The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here!
Mar 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #571 of 1,066
  OK, so exactly how long needed to burn in before they sound good?

I probably have 70-90 hours on mine so far. Currently much muddier that they've been since the start. Almost unlistenable right now.

At the very start, they sounded really promising just 10 minutes in. Nice focus on vocals and wide soundstage, but obviously new and unbalanced.

Currently, they are the worst I've heard them sound.

If some picked these up now and took that as how these phones are supposed to sound, they would walk away and never come back.

I do expect them to get better. I was under the impression that these new generation carbon nano-tube drivers didn't take that long to settle, though.

From what I'm hearing, they take longer than I thought.

What music do you listen to and what headphones do you consider better?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #572 of 1,066

From what I own my old AKG K181 DJ phones sound a bit better. They cost me $130 over 5 years ago. The burn in period was more like over 1000 hrs. I had weeks of mixed feelings. The signature is similar but the 181s have a bit more boosted ends. The highs are very AKG and have good extension and air. The 181s mids are more up front. The bass reaches deep and holds texture and more powerful than the 680s. The 181s slightly aggressive sound may cause some fatigue after hours of use and they aren't as comfortable and light as the 680s. They both are perfect for all my electronica, hip- hop, alternative.

Now while I think the 181s sound a bit better (right now) they are for home/club and not intended to be portables.
S680s are just so much more portable and more convenient and they do everything really well.
Day 2 of burn in of the 680s on my iphone 5 and the stage is now open! The separation is distinct and makes for a dimensional open stage. I noticed a peak in the treble but it seems to have smoothed over. The bass is sounding less bloated and is resolving a bit better. Did someone find this as well? A very immersive headphone on the cheap.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #573 of 1,066
Wow. These 680s are such good value. Any noob should be impressed with these from the start. Props to Ben F for staying so vigilant about these. I'm really liking mine. And they only have less than 10 hours on em.
In my few hours I have to say these are showing much promise.

This is for the guy that wanted to know the difference between the 680 and 500
S680 w/ <10hrs
S500 taped ports AKG 518 pads

My S500s are(were) my personal favorite portable. The accuracy, timbre, signature, bass, non fatiguing, light weight, efficiency, volume, and looks were all I could ever want. Or so I thought.....

VS S500:
I immediately recognized the 680s have a bigger stage. The Highs are brighter on the 680s. It gives Percussion more presence and air. It helps expand the stage. The highs on the S500 are detailed and non fatiguing but sounded rolled-off compared to the 680s.
The mids are good on both and hard to spot much difference in timbre but the S500 sounded a bit fuller from the mids on down The 680s mids were just a tad behind. The S500 could be described as tilted towards the bass and the 680s towards the highs. The sub bass on the 680s isn't quite as strong as my modded S500 but the 680s still have a respectable amount. Think S500 is to a 12" sub and S680 has an 8". Hopefully more burn in will help.

The S500s were once my champion portables but in the short time with the 680s the added stage and highs have won me over my old favorite S500s. Like many, the only complaint I had with the S500 was its lack of stage. The 680s have answered and showed me I can have better highs as well.

Gah, this makes me go back and forth on the 500's or the 680's. Is the difference in treble and soundstage that great between them? I'm really just looking for great clarity and balance between the highs, mids and lows; heavy bass isn't really of interest to me unless it's in equilibrium with the others, and the comments about the 680's having recessed mids doesn't make it sound promising.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #574 of 1,066

I listen to all kinds of music. No really beat heavy music, though. For example, I don't listen to club mix dance music. But I really do listen to wide variety of music. So I'm not a bass head. 

Generally, I like a good, emotional, communicative midrange presentation in the systems I listen to. I enjoy good texture in my system, good timbre, a sound that tends to the warm but lucid side, and is wet rather than dry. I also appreciate a rhythmic, tight, tuneful, weighty, and bouncy bass presentation. There doesn't have to an overwhelming amount of bass, just the proper amount and with those qualities. I'd say soundstaging is probably towards the bottom of my list, though I'm always really pleased when I hear phones that do that well.

What phones do I consider better than the S680? Well, as the S680 currently sounds, I say that even the cheaper S400 better. But I do expect the sound of the S680 to improve.

As far as phones in the same price range as the S680? Hmmm.... that's a tough one. Simply because I don't have a lot of phones that retail for the same price.

I would say the Creative Aurvana Live 2! is better, though it has a slightly polite sound. I also think the Audio Technica M50 is better, but it has a certain "thickness" that gets to me after a while. But those phones are almost twice as expensive as the s680.

I also think the UE6000 is a better phone so far. I got the UE6000 for around $75, so those are roughly in the same price range. 

The caveat with the UE6000 is that if I don't match it with a copasetic amp and source, it can sound a little less emotional than I prefer. But it can be really good when set up well.

As a frame of reference, I really enjoy the sound of the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 wood cup portable headphones a lot. They tend more towards the sound I enjoy. Although those, too, can run about twice as much as the S680 at the cheapest.

