The Koss ESP950 thread (ESP owners, please contribute! :)
Nov 12, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #661 of 731
Nov 12, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #662 of 731
A sad day indeed.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #664 of 731
To all on this thread--I'm sad to report that someone who occasionally posted here, @Geezer Rock 001, recently passed away (heard this from his wife today).

Randy and I had become good PM buddies for some time. I learned from him and valued his perspective on just about everything.

R.I.P. @Geezer Rock 001.

That is too bad. I enjoyed his posts on several threads over the years.:triportsad:

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #666 of 731
Dec 1, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #667 of 731
My ESP/95X arrived today, and wow, these cans are just... different -- in a way I really appreciate. I know it's an old cliché, but I swear I am hearing details I've not heard, including some interesting bass notes I've not heard before: it's not slam and impact so much as I can hear distinct lower frequencies in some music I've not heard before.

I was a little worried about volume being a problem having read some mention that it doesn't get loud enough (or perhaps I imagined that?), but, yeah, definitely not a problem so far!

IMG_4016.jpeg

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #668 of 731
I can't wait to get my Koss ESP/95x tommorow!!! I don't know much about electrostat's and I saw that their is 3.5mm input out front.

Can I run a setup like this:

Iphone -> XDUOO XD05 -> 3.5mm Koss input.

Would that amp/dac ruin anything or make any type of difference in volume level or sq?

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #669 of 731
Got a set of massdrop ESP95x today. The main purpose of the purchase was to get my hands on a E90.

some impressions:
the ESP95x phones:
-- Sound is brighter than the 950;
-- the velure pads are much more comfy than 950's pleather pads.

the E90 driver/energizer:
-- using the included wallward, voltage is 11.2v when the amp is on and idle (no music playing), Current draw 200mA. (wall AC outlet was at 121v)
********** caution, see the info at the end of this post.
-- thin plastic case; requires peeling off the aluminum face plate to fully open the unit, the face plate is rather thin and deforms easily (so don't do it unless you have to). If I end up modding this one I will put some details in the DIY section.
-- again do not open the case unless you have to. Very easy to get zapped by the high voltage from the top board (don't ask me how I know....)

sound impression of E90,
-- using the included wallward;
-- driving a pair of ESP950
-- signal source is a modded Fiio X3 classic (Mundorf SIO caps for line-out)
-- music (all FLAC from CDs): some Eva Cassidy songs, and Led Zeppelin concert live (the song remains the same).
compare to a modded SRM-Xh, a SRM-212, and a SRM-1 (not MK2):
* a lot less emotion from the E90 when listening to Eva Cassidy, everything (that I can hear) was clean and clear but there was not much of the emotional "feel" in the songs. Somehow it feels like the E90 might have some kind of background noise, not very obvious but is there, that might have prevented the emotions from coming out.
* live concert recording tracks: E90 was missing a lot of ambient details, just didn't have the "there" feel (not even "pretending" to be there). The live concert recording sounded more like a studio recording.
* bass from the E90 was not stronger than bass from the xh or the 212 (212 has slightly more solid bass than the xh)

I later changed the E90 power source to a AAx6 7.2v NimH battery pack (fully charged, provides 8v when running the E90 at medium volume), the background was somewhat cleaner but the emotion part was still lacking.

************ opened up the E90 a little more and took a closer look at the boards, and....

"
power input reservoir cap C33 is 2200uf/10v (this cap is always connected to the power input jack, whether the amp switch is on or not).
So it is, at least in theory, NOT OK TO USE voltage higher than 10v. However the Koss stock wallward outputs 13.3v no load and 11.2v idle, and C33 will see these voltages as long as the wallward is plugged in.....not sure why C33 survives. Maybe it is super grade stuff.
"

photos in the DIY section.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #670 of 731
For the Koss ESP/95x I read that you can get a better wall wart for it. Does anyone know the correct one I can use for mine and what exactly is the benefit? (I'm assuming more power means higher volume and possibly less distortion?

