The Koss ESP950 thread (ESP owners, please contribute! :)
Jul 3, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #631 of 731
My LCD-2f (2016 revision) is adequate for metal, though that was probably by virtue of just being a competent headphone within it's price tier. But that sub bass extension and subdued treble don't seem to pay off as well with that genre as with others. My Elex (I should probably clarify that it is an Elear with Clear pads, but I refer to it as an Elex for shorthand) performs a bit better, but probably because I find that it's more prominent mid-bass and treble emphasizes the impact of the drums better than my others. I think that for metal in general though, the OG Elear pads would be the way to go within my collection if that's all one wanted to listen to. So aggressive, and intoxicating with the right songs.

Is there any accepted method for improving the seal of the stock pads on the ESP-95X? The way they like to sit on my head tends to lend itself to gaps.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #632 of 731
My LCD-2f (2016 revision) is adequate for metal, though that was probably by virtue of just being a competent headphone within it's price tier. But that sub bass extension and subdued treble don't seem to pay off as well with that genre as with others. My Elex (I should probably clarify that it is an Elear with Clear pads, but I refer to it as an Elex for shorthand) performs a bit better, but probably because I find that it's more prominent mid-bass and treble emphasizes the impact of the drums better than my others. I think that for metal in general though, the OG Elear pads would be the way to go within my collection if that's all one wanted to listen to. So aggressive, and intoxicating with the right songs.

Is there any accepted method for improving the seal of the stock pads on the ESP-95X? The way they like to sit on my head tends to lend itself to gaps.

I know there's another thread here on HF with some more serious pad rolling discussion

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/any...for-high-fidelity.891988/page-3#post-15684321

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/koss-esp-950-thread.581491/page-251

And yea I'll admit I like my PreFazor LCD 2.2 for metal but something you may really like is the Vegan pads on an LCD 2 Classic,

HD 800 is nice for metal but not every one enjoys it, tho tbh I prefer HD 800 to the overall Focal line my self

Tho I will admit when I first listened thru ...And Justic for All on Elear I was flooored! Tho yea 95X is a bit dark which doesn't lend it self well to all Metal

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #633 of 731
Just curious if ESP950 owners here are covering their headphones with a dust cover when not in use or do you stow them away to prevent dust? I'm just curious if dust entering them easily is an issue similar to how Stax would usually recommend covering them to prevent dust entering the drivers.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #634 of 731
Just curious if ESP950 owners here are covering their headphones with a dust cover when not in use or do you stow them away to prevent dust? I'm just curious if dust entering them easily is an issue similar to how Stax would usually recommend covering them to prevent dust entering the drivers.

Nah I'm 100000000000000000% not doing that

Maybe I should, but I keep 009 in it's box tho I really dooooo need a dust cover. But I vacum my office pretty often and keep a fan running to make sure there is not a lot of dust settlement

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #635 of 731

I keep mine in my "headphone" cabinet. They do occasionally get left out overnight though.
I try to limit their exposure as I have two cats and they create tumbleweeds that blow across the floor and get on every thing I own.

You can brush the cats and vacuum as often as you want, but it won't change anything. :smile:

Luckily, no problems with any of the headphones yet.

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #636 of 731
Nah I'm 100000000000000000% not doing that

Maybe I should, but I keep 009 in it's box tho I really dooooo need a dust cover. But I vacum my office pretty often and keep a fan running to make sure there is not a lot of dust settlement
I keep mine in my "headphone" cabinet. They do occasionally get left out overnight though.
I try to limit their exposure as I have two cats and they create tumbleweeds that blow across the floor and get on every thing I own.

You can brush the cats and vacuum as often as you want, but it won't change anything. :smile:

Luckily, no problems with any of the headphones yet.

So I would suppose getting dust through the grills of the ESP950 isn't too much of an issue and if it does, you can blow the dust off if ever it gets in?

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #637 of 731
So I would suppose getting dust through the grills of the ESP950 isn't too much of an issue and if it does, you can blow the dust off if ever it gets in?
I hope so, but I have heard many warnings of doom regarding cat hairs.

