The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #7,726 of 8,352
Mine did not come with ANY delicious bass.
confused_face.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #7,728 of 8,352
  Yea, do you know which earpads are good? i hear the Hm5 are good but i think they are a bit big any medium size alternatives? also do you know how i open them up to mod them

The best aftermarket pads would be the WS55 pleathers. I've gone through a lot of pad-swapping and the stock pads are definitly my favorite. So, if you want my advice I say to stick to those.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #7,729 of 8,352
So I re-ordered on Amazon from a different merchant, I just got my refund. The last merchant I ordered from sold out. I'm crossing my fingers so I can get them as soon as possible!

I read some people in this thread are burning them in at high volumes with fast bassy music. So should I burn them in at max volume out of a laptop/ipod?

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #7,730 of 8,352
  So I re-ordered on Amazon from a different merchant, I just got my refund. The last merchant I ordered from sold out. I'm crossing my fingers so I can get them as soon as possible!

I read some people in this thread are burning them in at high volumes with fast bassy music. So should I burn them in at max volume out of a laptop/ipod?

No, 50 to 70 percent volume is good enough.
Burn in is placebo.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #7,732 of 8,352

Here is the burn-in procedure for S400/500/680:

1) Use https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rnrj5g0mmbldj58/ZhYIByMYOE/White-Pink-Brown%20Noise%20%28For%20burn%20in%29.wav
2) Adjust the volume so that the middle noise is too loud for comfort
3) Take the headphones off, and add another 20-30% volume
4) Keep burning 24/7
5) For the old generation CNT drivers (S400/S500), give it at least a week
    For the new generation CNT drivers (S680), 48 hours is enough

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #7,733 of 8,352
Or just put them on your head and enjoy your music... That is the best "burn-in" these need.

CNT drivers are very rigid, using music a few hours a day at normal listening volumes won't do much.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #7,735 of 8,352

No, 50 to 70 percent volume is good enough.
Burn in is placebo.

Thanks! Hmmm... I remember reading that too, so when I got my Sennheiser HD555, I didn't burn them in. I just listened to them. I've had them for at least 2 years I believe. I don't even remember them changing over time. Then again, I wasn't listening for changes as I kept using them.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #7,736 of 8,352
  The best aftermarket pads would be the WS55 pleathers. I've gone through a lot of pad-swapping and the stock pads are definitly my favorite. So, if you want my advice I say to stick to those.

I have a pair of these JVC headphones and absolutely love the sound but find them to be uncomfortable on my ears, so I'm trying to figure out if there are alternative earpads that would make them more comfortable. I'd be willing to give up a bit in SQ for better comfort.  Do the WS55 pleathers make them more comfortable (and if so by how much) or are they mainly for sound quality? Are the HM5 pads a better option for comfort and if so how much of a SQ hit is there on those compared to the WS55s? And finally, is there a post/link somewhere that describes how to replace the stock pads with different ones? Thanks in advance!

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #7,737 of 8,352

Thanks! Hmmm... I remember reading that too, so when I got my Sennheiser HD555, I didn't burn them in. I just listened to them. I've had them for at least 2 years I believe. I don't even remember them changing over time. Then again, I wasn't listening for changes as I kept using them.

Listen to it, if it sounds good than just keep listening to it, but if there's some things you don't like about the sound than let it burn, your opinion might change later on. This is what I do, even though I don't really believe in burn-in.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #7,738 of 8,352
  I have a pair of these JVC headphones and absolutely love the sound but find them to be uncomfortable on my ears, so I'm trying to figure out if there are alternative earpads that would make them more comfortable. I'd be willing to give up a bit in SQ for better comfort.  Do the WS55 pleathers make them more comfortable (and if so by how much) or are they mainly for sound quality? Are the HM5 pads a better option for comfort and if so how much of a SQ hit is there on those compared to the WS55s? And finally, is there a post/link somewhere that describes how to replace the stock pads with different ones? Thanks in advance!

WS55 pads are more comfortable, but still are too small and press to much on the ears.
HM5 pads give perfect comfort, but affect sound too much.
Anyway, why spend 30$ on just pads, when you can have HA-S680 for 81$? S680 has much bigger and much more comfortable pads:

They are still on ears for most people, but are very comfortable - more comfortable than the 52$ ESW9 pads.
I wish I didn't spend that much money on the pads...

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #7,739 of 8,352

WS55 pads are more comfortable, but still are too small and press to much on the ears.
HM5 pads give perfect comfort, but affect sound too much.
Anyway, why spend 30$ on just pads, when you can have HA-S680 for 81$? S680 has much bigger and much more comfortable pads...

Thanks, yup just ordered a pair of the ha-s680 headphones. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #7,740 of 8,352
  Thanks, yup just ordered a pair of the ha-s680 headphones. 

Another convert!

At this point at time, there is no reason to buy a 57$ S500, when 81$ gets you a S680.
The comfort alone is well worth the difference.
I can see why people may still be buying the 25$ S400 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back