I don’t consider myself a professional reviewer by any means, I’ve heard a lot of earphones, DAPs, amplifiers and DACs. After many hours spent on Head-Fi and at shows, it’s nice to be able to say that I’m to the point that I have a particular style of writing and can give most people the basics of a product when I write a review. I hope the products I cover help you in your journey for the perfect audio products.

I would like to share some thoughts and observations I’ve recently had, based on some of the things I’ve read and experienced on Head-Fi.

I started this hobby just like most do. I wanted a pair of cheap earphones that sounded good. Head-Fi helped me find them, but it didn’t stop there. When seasoned participants first said to me, “Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet” there was a fair amount of truth to that comment. If you are a pursuer of high fidelity sound, the extent of your journey will depend on how much you’re willing to spend. For me it was a quite a bit. While many spend their budget for recreational activities on things like motorcycles, vacations, or at bars, I have a room I call “The Lab.” It’s filled with many pairs of earphones, much more than I will ever need in this lifetime. Aside from working, going golfing or hanging out with my wife and son, much of my free time is spent in “The Lab” reviewing products, doing comparisons and participating in the threads I frequently visit.

As I progress in my Head-Fi journey, I continue to spend my own money as well as receive review samples. Let it be known to everyone on Head-Fi that I don’t ever consider any review sample I get as my own personal property. If a company wants their earphones back I will be happy to send them back at my own expense. The samples aren’t freebies, they are a tool that I use to help Head-Fiers find the products they’re looking for. Writing reviews for a company isn’t an opportunity for me to “get free stuff,” it’s taking on a responsibility to cover a product and present it in a way that is fair to both the reader and the manufacturer.

You may have seen that I haven’t written very many negative reviews. This is because I don’t consider it fair to bash a product on a public forum. When I get a product a company was nice enough to send me for review I will sample it and form particular impressions in specific criterias. If I come to the conclusion that the review I write will be negative, I will contact the manufacturer and let them know that I would rather not write the review for that reason, and offer to ship the product back at my own cost.

I have a large number of earphones for two reasons:

#1. I will only comment on earphones I have. I can’t recommend or do an reliable comparison based on memory. Think about an earphone that you haven’t listened to for six months. If I asked you to compare it to an earphone that you listened to today, could you do a specific and accurate comparison by going off of memory of how it sounded? It’s literally impossible to do.

#2. I want to be a resource to those who are considering purchasing the earphones I have. I use them to answer private messages and respond to questions asked on the Head-Fi threads. See me at a show, and I’ll have some really awesome earphones for you to try, I guarantee it.

Being fair, and using a certain degree of integrity has helped me establish relationships with manufacturers. It was done by spending a considerable amount of my own time and money. As a reviewer it’s a whole lot more than writing a couple of shilling paragraphs and snapping a couple of pictures in exchange for free stuff, at least not for me. At the same time and just the opposite, I feel the Head-Fi community should not get overly pretentious and become a website that manufacturers tend avoid because the products they provide for reviews becomes something the Head-Fi community rips to shreds. Let’s be fair. Let’s be positive. Let’s give products a fair shake and find ways to to share our opinions without bashing stuff.

I say all of this to give perspective to those who have formed the opinion that Head-Fi reviews are nothing more than people schilling for free stuff. I hope this gives you a different perspective. There are several other reviewers who also follow a similar philosophy.

One more thing...

As a community we need to stop thinking in terms of good/better/best. I say this because this hobby is perceptual. What I think fits and sounds great might not be the case with everyone who tries them. All I can do as a reviewer is say what I do and don’t like about something based on my experience, try to identify the type of person that would like the product, then do comparisons and rate the products based on my preferences. I treat every review like I’m telling my friends about the product I’m covering. I hope my review gives you my personal opinion and gives you the basics on what the product is all about. Let’s come to conclusions based on comparisons or stating what we prefer and why. Saying “it’s better than product X” or “it’s the best” is misleading and vague, and could prevent someone from enjoying a product they would enjoy.

Cheers guys, curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

8. HiFiChris Contributor
    I'm finally giving in although I fear that some important programmes won't be running perfectly anymore:

2016-07-17_110059.jpg

9. peter123

I dare not :wink: Let us know how it works out, especially dac compatibility worries me.

10. HiFiChris Contributor
    90% complete...

Will surely let you know, Peter! [​IMG] 

11. peter123

Thanks and good luck!

12. seanwee
    The compatibility is about the same as Windows 7 in the latest build, make sure u update it once it finishes installing.

The first two builds of windows 10 were HORRIBLE though. but that was last year.

13. Hisoundfi Contributor
    I upgraded to Windows 10 from my Windows 7 on both of my laptops about a year ago. I consider it to be an improvement from Windows 7, and a more user friendly experience. Just an FYI you will need to Uninstall Arta and reinstall it after upgrading.

Hope it works the same for you.

14. Hisoundfi Contributor
    DAC compatibility is fine. If it isn't plug and play, all you'll need to do is Uninstall and reinstall.

peter123 likes this.
  15. HiFiChris Contributor
    Well, the short story is that I did not do the update, lost a few hours and about 4 GB. Pug it, I do not need Win 10 on my privately used laptop although the UI has got a few new and neat features.