The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Jan 15, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #271 of 1,066
Much like the S400's they really didn't sound great out of the box, but i will have them playing for the next few days to see what happens. After about 10 hours they sound much better, but the bass is still really boomy and the highs need some help.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #273 of 1,066
  Much like the S400's they really didn't sound great out of the box, but i will have them playing for the next few days to see what happens. After about 10 hours they sound much better, but the bass is still really boomy and the highs need some help.

Give it another 40 and difference will be clear as a sunny day in the Bahamas.
wink.gif

Mine have opened up hugely now, and sound absolutely awesome with my new FiiO X3 playing FLAC Trance!

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #274 of 1,066

Are you using the burn-in procedure in the first post? Playing music won't be as effective.
Highs will clear up a little, but still remain subdued.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #275 of 1,066

Are you using the burn-in procedure in the first post? Playing music won't be as effective.
Highs will clear up a little, but still remain subdued.

Music does the same thing, just takes longer.

Also, its preferable if lossless content is used and any compressed files are avoided.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #276 of 1,066
Just playing music through them at "slightly higher than comfortable" volume when im not wearing them from my Flac collection. It's weird, some songs sound AS GOOD as my M50's, then other songs the Mid Bass just loses its **** and bleeds all over the place. Then other songs the entire lower range is just boomey.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #277 of 1,066
  Just playing music through them at "slightly higher than comfortable" volume when im not wearing them from my Flac collection. It's weird, some songs sound AS GOOD as my M50's, then other songs the Mid Bass just loses its **** and bleeds all over the place. Then other songs the entire lower range is just boomey.

It will take much longer to complete the burn-in, you may end up losing your patience and being disappointed.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #279 of 1,066
  Don'y worry, they are my only set for the next month so i don't really have an option to give up haha.

Lol, the month will fly by and you wont need any other sets of headphones after because you'll be hopelessly in love with the S680.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #281 of 1,066

So would you say the treble is still subdued somewhat after burn-in or do they really open up to a balanced frequency response?
Have you ever heard the S-500 in comparison?

Well since I got my FiiO X3 on Monday, I've been using the S680 with them and the treble has definitely gotten stronger and more sparkly. Saying that though I am easily past 40 hours listening time.

Haven't had a chance to compare S500 and S680 directly yet but from what I can conjure up from memory the S680 are more defined with better resolution and imaging. Not to mention the massively improved comfort.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #282 of 1,066
They are worlds better today, Supremacy by Muse suddenly sounds energetic and accurate, Matt's voice is hair raising as it should be and the drums aren't as boomy as they were. In other genres trumpets and sax also sound much more lifelike today much MORE shrill like they should be, not boring and missing the entire higher range. That's not to say they are now annoying bright. Just much nicer.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #283 of 1,066

Well since I got my FiiO X3 on Monday, I've been using the S680 with them and the treble has definitely gotten stronger and more sparkly. Saying that though I am easily past 40 hours listening time.

Haven't had a chance to compare S500 and S680 directly yet but from what I can conjure up from memory the S680 are more defined with better resolution and imaging. Not to mention the massively improved comfort.

Sounds good, thanks for your impressions mate.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #284 of 1,066
  They are worlds better today, Supremacy by Muse suddenly sounds energetic and accurate, Matt's voice is hair raising as it should be and the drums aren't as boomy as they were. In other genres trumpets and sax also sound much more lifelike today much MORE shrill like they should be, not boring and missing the entire higher range. That's not to say they are now annoying bright. Just much nicer.

Much appreciated, thanks.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #285 of 1,066
Sounds good, thanks for your impressions mate.

Also I can just feel the boominess fading away to create a nice tight bass with plenty of control and impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back