The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #1,981 of 8,352
Okay time to beat the ear pad horse some more :deadhorse:

I got in my ESW9 after market pleather pads or the "ATH Leathers" as they have been referred to in this thread. I like them better than any pad I have tried other than the HD25 pleather pads and I wanted to put my immediate impressions/comparrison.

HD25 Pleather Pads vs. ESW9 Pleather

Comfort: ESW9 wins by a long shot. Softer, larger circumfrence, better seal without wiggling them around to find the right fit.

Bass: My first thought was wow these have been made into bass canons. But after listening more closely the ESW9 pads have more bass impact by a decent margin but the bass also extends better. In comparrison the HD25 get's a bit "one note'y" if you will and doesn't hit the low bass extension the ESW9 gets. I think the quantiy of the HD25 is more desireable and not as overpowering. For certain bass critical songs the ESW9 pads are a lot more fun to listen to and hit all the notes better.

Mids: The HD25 win this race by a long shot. While listening to Hotel California live and Layla by EC I had to strain to hear the details I was used to hearing in the very up front sounding acoustic guitars while using the HD25 pads. EC's voice had gone way to the back of the "room" with the ESW9 while with the HD25 he was right there up front. The ESW9 really makes the mids and lower mids sound distant in comparrison.

Highs: Again the highs with the ESW9 sound more that of what you would expect of a true V shaped phone. Lots of detail but more distant. The highs are more upfront with the 25's but very slightly "veiled" in comparrison.

Soundstage: The ESW9 by far have a wider and deeper soundstage yet at the sacrafice of the feeling that aspects of the music are "distant" as described above.

My conclusion is that the ESW9 pads would be most desireable for those looking for lower bass extension and impact while the HD25 would accomodate those who want a more forward midrange and vocals that pop better. Personally I do prefer the 25's still but I can see myself actually switching to get a change of pace with different music to the ESW9's whereas with the other pads that I have tried, I don't see me putting them on again.

That's just my initial impressions and are subject to change. If anyone cares at this point :)

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,982 of 8,352
Quote:

A DAC is just a digital to analog converter. It's not supposed to have a volume control. That's what a headphone amp is for, to take the signal from the DAC and reduce and/or amplify it louder with more power. The Phoenix is just a DAC and headphone amp rolled into one. 

Since the UD100 is apparently a pretty good DAC, then it's probably the SQ of the headphone amp for the Phoenix vs the E11 that would be the major difference, if any. 

I haven't got the chance to properly test other amps, I had tried the Graham Slee Solo, Hippo CriCri, and the HippoBox+. I cannot properly compare sonic changes without A/B, though I must say I can't 'feel' significant differences between them.

Also, after how many hours will the headphone stop changing sonically? Mine could be over 40-50 hours of burning in and a week plus of normal listening.
Quote:
The phoenix is calling you man...

Don't taze tempt me bro.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #1,984 of 8,352
I feel giddy. 2 pairs of ATH velours on the way. S500 and S400 on the way too.
Should receive the headphones early next week. As for the velours I'm guessing it will be a long wait.

The ATH pleathers you guys were talking about... is the following link the correct one?
http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Ear-Pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/251160088897?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a7a4ed141

If yes I might pick up 2 pairs too.

Anyways, anyone had a chance to try the Noontec Zoro? They seem quite close to the S500s with slightly larger stage.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,985 of 8,352
Quote:
I feel giddy. 2 pairs of ATH velours on the way. S500 and S400 on the way too.
Should receive the headphones early next week. As for the velours I'm guessing it will be a long wait.
The ATH pleathers you guys were talking about... is the following link the correct one?
http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Ear-Pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/251160088897?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a7a4ed141
If yes I might pick up 2 pairs too.
Anyways, anyone had a chance to try the Noontec Zoro? They seem quite close to the S500s with slightly larger stage.

Those are the pads recommend to me for my HA-S500-Z (only two weeks left until they arrive).

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #1,986 of 8,352
Quote:
That's just my initial impressions and are subject to change. If anyone cares at this point
smily_headphones1.gif

I for one care Doc :)  Thanks for the impressions!