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #638 of 731
I tried bending the metal, which is extremely flexible, inward on both sides. While that produced a tighter seal, I don't recommend it because once you warp the metal good luck getting it back to stock. It also interferes with the sliders. One of several things I like about the HE560 is that you can pretty much bend that sucker any which way you want to make it clamp more or less tightly and you can always get it back to how it was. The 560 sounds quite nice even with a loose fit, but I didn't like the way the 95X sounded when I reduced the clamping force. Your best bet is probably to change pads. I ended up returning my 95X because it was noisier than a jungle with all its squeals, squeaks, and hums. Hopefully the new set won't have those problems. Otherwise, it's a very enjoyable set of headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #639 of 731
Two transformative enhancements to the performance of the ESP-95X, from my perspective:

-- Schiit Loki - The Loki allows modest but meaningful adjustment to the EQ of the ESPs. In my estimation, amongst the best $149 I've spent on audio. Four bands, at the right frequency breaks, good pots; very nice! Most often, I've got low frequencies boosted a few dB, lower mids a bit less, mid/upper not at all or very slightly and highs not at all. On-the-fly adjustments are a breeze.

-- Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin Earpads - A little pricey for ear pads, but well worth it for the sonic benefits. Bass/midbass punch is improved, while mids and highs remain honest and pure. I'm glad I took the plunge on these.

With these two upgrades and the Teddy Pardo power supply I'm employing, I'd say my work is done here. Now, just listen and enjoy.

Honorable mention: Kimber Silver Streak cables with the Ultraplate connectors. I've always liked these cables, and the Ultraplates fit the undersized connector ports in the E/90X Energizer perfectly.

Hope this is of value.

Best,

Joe.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #640 of 731
After poring through several forum discussions, it seems that people experience noise issues at first, maybe for a few weeks. But for those that wait it out, the noise goes away and rarely returns. Someone who claims to have significant knowledge and experience building audio equipment (likely, given the highly technical nature of his comments) stated that it "appears to be a 'quirk' of the diaphragm coating, something about its initial charging (resistivity) behaviour." He or she claims to have bought them six months before commenting and had no noise issues after about the third week. I like the sound so much that I have decided to keep them. Will try to post here again in a few months to let people know whether the issue resolved itself. For now, I will just enjoy them. Happy listening.

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #641 of 731
Sitting here listening to Patricia Barber's "Night Club", I feel compelled to comment on just how lifelike the ESP's sound. Patricia could be in the room with me, and the guitar is palpable. It's as though I'm sitting at a cafe' table, up close to the ensemble, feeling the intimacy and immediacy of the of the music. Just stellar!

Joe.

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #642 of 731
Has anyone looked in to DIY headband replacement for these? One side of my headband has cracked despite very careful handling. I am not the original owner and expect Koss will deny me service, plus I'm not keen on paying to ship these for service... And it's just a bad design, I can totally see it happening again.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #643 of 731
Has anyone looked in to DIY headband replacement for these? One side of my headband has cracked despite very careful handling. I am not the original owner and expect Koss will deny me service, plus I'm not keen on paying to ship these for service... And it's just a bad design, I can totally see it happening again.
Koss has a no questions asked warranty. They will fix yours as long as they aren't modified. Can't imagine finding a workable headband fix for less than the shipping charge.

Don't recall a broken headphone in either of the massive Koss ESP threads. They are well built. If the problem happens again, you're likely doing something very wrong. Send them in and get them fixed, they're worth it.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #644 of 731
Comparo Estat.jpg

Who is better, more expensive or maybe not ...

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #645 of 731
Comparo Estat.jpg

Who is better, more expensive or maybe not ...

Well imo 95X beats out Jade ii in my book... Jade ii is such a mess

I've also got an L700MK2 here alongside a ES-1A and my 009, ES-1A and 009 are clearly better than 95X but L700MK2 imo is more different than anything. I'l post picture proof here soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back