You can read about the ATH-ESW9 here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/524036/audio-technica-ath-esw9-and-ath-esw9a-appreciation-thread

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #575 of 1,066
  OK, so exactly how long needed to burn in before they sound good?

I probably have 70-90 hours on mine so far. Currently much muddier than they've been since the start. Almost unlistenable right now.

At the very start, they sounded really promising just 10 minutes in. Nice focus on vocals and wide soundstage, but obviously new and unbalanced.

Currently, they are the worst I've heard them sound.

If some picked these up now and took that as how these phones are supposed to sound, they would walk away and never come back.

I do expect them to get better. I was under the impression that these new generation carbon nano-tube drivers didn't take that long to settle, though.

From what I'm hearing, they take longer than I thought.

One of 2 things have happened:

1) You have overburned S680 - either burned them too long or at too high volume.
     If the drivers become too flexible, they won't produce optimal sound - just like when they are too rigid.
    My pair sounded great after 48 hours.

2) During shipping some moisture has condensated around the drivers, and dripped inside after you started using them.

I recommend to stop the burn-in, and put S680 inside a headphone case with a few silica gel packets inside earcups for 2-3 weeks.
It should solve both problems.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #576 of 1,066
I still haven't gotten a chance to purchase a Sabre DAC, just using Asus Xonar DX sound card, and my ears are now more or less used to the sound signature(since early Jan). These headphones sound great at Trip-Hop, electronic, Hip-Hop, etc. I do not understand why would anyone would want to sell these.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #577 of 1,066
Just wanted to comment since percussions were mentioned.  The last few days listening to S680 that's been the biggest thing I've noticed, they really highlight drums and any other percussion instrument.  The soundstage for these instruments is enormous.  I'm hearing things I've never heard before.. tambourines, shakers, etc.  And the vocals are very airy.  

K.T., I hope BenF's suggestions help.. it would be a real shame if your impressions of S680 end here.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #578 of 1,066
I do not understand why would anyone would want to sell these.

+1
Just wanted to comment since percussions were mentioned.  The last few days listening to S680 that's been the biggest thing I've noticed, they really highlight drums and any other percussion instrument.  The soundstage for these instruments is enormous.  I'm hearing things I've never heard before.. tambourines, shakers, etc.  And the vocals are very airy.  

Yes the stage is just as deep as it is wide. Pretty big for portables

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #579 of 1,066
Gah, this makes me go back and forth on the 500's or the 680's. Is the difference in treble and soundstage that great between them? I'm really just looking for great clarity and balance between the highs, mids and lows; heavy bass isn't really of interest to me unless it's in equilibrium with the others, and the comments about the 680's having recessed mids doesn't make it sound promising.
The mids on the 680s are all present. The balance is uncannily good. The 500s are enjoyable through dynamics alone but the 680s present it with a dimensional stage. More surround-like. Like as in a tuned surround sound system.
I've only had my 680s for < a week. I have listened closely and right now the upper bass and lower mids sound a bit bloated right now but overall they are much more refined than the 500s. Both are awesome in their own right but it's an easy choice for me. The 500s highs were great for long listening sessions but lacked the sparkle of higher end phones. The 680s get us closer to the highs. The stage on the 500 is about the size of a large closet. The 680s bring a big stage, about the size of a club.

If you wanna kick back and listen to "music" then I highly suggest the 680s. Cause you gonna have to spend a whole lot more for better.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #580 of 1,066
How are the 680's with movies? They would be plugged into my A/V receiver's headphone jack. Clamping pressure? Ear space and depth?

How is it possible for a closed can to have a large soundstage?

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #581 of 1,066
  How are the 680's with movies? They would be plugged into my A/V receiver's headphone jack. Clamping pressure? Ear space and depth?

How is it possible for a closed can to have a large soundstage?

Thanks.

They are great for movies.
They are the most comfortable on-ear ever, due to large cups. Clamping pressure is not an issue..
The large soundstage is a result of the "dynamic ports" and large cups.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #582 of 1,066
Got them in yesterday, but i first got a listen before i sent them into the burn in. As of 20 hours ago, they didn't sound as good as something competing in the 100-150 market, but i'm hopeful that it will get there. The clamping force is a little worrisome at first, but I just put them around my legs and stretched them a bit and they feel fine. They are actually over the ear for me, and if you ever get to try the over the ear momentums, they are about the same size ear cups as those. Overall, everything sounds a little muddy and distorted. 

When do you think i'll start to see some real improvements? What tracks sound amazing on these?

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #583 of 1,066
  Got them in yesterday, but i first got a listen before i sent them into the burn in. As of 20 hours ago, they didn't sound as good as something competing in the 100-150 market, but i'm hopeful that it will get there. The clamping force is a little worrisome at first, but I just put them around my legs and stretched them a bit and they feel fine. They are actually over the ear for me, and if you ever get to try the over the ear momentums, they are about the same size ear cups as those. Overall, everything sounds a little muddy and distorted. 

When do you think i'll start to see some real improvements? What tracks sound amazing on these?

If you are using the burn-in method from the first post, 48-72  hours should be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back