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #672 of 731
Got a set of massdrop ESP95x today. The main purpose of the purchase was to get my hands on a E90.

some impressions:
the ESP95x phones:
-- Sound is brighter than the 950;
-- the velure pads are much more comfy than 950's pleather pads.

the E90 driver/energizer:
-- using the included wallward, voltage is 11.2v when the amp is on and idle (no music playing), Current draw 200mA. (wall AC outlet was at 121v)
********** caution, see the info at the end of this post.
-- thin plastic case; requires peeling off the aluminum face plate to fully open the unit, the face plate is rather thin and deforms easily (so don't do it unless you have to). If I end up modding this one I will put some details in the DIY section.
-- again do not open the case unless you have to. Very easy to get zapped by the high voltage from the top board (don't ask me how I know....)

sound impression of E90,
-- using the included wallward;
-- driving a pair of ESP950
-- signal source is a modded Fiio X3 classic (Mundorf SIO caps for line-out)
-- music (all FLAC from CDs): some Eva Cassidy songs, and Led Zeppelin concert live (the song remains the same).
compare to a modded SRM-Xh, a SRM-212, and a SRM-1 (not MK2):
* a lot less emotion from the E90 when listening to Eva Cassidy, everything (that I can hear) was clean and clear but there was not much of the emotional "feel" in the songs. Somehow it feels like the E90 might have some kind of background noise, not very obvious but is there, that might have prevented the emotions from coming out.
* live concert recording tracks: E90 was missing a lot of ambient details, just didn't have the "there" feel (not even "pretending" to be there). The live concert recording sounded more like a studio recording.
* bass from the E90 was not stronger than bass from the xh or the 212 (212 has slightly more solid bass than the xh)

I later changed the E90 power source to a AAx6 7.2v NimH battery pack (fully charged, provides 8v when running the E90 at medium volume), the background was somewhat cleaner but the emotion part was still lacking.

************ opened up the E90 a little more and took a closer look at the boards, and....

"
power input reservoir cap C33 is 2200uf/10v (this cap is always connected to the power input jack, whether the amp switch is on or not).
So it is, at least in theory, NOT OK TO USE voltage higher than 10v. However the Koss stock wallward outputs 13.3v no load and 11.2v idle, and C33 will see these voltages as long as the wallward is plugged in.....not sure why C33 survives. Maybe it is super grade stuff.
"

photos in the DIY section.
They do improve as they break in. They gain ease and decay of notes. Don't know if the diaphrams have to stretch, the electronics have to seat in, or both. Even after that I have to agree they aren't the most emotional sounding phones. I found EQ was needed to get the emotion. Someone measured the Koss and provided the recommended EQ settings. They are on the web. EQ really brings these headphones alive.

The 10v cap amazes me. Didn't expect that. Can't wait for your E90 findings. I still expect Koss/Massdrop to build a new better E90 in the future.

Thanks,
barondla

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #673 of 731
Odd problem, wondering if anyone here can help. Last night I noticed the channel's got reversed on my Koss ESP/95x. I tried both the 3.5mm and RCA input, and also double checked with other headphones to make sure it wasn't the player at fault. I also unplugged it to see if that would have any effect but no luck.

Anyone know if it's possible to get the channels back to left and right again ?

The entire system still works great, so I'm not sure if it's something to do with the energizer or what. I also tried the regular cable and not the extender and still no luck.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #674 of 731
My ESP/95X arrived today, and wow, these cans are just... different -- in a way I really appreciate. I know it's an old cliché, but I swear I am hearing details I've not heard, including some interesting bass notes I've not heard before: it's not slam and impact so much as I can hear distinct lower frequencies in some music I've not heard before.

I was a little worried about volume being a problem having read some mention that it doesn't get loud enough (or perhaps I imagined that?), but, yeah, definitely not a problem so far!

IMG_4016.jpeg
I have been thinking about these for a long while - in fact ever since I heard a pair last year and found myself digging the...well different presentation.
...and well you sir just drove me over the edge as I often come across headphones I like in your sig..and well 385$ for an estat, even if I have to pay Danish taxes, is still a great bargain...at the very least on European soil. I remember when these things cost 1500$ around here..not too long ago either.
I am currently trying to find a beautiful plastic bag to store it in😁

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #675 of 731
I still expect Koss/Massdrop to build a new better E90 in the future.

The ESP950 is too much of a "push the envelop" product, I don't see how they can sell enough to make any $$. They are probably still losing money due to the warranty works.

I did some experiments with the E90 and the results are encouraging but the E90 design has a lot of "weak link" parts, it will be very expensive to upgrade to "good enough" status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back