The Koss Spark Plug
Dec 27, 2006 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
Has anyone heard these? I know the legendary KSC-75 get a good review here and was wondering if anyone heard these. If they are "decent", they would make a cheap IEM ($12.88 at amazon.com) to go with their cheap KSC-75.

B00081A2DQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40409433_.jpg

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 22
KOSS Spark Plug has been popularly tagged as a FART Cannons. This is the strongest contender in MASSIVE QUANTITY of Bass ever existed in an earbud. So strong was the bass that it sounded as if I had a full sized subwoofer implanted in my head
blink.gif

KOSS Spark Plug was also responsible to make me repent from being a basshead because the shock I received still did not subside even today
plainface.gif

But, Kramer has found a way to mod them even to rival Shure E2c.

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow.... Interesting... I know a few people's ears I'd like to stick those in and put on maximum volume.
tongue.gif

BTW, did the pic of the spark plugs show up? It's not showing up here on my iMac (but then again, nothing internet related works on a Mac -- just need it for my work).

Nope the pics are dead and I am using Windows XP
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 22
Yup, I'd be really interested in hearing what the board thinks of those headphones, those were going to be my next purchase. By the way, what exactly does IEM mean? Something to do with in-ear headphones I suppose? I've never used any but I think it's the way to go.

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by towelie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, I'd be really interested in hearing what the board thinks of those headphones, those were going to be my next purchase. By the way, what exactly does IEM mean? Something to do with in-ear headphones I suppose? I've never used any but I think it's the way to go.

In Ear Monitor

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by towelie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even if they are dirt cheap, they are totally worthless compared to KSC-75. unless you have the creativity to mod them like Kramer does.

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 22
All bass, and horrid highs and mids. And I prefer very strong, subwoofer-style bass. But it still needs to sound halfway nice.
These dont.

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KOSS Spark Plug has been popularly tagged as a FART Cannons. This is the strongest contender in MASSIVE QUANTITY of Bass ever existed in an earbud. So strong was the bass that it sounded as if I had a full sized subwoofer implanted in my head
blink.gif

KOSS Spark Plug was also responsible to make me repent from being a basshead because the shock I received still did not subside even today
plainface.gif

But, Kramer has found a way to mod them even to rival Shure E2c.

My vote for the Bassy Absolute Crap Award goes to the Bose OE. I think I still have a headache from auditioning it over a month ago.
basshead.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 22
I found the spark plug to be excessively bassy. Modding them helps but still... not enough. Skip the spark plug and seek the original plug... Those if modded can sound surprisingly good (IMHO of course).

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the spark plug to be excessively bassy. Modding them helps but still... not enough. Skip the spark plug and seek the original plug... Those if modded can sound surprisingly good (IMHO of course).

Yeah, I noticed the original PLUG, too. It has an amazing freq. response of 16Hz - 23Khz and a sensitivity of 116dB/mw. I imagine if modded, those might sound pretty good like you say. They wouldn't be for me, just for one of my siblings. I certainly have no need for these.

Here's a pic of Koss' original "The Plug" in-ear phone:
They are even cheaper than the Spark Plug ($12.88) at a price of $11.13 on amazon.com. Budget in-ear phones, they are!

B00001P4XA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40409592_.jpg

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I noticed the original PLUG, too. It has an amazing freq. response of 16Hz - 23Khz and a sensitivity of 116dB/mw. I imagine if modded, those might sound pretty good like you say. They wouldn't be for me, just for one of my siblings. I certainly have no need for these.

Here's a pic of Koss' original "The Plug" in-ear phone:
They are even cheaper than the Spark Plug ($12.88) at a price of $11.13 on amazon.com. Budget in-ear phones, they are!

B00001P4XA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40409592_.jpg

Yeah the older ones are SUPER... I mean HYPER sensitive. To a flaw IMHO. I was unable to turn any of my amps down low enough to a comfortable volume level. I found portable MP3 players that are hissy at low impedences to be unlinstenable. I needed to add resistors to increase the impedence. do a search for koss plugs + dremel you sould hit the mod thread.

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the older ones are SUPER... I mean HYPER sensitive. To a flaw IMHO. I was unable to turn any of my amps down low enough to a comfortable volume level. I found portable MP3 players that are hissy at low impedences to be unlinstenable. I needed to add resistors to increase the impedence. do a search for koss plugs + dremel you sould hit the mod thread.

I guess that's a good thing more than it's a bad thing... Once you increase the resistance they should be a pretty good $11 headphone purchase. At the very least, they would be fun headphones to do experiments on being they are so cheap.

Do they go into your ears far? What is that black material, foam? I take it you don't get replaceable cables at the $11 price point?
tongue.gif

Edit: Oh, and hey! It looks like at $11 they get something right that UE can't get right for $250... The cable's not tangled or kinky!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back