The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,846 of 8,352
Oh. boy... not the pads subject again... Im gunna say HD25 pleather pads for best sound and improved (but not best) comfort. For sure the velour pads we had all tried are most comfy but to me it just removes that beautiful bass impact and lower mids are gone... IMO.. Not worth the trade off but the pleather of the HD25 is a wider pad and feels better on my melon than the stock. I personally haven't tried these ESW9 pleathers that a lot of guys like but they are in the mail.

Edit: Just saw DS's post. Let me translate for you..... "ATH Leathers" = After market pleather ESW9 pads from ebay :beyersmile:

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #1,847 of 8,352
Quote:
I don't know if JVC will bring out a 50mm Carbon Nantube headphone. BUT.. And I say but as I am about the show you guys the next best thing. These will be costly but I do plan on getting one. I don't know if you guys been reading up on these as they will be Sony's newest very soon.

This is Sonys new MDR-1RNC.. Using Liquid Polymer film diaphragms. Yes another Japanese company using space age drivers. These should have some similar properties to JVCs. I passed on the Denons and might pass on the M-100 for these instead..

Look forward to see what you think about the Fire Phoenix Rickdohc. USB should be fine. Just make sure you have a couple on hand just in case the one they give you is poop like they sent me.

I think these seems like the most underrated headphones interest-wise in the "mid-fi portable battlewars" pre-launch, the FR even measures extremely well with nothing missing, reasonably emphasized bass with punchy snappy bass and extremely well balanced mids & highs. Ultimately it will come down to imaging and soundstage, resonances etc, but FR-wise we know it's already very good.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,848 of 8,352
Ya they did some serious sound tweeking on these headphones. Made sure nothing is missing and then there are the drivers which should equate to one beautiful sound. I look forward to them. If I sell off enough of my headphones I am leaning toward the NC version. That would be awesome where I work.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #1,849 of 8,352
Hey ds have you ever tried on the cityscape uptowns?..... I tried them on yesterday but had no audio source on me. Super comfy..

40mm driver.... pricey for a transplant but really nice looking and feeling build.

Might give that one a go when I get back from europe next month.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,850 of 8,352
Ya pretty good is the word on them new philips but to be honest I have my money stashed away for these new Sonys. I checked out a vid online about what they did to get the sound tuning right for them. Sonys top engineers as well as producers in the music industry.. I am sold and look forward to them more than the overly hyped. Well so far at least M100s.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,851 of 8,352
It would be an expensive risk to swap drivers with the s500 but they were just soooo comfy. i thought my dt990 premiums felt nice before.. not anymore.

It is probably actually not fair to make a comfort judgement when i did't get to wear them for more than a few minutes, but they did a good job on the design IMO.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,852 of 8,352
Quote:
Ya pretty good is the word on them new philips but to be honest I have my money stashed away for these new Sonys. I checked out a vid online about what they did to get the sound tuning right for them. Sonys top engineers as well as producers in the music industry.. I am sold and look forward to them more than the overly hyped. Well so far at least M100s.

link?

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,855 of 8,352
I might just go for the standard version and save me the money.. That is more money I can throw down on another new headphone. There seems to be some nice new ones coming around the corner form AT as well. Gotta save a bit here and there and sell off some older stuff.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #1,856 of 8,352
Well, my HD25 velours finally are here. Putting them on was easier than I expected, and the comfort is a big upgrade.....no more sweaty ears! Audio memory isn't good enough for me to really to say how they sound compared to the stock pads.....I would need two pair of S500's to be able to accurately compare.  But  I just put on Eric Clapton Unplugged in ALAC, and I can still say I am very happy with the sound.
L3000.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,859 of 8,352
Well, my HD25 velours finally are here. Putting them on was easier than I expected, and the comfort is a big upgrade.....no more sweaty ears! Audio memory isn't good enough for me to really to say how they sound compared to the stock pads.....I would need two pair of S500's to be able to accurately compare.  But  I just put on Eric Clapton Unplugged in ALAC, and I can still say I am very happy with the sound.:L3000:

You can do a mini-test by putting one pad on one side vs. anothe pad on the other. Then turn the cups both the same direction and switch back and forth listening on the same ear in a quiet room. I was suprised how many differences I could pick out when testing in this manner between two sounds on the same 'phone.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,860 of 8,352
Quote:
You can do a mini-test by putting one pad on one side vs. anothe pad on the other. Then turn the cups both the same direction and switch back and forth listening on the same ear in a quiet room. I was suprised how many differences I could pick out when testing in this manner between two sounds on the same 'phone.

Seems to me that wouldn't be a fair comparison unless you had a mono recording....because of the different information in the two channels. Either way, I'm content.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back