The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Jan 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #286 of 1,066
Also I can just feel the boominess fading away to create a nice tight bass with plenty of control and impact.

Since you seem to like beats/bass driven music and they don't sound boomy to you after burn-in I should be fine with them.
That's my main concern, would hate if it they sounded boomy and/or muffled. Already have a few darker headphones so a good balance across the range is what I'm looking for.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #288 of 1,066

Since you seem to like beats/bass driven music and they don't sound boomy to you after burn-in I should be fine with them.
That's my main concern, would hate if it they sounded boomy and/or muffled. Already have a few darker headphones so a good balance across the range is what I'm looking for.

Yeah, the boominess fades away the more you use them. That was the same in the case of S400/S500 burn-in.

Just don't loose your hope before you get that amazing sound coming through. :wink:

Can't remember what song it is, but there was one track where the bass hit so hard it made me blink. It still has some mellowing to go I assume lol.

Yeah I get the same on some tracks, don't think its the fault of the headphones though.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #289 of 1,066
Genuinely wasn't a complaint, the bass... oh my. Listened to Coexist by The xx 3 times since i have gotten these headphones the first two listens were pretty bad TBH. There is a lot of subtle complexities on that album in the entire audible range  especially the voices and percussion. It has been a very slow process, about 24 hours of flac on shuffle and about 12 hours of pink noise later these headphones are... simply incredible for the price. I am officially on the "push the 680's" club. If these get any better I may just skip getting the M4U1's and go straight to the Alphadogs.

As the OP suggested, use pink noise instead of music. It definitely did the trick. If anyone doesn't believe in burning in, buy them these and let them listen out of the box and then at 48 hours of pink noise. Night and day difference.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #290 of 1,066
  Genuinely wasn't a complaint, the bass... oh my. Listened to Coexist by The xx 3 times since i have gotten these headphones the first two listens were pretty bad TBH. There is a lot of subtle complexities on that album in the entire audible range  especially the voices and percussion. It has been a very slow process, about 24 hours of flac on shuffle and about 12 hours of pink noise later these headphones are... simply incredible for the price. I am officially on the "push the 680's" club. If these get any better I may just skip getting the M4U1's and go straight to the Alphadogs.

As the OP suggested, use pink noise instead of music. It definitely did the trick. If anyone doesn't believe in burning in, buy them these and let them listen out of the box and then at 48 hours of pink noise. Night and day difference.

Push them in the S500 thread mate, I've been doing it since the sound has opened up.

People there need to know that there is a new CNT brother on the block. :p

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #291 of 1,066
im about 12 hours of listening after a 60 hour burn in now and these are fantastic really starting to hear more in the music and it seems to be like a wierd surround sound thing going on as well. I have also noticed that there is very little bleed for things meant for the left channel stay in the left and the same for the right. I have played with the EQ on the Cowon J3 and have found a nice bassey volume that dosent affect the other sounds, its that good that during Halo from the blackening i actually felt the headphone shaking on my head.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #292 of 1,066
Lifted Andreaswhats the X3 like as a player, i was looking at this instead of the cowon but got a really good price on the cowon, only paid £80 new so thisis what swung it but i would like a backup player just incase

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #293 of 1,066

That's right!

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #294 of 1,066
im about 12 hours of listening after a 60 hour burn in now and these are fantastic really starting to hear more in the music and it seems to be like a wierd surround sound thing going on as well. I have also noticed that there is very little bleed for things meant for the left channel stay in the left and the same for the right. I have played with the EQ on the Cowon J3 and have found a nice bassey volume that dosent affect the other sounds, its that good that during Halo from the blackening i actually felt the headphone shaking on my head.

That's the "dynamic ports" working.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #295 of 1,066
Lifted Andreaswhats the X3 like as a player, i was looking at this instead of the cowon but got a really good price on the cowon, only paid £80 new so thisis what swung it but i would like a backup player just incase

Well I got my X3 for £115 (including the voucher) during Xmas from MP4Nation with FedEx 2 day delivery. I think thats an epic deal considering the X3 costs £159 in the UK.

To be honest mate, as far as I can tell from reading people's views the X3 beats all the Cowons out there in terms of sound quality and build quality.

Do I like it, yes. Do I love it, not yet. I think my brain is still trying to adjust to the sound sig, as its a very thick, sweet and detailed presentation. Like I said before, its so sweet I could use it as maple syrup on some morning pancakes.

Quote:

That's the "dynamic ports" working.

That sentence makes me feel like
deadhorse.gif
atsmile.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #296 of 1,066

Yeah, the boominess fades away the more you use them. That was the same in the case of S400/S500 burn-in.

Just don't loose your hope before you get that amazing sound coming through. :wink:

Thanks, still thinking whether I really need another pair of headphones...lol.
The S500 certainly improved a lot, listened to them for a few minutes when I got them and and decided to put them straight on a 200 hour burn-in session.
Sometime later I switched to the HD25 velour pads and those improved the sound towards a bit more mid/treble presence.
Not a big difference but with the original pads the S500 always sounded a tad too warm for my taste.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #297 of 1,066
I just received my HA-S680s.

First impression: they're a muffled, overly-bassy mess. And wow—can they ever go loud!

Don't worry: I'm sensible enough to not already conclude that they're crap. I'll start burning them in right away and, when done that, I'll give them quite a bit of listening time.

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #298 of 1,066
That is a good price, will see what happens when the X5 comes out to see if they reduce in price but i doubt it as the X5 is supposed to be about double the price. Was going to get a clip+ for the car but will hold off and see if i can try an X3 first then if i like that use the cowon for the car

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #299 of 1,066
I just received my HA-S680s.

First impression: they're a muffled, overly-bassy mess. And wow—can they ever go loud!

Don't worry: I'm sensible enough to not already conclude that they're crap. I'll start burning them in right away and, when done that, I'll give them quite a bit of listening time.

Completely agreed. Out of the box they sound terrible, like something you would get for $5 from a petrol station.

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #300 of 1,066
How are these with comfort, out of the box? Looking for headphones I can use for, well basically everything. =D Never owned any headphones that needed burning in, seeing as I've always got the cheap ones. =P Would be powering these with my PC, no amp or anything of the sort. I could do pink noise at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back