The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,306 of 8,352
You know I just received the Sennheiser Momentum which costs $350.  I was listening to those most of the evening and just put the S500's on and I can't stress enough that these only cost around $80.  
eek.gif

Love the S500.  

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,307 of 8,352
Quote:

Well, you could try a pair of them S400  ...there's a differences in sound which I'm quite sure you'll be surprised by.

In my estimation, my s500 sounds better than what you describe of  the s400, best mids I have ever heard....leather pads make the difference for me!

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,308 of 8,352
You know I just received the Sennheiser Momentum which costs $350.  I was listening to those most of the evening and just put the S500's on and I can't stress enough that these only cost around $80.  :eek:

Love the S500.  

Are you straight up saying S500 > Momentum?

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,309 of 8,352
It wouldn't surprise me if the sound of the HA-S500 dynamics keep up with something like the new momentum. They beat up on my M-80s pretty good actually. The M-80s now sound completely dull to my ears in comparison. I have to admit I was tempted to check out one of those momentums myself but I am waiting to hear what the word is on the M-100s too. Let the battle of the new headphones begin. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,310 of 8,352
Quote:
Are you straight up saying S500 > Momentum?

Not at all.  I just can't justify the price when the S500 comes close sound wise.  The Momentum is definitely more refined.  Tighter bass, cleaner treble, better vocals and of course the higher price in materials.  For having only paid around $80 for the S500, it's one of the best buys out there in sound.  I feel the same way for all the FXD series iem's.  

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,311 of 8,352
Not at all.  I just can't justify the price when the S500 comes close sound wise.  The Momentum is definitely more refined.  Tighter bass, cleaner treble, better vocals and of course the higher price in materials.  For having only paid around $80 for the S500, it's one of the best buys out there in sound.  I feel the same way for all the FXD series iem's.  

Oh I get it.

Honestly I wouldn't have been completely shocked if you said yes. I don't know why but I can't stop listening to these things even over all my other stuff. You are right they are tops on value to SQ.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,313 of 8,352
Quote:
Now, I've been looking for some new cans to add to the set, so how are the 500s in terms of comfort and portability?
How about the sound? Can it be compared to the AT-M50s, or the PortaPros?
Thank you for your time.

They're awesome for portability. They fold into a pretty small size; they don't come with a carrying case unfortunately. As far as comfort goes I've never found a pair of on-ear headphones that I can wear for hours on end. That is, until I found the S500s :wink:

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #1,316 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey,

Has anyone got any real world photos of the black vs gunmetal? I can't find any photos of the black! Not sure if the black would look more classy.

These are admittedly not the best photos....but I'm no photographer. The actual flat surface of the cups is not  black like the surround that holds them in place, if you see them in the light...but I couldn't get that to show up properly in the pictures without the camera flash ruining everything....lol

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #1,318 of 8,352
Quote:
Now, I've been looking for some new cans to add to the set, so how are the 500s in terms of comfort and portability?
How about the sound? Can it be compared to the AT-M50s, or the PortaPros?
Thank you for your time.

I agree with 7S Cameron. The S500s fold up very well into a nice small package, as opposed to something more full-sized like the M50s. Definitely easier to carry around in a backpack or something like that.

Also, great sensitivity. They can get really loud very easily compared to my other phones. Definitely don't have to have a headphone amp to get some serious volume 
biggrin.gif
 However, for portability I like isolation. Because they are on ear, the S500s don't do as good a job with that as my M50s. 

In terms of SQ, I don't like them better than my M50s. The bass of the S500s, while emphasized as much (or more), is a little less defined to me (@ 150 hours of burn in). But I could see why many people would because they have a a stronger mid presence than the M50s. Really brings out the electric guitar in all kinds of rock that I've tried. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #1,319 of 8,352
Quote:
Thanks pal, is it just glossy plastic? Is the gunmetal a brushed finish compared? it seems 99% have gone for gunmetal

Well, I can't speak to the gunmetal, I haven't seen them. The outer part of the cups is certainly metal. Maybe this pic will show it a little better...the shine of the flash shows you where the metal is, I think.
(click to enlarge)

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,320 of 8,352
ah that's better :) If the black is metal I'm happy :) Here's to hoping they ship quickly!

Wonder how they'll compare to my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 and Beyer Dynamic DT770-80 (both of which are in long term storage due to a mistake when packing, hence buying a pair of cheaper cans to do me until i get them back)

Tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back