The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Apr 1, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #646 of 1,066
Hey guys, I just wanted to clarify some issues regarding discrepancies which I found when comparing reviews by different posters.

In terms of bass and soundstage, I think the general consensus is the same.

For for the mids, most posters (GeneralPsycho, K.T e.t.c) have said that the mids are very (almost too for some people) pronounced, which makes vocals really take centre stage. Those who have this view general are of the consensus that the S680 is balanced, with great bass and mids, while treble is slightly tamer.

However, there are also a couple (Aillas being one) who have said that the mids are instead recessed, whereas the bass and treble are what shines, which fits the description of a V-shaped sound signature.

May anyone address the differences? I am relatively new to headfi, so perhaps some of my knowledge regarding sound and how to describe it are insufficient.

Cheers!

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #647 of 1,066
Hey guys, I just wanted to clarify some issues regarding discrepancies which I found when comparing reviews by different posters.

For for the mids, most posters (GeneralPsycho, K.T e.t.c) have said that the mids are very (almost too for some people) pronounced, which makes vocals really take centre stage. Those who have this view general are of the consensus that the S680 is balanced, with great bass and mids, while treble is slightly tamer.

However, there are also a couple (Aillas being one) who have said that the mids are instead recessed, whereas the bass and treble are what shines, which fits the description of a V-shaped sound signature.

May anyone address the differences? I am relatively new to headfi, so perhaps some of my knowledge regarding sound and how to describe it are insufficient.

Cheers!

I suspect your source could be the real differences here. The 680s scale up and or down depending on source.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #648 of 1,066
The bass and sub-bass on the JVC ha-s500 is fantastic, tum-tum-tum vibrating the cups
gs1000.gif

On the 680????

And what is the differences between the JVC 660 and 680???

Today I listened again to the 660 and I would like to understand what are the differences with the 680 ...

Too be honest, after all the reviews and comments here, if you still cant make see what the differences are and manke up your mind you never will without actually buying them

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #649 of 1,066
  The bass and sub-bass on the JVC ha-s500 is fantastic, tum-tum-tum vibrating the cups
gs1000.gif

On the 680????
And what is the differences between the JVC 660 and 680???

Today I listened again to the 660 and I would like to understand what are the differences with the 680 ...

I love S680's bass and sub-bass, no complaints.

S660 is crap, S680 is great.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-zero-audio-doppios-pg1197-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/16050#post_9937702

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #650 of 1,066
I suspect your source could be the real differences here. The 680s scale up and or down depending on source.

+1
S680 sounds really great with anything Sabre-based, not so much with Wolfson-based (e.g. FIIO E17).

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #652 of 1,066
Thanks for the replies guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should that only change the overall tonality of the sound, and at most a slight change in the sound character? Whereas what we are talking about here are complete opposite ends of the spectrum (recessed vs pronounced, v-shaped vs balanced)

I apologize unreservedly if my queries are ignorant. I really appreciate all the time some of you guys put into this thread, especially you Ben.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #654 of 1,066
  Thanks for the replies guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should that only change the overall tonality of the sound, and at most a slight change in the sound character? Whereas what we are talking about here are complete opposite ends of the spectrum (recessed vs pronounced, v-shaped vs balanced)

I apologize unreservedly if my queries are ignorant. I really appreciate all the time some of you guys put into this thread, especially you Ben.

You are welcome!
Trust me, S680 sounds very different out of ODAC+E12 vs E17.
The vocals are seriously off through E17.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #655 of 1,066
Ahh I see. I have not had any experience with different amps (coincidentally mine is the E07K, which uses the same Wolfson chip as the E17) perhaps that was why I did not understand how sound could vary so much.

I will likely be getting a Sabre DAC in the near future as an alternative/complement to my E07K. Perhaps afterwards I will purchase the HA-680 
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #657 of 1,066
A lor of problems, any headphone in this range price are good with any amp...

This is true for any price range. Synergy between a headphone and an amp/DAC is a real thing.
HD800 is notorious for being very picky.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #658 of 1,066

Cheers!

Hi,

At the current state of burn-in, which I think is near the end, I would say the S680 presents a fairly balanced frequency response. That's with my FiiO X3 or HTC One V (running Neutron player) through a Schiit Vali amp.

At the very beginning, it was indeed the vocal and the midrange that stood out. That range seemed most prominent and noticeable.

After burn-in, however, things seem to have balanced out. So in my case, the frequency response seems more balanced than V shaped.

Interestingly, through most of the burn-in process, the bass seemed to be very attenuated. There just wasn't enough of it and it didn't have much impact. So I didn't experience that mega bass that some were reporting.

Near the end however, the bass firmed up, but seems to be in line with the rest of the frequency response. Not bumped up compared to everything else

Also, before everything came together, there was a point where none of the sound had much impact or conviction. Everything was muddy and indistinct. The vocal/midrange seemed very recessed and distant. Bass and treble were like a murky soup. That went away, but I got very concerned about the health of my phones at around that time.

So I'm liking what I'm hearing now, but don't know if this is the final settling point for these carbon nano-tube drivers. But in my experience with these phones, I would say the frequency range is fairly balanced.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #659 of 1,066
hello guys..can anyone help me to choose between jvc ha-s680 and sony mdr-zx600? i need to choose only and i prefer sound quality than design..
i want to use this with my fiio x3..
please someone help me 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back