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #1,988 of 8,352
Quote:
Okay time to beat the ear pad horse some more
deadhorse.gif

I got in my ESW9 after market pleather pads or the "ATH Leathers" as they have been referred to in this thread. I like them better than any pad I have tried other than the HD25 pleather pads and I wanted to put my immediate impressions/comparrison.
HD25 Pleather Pads vs. ESW9 Pleather
Comfort: ESW9 wins by a long shot. Softer, larger circumfrence, better seal without wiggling them around to find the right fit.
Bass: My first thought was wow these have been made into bass canons. But after listening more closely the ESW9 pads have more bass impact by a decent margin but the bass also extends better. In comparrison the HD25 get's a bit "one note'y" if you will and doesn't hit the low bass extension the ESW9 gets. I think the quantiy of the HD25 is more desireable and not as overpowering. For certain bass critical songs the ESW9 pads are a lot more fun to listen to and hit all the notes better.
Mids: The HD25 win this race by a long shot. While listening to Hotel California live and Layla by EC I had to strain to hear the details I was used to hearing in the very up front sounding acoustic guitars while using the HD25 pads. EC's voice had gone way to the back of the "room" with the ESW9 while with the HD25 he was right there up front. The ESW9 really makes the mids and lower mids sound distant in comparrison.
Highs: Again the highs with the ESW9 sound more that of what you would expect of a true V shaped phone. Lots of detail but more distant. The highs are more upfront with the 25's but very slightly "veiled" in comparrison.
Soundstage: The ESW9 by far have a wider and deeper soundstage yet at the sacrafice of the feeling that aspects of the music are "distant" as described above.
My conclusion is that the ESW9 pads would be most desireable for those looking for lower bass extension and impact while the HD25 would accomodate those who want a more forward midrange and vocals that pop better. Personally I do prefer the 25's still but I can see myself actually switching to get a change of pace with different music to the ESW9's whereas with the other pads that I have tried, I don't see me putting them on again.
That's just my initial impressions and are subject to change. If anyone cares at this point
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you mind doing a comparison like this to the stock pads and/or the HD25 Velours vs the ATH Leathers? I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #1,989 of 8,352
Thanks guys. Glad it is of use. @s7cameron sure but i dont know if i can do it today. There are also several other people who have posted on those that you can check although i dont know how many direct comparrisons.

And yes rg-tom the hd25 pads do have the added benefit of coming in a most bitchen electric blue! :)

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,991 of 8,352
Try out the ATH pleathers. I think they have a great combo of sound and comfort. I like the cushioning material in them much better. Softer as well as a bit wider. I am a fan of this configuration. I hope someone at JVC reads this thread. They need to get a proper pad on that. I would pay extra for a proper pad config on the HA-S500.  If you have medium to smaller ears will be semi circumaural. They sound great on the HAS-500. Velours are another option. 

Appreciate JupiterKnight for getting the HA-S500 to Tyll. Good looking out for certain.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,992 of 8,352

Greetings fellow headfi's, I have been following this thread for a while now since I have been searching for a good portable headphone. I mentioned this model to a friend of mine in Tokyo and he was nice enough to buy me a pair as a gift and send them to me! I have been braking them in for a week now. Very very fun headphone. The low end extension is really impressive. They absolutely require brake-in though. The mids and high end is pretty nice after a 150+ hours. I find I am using a little EQ for the first time to cut the low end a tad so I can enjoy the mids better. I wish the bass extended this deep on my HD650's!

I am thinking of getting HD25 Velour's to improve comfort and hopefully open up the sound stage a bit. I wouldn't mind losing a little low end (quantity not depth). I also would be interested in a comparison with the stock pads before I order the Sennheiser velour’s.

A BIG thank you to everyone for all your posts and for introducing me to these fantastic little headphones!

Arthur

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,993 of 8,352
Quote:
Greetings fellow headfi's, I have been following this thread for a while now since I have been searching for a good portable headphone. I mentioned this model to a friend of mine in Tokyo and he was nice enough to buy me a pair as a gift and send them to me! I have been braking them in for a week now. Very very fun headphone. The low end extension is really impressive. They absolutely require brake-in though. The mids and high end is pretty nice after a 150+ hours. I find I am using a little EQ for the first time to cut the low end a tad so I can enjoy the mids better. I wish the bass extended this deep on my HD650's!

I am thinking of getting HD25 Velour's to improve comfort and hopefully open up the sound stage a bit. I wouldn't mind losing a little low end (quantity not depth). I also would be interested in a comparison with the stock pads before I order the Sennheiser velour’s.

A BIG thank you to everyone for all your posts and for introducing me to these fantastic little headphones!

Arthur

Lol. I thought you was a new member Lol. Hope you can join us for the first Nanoclip party. Play with our nanoclip night. Maybe for Halloween. People have new monster avatar.

Anyone game?  Get the ATh pleathers..It will surprise you how it will sound with them. The velours are so comfy and sound good too. I like em all for one reason or another.  But the pleathers still tops for sound and while not as comfy as velours they are much more comfy than stock pads and wider.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,995 of 8,352
The blue ones really are nice looking.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back