The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,816 of 8,352
Quote:
I would love to do a test if I can get my hands on one. I tend to think that the e11 will improve your sound experience on both models but I don't doubt that it is possible the clip can outperform a 4th gen touch or 6th classic. Maybe someone at work has one.

I have a ipod classic 6th gen and a ipod nano 4th gen and that little clip sure has out performed those iproducts with simple EQ after it has been rockboxed. Can't believe how much volume/ power comes out of that little sucka, hence I am using it to burn my carbon nanotube IEMs on extremely high volumes and its been working pretty good.  

Cools Doc looks like you are in the clippey club now as well, you are gonna have trouble keeping track of all your memberships. ha But the S500 club is > ALL. hmmmm.... The "S500 Club" got a good ring to it, not bad not bad....

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,818 of 8,352
Quote:
Sansa clip+ .....19.99
8gb card.... 3.99.
Being a member of the "Clippey Club"....... priceless....

The "Clippey S500 Club" to be precise. ha 
beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #1,819 of 8,352
Quote:
The "Clippey S500 Club" to be precise. ha 
beerchug.gif

In less then I week I will have the equipment to join the "Clippey S500 Club", maybe someone should start up a dedicated thread for the "Clippey S500 Club", for me to join.
Maybe a better name is the "Clippey S400/S500 Club", I would think we would not want to discriminate against HA-S400 users.
Maybe someone comes up with a better name?
Which sub-section on Head-Fi would be best for a thread like this?

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,820 of 8,352
Quote:
haha I just noticed that it only goes up to positive 6 dbs, damn you are scaring me now. 
triportsad.gif
  Yeah I normally listen to my music on the clip + with zero bass/ trebel boosts and volume at lower 20s dbs for IEMs but was messing around with it on my S500s to get that lush bassy FX40 sound and that setting was gold for me.  Well I turn it down to -14 sometimes when the music is really well mastered but it's on -13 for most of the time, am I going deaf??? ahahahahaha

What volume do you set your sansa when listening with your S500s with no amp?  For me when the volume is on lower 20 db is too thin/ soft. So it has to be in the lowered to 16 to 13 to get the right sound. Trying it now on zero treble/ bass and on volume -13 sounds like my ipod classic/ nano, kinda thin in sound, not enough body.  Damn you have me crazy concerned now. ha  

-25 to -20 is good enough for me, in a quiet room, except for an occasional favorite song I might go up to -17.
Quote:
4th gen. I notice the same improvement when using my 6th gen classic too.

If you're using an LOD with your iPods, that could explain the difference...because the LOD bypasses the internal amp of the ipod. For me, the biggest benefit of the E11 when I use it with my Classic 7G is that I don't have to control my volume with the clickwheel. I never had an LOD when I had my 4th gen Touch, but I always thought the headphone-out sounded pretty good...especially after adding the Equalizer app.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #1,821 of 8,352
Quote:
LoL the Fff is with all these star trek avatars? Must be that time of the month again eh

Check the link in my sig.
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,822 of 8,352
Quote:
In less then I week I will have the equipment to join the "Clippey S500 Club", maybe someone should start up a dedicated thread for the "Clippey S500 Club", for me to join.
Maybe a better name is the "Clippey S400/S500 Club", I would think we would not want to discriminate against HA-S400 users.
Maybe someone comes up with a better name?
Which sub-section on Head-Fi would be best for a thread like this?

Those lowly S400ers are not worthy of our elite clippey membership. Those slackers are always too late to the party, just waits and waits for that JVC handout, while we take charge and go that extra mileage. Damn son that $$$ Jpn shipping fee hurts so much. We earned this, let those lowlys be outside in the cold while we Clippey party up in herrrrrr!!! 
biggrin.gif

@Achmedisdead, yeppp that's similar to the volume I listen to WITH MY IEMs LoL, these S500 needs more juice for me as with FXD-70s as well. Pray for me meng, I might be going deaf soon, I can't stop listening to my S500s without those setting, it's like musical crack, one hit and you hooked fo' life.

Yeah i figured it was that funky club you'll are in, wonder what that hot jpn chick Kiteki's will be ha.  Probably a smokin' skin tight pic of "her" in that star trek suit ahahahahaha. HOT!
wink_face.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,823 of 8,352
Currently on the S500....

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #1,825 of 8,352
Currently I use my Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Poweramp for my music. Does anyone know how the sound quality of the clip compares? The only reason I ask is because my phone has 32gb of internal memory and no slot for an SD card. It won't take me long to fill because most of my music is in FLAC format. Sound quality is important to me, so if the clip sounds about as good then I'll definitely pick one up.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #1,826 of 8,352
I have been looking around and reading a lot of reviews as I am going to get my first pair of headphones in years. I don't want to spend a lot and have narrowed my choice down to these JVC's which seem great, and the Panasonic RP-HTF600s. I listen to a broad range of music but really am looking for something that is engaging and enjoyable  as opposed to highly accurate. The Panasonics can be had quite a bit cheaper than the JVC's....so which do you rate higher for tonal quality and sheer musical enjoyment. I'm a little worried about the JVC's being on ear as I remeber using this style in the past and it made my ears ache after a while, but if they are much supperior sounding then I would be convinced. Thanks for any advice.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #1,827 of 8,352
Hmmm....very interested in these now.  They appear to have everything I want in a headphone EXCEPT that they are on ear.  However, I was wondering how they would compare to my ath-esw9's.  I have not exactly been blown away with these cans, however, as the esw9's are also on ear, and yet they just do not seem to seal well.  What is the seal on the ear like with these?  Do they block external sound well enough?  Don't remember reading if this was discussed yet.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #1,828 of 8,352
Quote:
Ya you are late to the pad party. We got more than the stock pads these come with going on. We first tried some velours. Sennheiser HD25 velours fit but not the best optimal sound from them. Then there was the ATH velours bought on ebay. Flattens the bass end.  Then there is the HD25 pleathers which clears up the mids form the HD velours and then there was the ATH leathers which ends up sounding perfect as it will get. 

We are experimenting with different pads. Yes sound tuning through pads. Each pads brings a different sound to the HA-S500. They all sound pretty good to my ears but some change the stock sound much more than others. The ATH leathers opens up the sound channel. Lessens the bass a bit with a bit mid forward sound which ends up sounding fantastic. I think you will enjoy these headphones as all of us have. This pad swap is just extra. And the Sony headphones were a recent find. The idea of a open HA-S500 driver swap.

It isn't because the stock sound or build is bad per se. We just feel there is enormous potential for something even greater with these carbon nanotubes.

Well and concise said.

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,829 of 8,352
Quote:
I have been looking around and reading a lot of reviews as I am going to get my first pair of headphones in years. I don't want to spend a lot and have narrowed my choice down to these JVC's which seem great, and the Panasonic RP-HTF600s. I listen to a broad range of music but really am looking for something that is engaging and enjoyable  as opposed to highly accurate. The Panasonics can be had quite a bit cheaper than the JVC's....so which do you rate higher for tonal quality and sheer musical enjoyment. I'm a little worried about the JVC's being on ear as I remeber using this style in the past and it made my ears ache after a while, but if they are much supperior sounding then I would be convinced. Thanks for any advice.

The Panas are good headphones for the price, but no where near the S500.   if you, i would spend the xtra bucks and get the S500.
They are much superior and worth the ache, or you change to a better pads for more comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back