The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #19,981 of 22,392
Yeah. I'll get used to it. Then A-B in a week or two. Realizing what you don't have is a real thing for sure. Because when I put on my old HD560s I'm like "damn this thing sucks in almost every conceivable sense. No amount of electronics will "add" to what it wasn't doing.
I mean, I will add that a lot of this stuff is mental as much as it is technical. Diminishing returns sure, but a lot of the time the perceived sound quality can be greatly reduced if I'm not in the mindset to actually enjoy the music I'm listening to.

There's a reason so much snake oil exists in this field, and it's because you can't really listen to music without feeling it. Being in the space to feel it comes and goes, sometimes without much cause. Sure, you can listen to the noises and figure out the difference in fidelity. But the noise has to become music for the magnitude of difference to become apparent.

Every pair of headphones, and every piece of equipment I've ever had either sounded "meh" or sounded great at some point.

Placebo, mental biases, mood and mindset are all playing a key role in music quality. I'm sure you probably know this already, but I figure I'd share my two cents on why you should give it some time. The best way to listen is not when you are thinking about how much money you've spent on it and how it should sound, haha

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #19,982 of 22,392
Yes absolutely, with my mind at ease knowing I have a pretty good system, I'm no longer searching or wondering "what does better sound like? How much will X improve if I add this in the system?" No more doubts or suspicions clouding over what should be a good session. Now that the system's here and I can listen easy knowing I have everything. That's where the enjoyment and appreciation came come in. I've seen a lot of people continually chase whatever new thing came out and never really sat back and listened to how good their system was already. Don't kid yourself, trust that it's already good.

I couldn't stack the GT on top. The bottom of it would become burning hot, so I increased airflow by propping it up with some foam I cut up from the Gustard packaging. It's ghetto, but the important part is that it keeps it cool, and costed nothing. I would need to buy longer XLRs and some sort of stand or rack, and that's on ice for awhile.

Attachments

• ERU_Fdx6.jpg
    ERU_Fdx6.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 16, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #19,983 of 22,392
Yes absolutely, with my mind at ease knowing I have a pretty good system, I'm no longer searching or wondering "what does better sound like? How much will X improve if I add this in the system?" No more doubts or suspicions clouding over what should be a good session. Now that the system's here and I can listen easy knowing I have everything. That's where the enjoyment and appreciation came come in. I've seen a lot of people continually chase whatever new thing came out and never really sat back and listened to how good their system was already. Don't kid yourself, trust that it's already good.

I couldn't stack the GT on top. The bottom of it would become burning hot, so I increased airflow by propping it up with some foam I cut up from the Gustard packaging. It's ghetto, but the important part is that it keeps it cool, and costed nothing. I would need to buy longer XLRs and some sort of stand or rack, and that's on ice for awhile.
You might want to try using Mapleshade Isoblocks (multi-layer rubber-cork laminate) for 36.00. They should work well and make it look much better than the foam.

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #19,984 of 22,392
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #19,986 of 22,392
You might want to try using Mapleshade Isoblocks (multi-layer rubber-cork laminate) for 36.00. They should work well and make it look much better than the foam.
I agree that multi-layer rubber-cork-cork laminate can be effective and look much better than the foam he is using. However, if you're stacking components and using the rubber-cork-rubber isolation blocks, use cut out felt, mylar or something that won't stain your components on top and bottom of the blocks. I use a cork rubber devices under my Butcher Block Acoustics maple turntable plinth. When I moved my turntable to rearrange my components and happened to look at the underside of my maple plinth, I saw black stains where the rubber made contact with the maple wood. Since the stains are on the underside of my plinth, it's no big deal but I would be upset if the stains were on the top of my component. Just a word of caution about using Isoblocks, sorbathane or anything else that may leave stains.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #19,987 of 22,392
I agree that multi-layer rubber-cork-cork laminate can be effective and look much better than the foam he is using. However, if you're stacking components and using the rubber-cork-rubber isolation blocks, use cut out felt, mylar or something that won't stain your components on top and bottom of the blocks. I use a cork rubber devices under my Butcher Block Acoustics maple turntable plinth. When I moved my turntable to rearrange my components and happened to look at the underside of my maple plinth, I saw black stains where the rubber made contact with the maple wood. Since the stains are on the underside of my plinth, it's no big deal but I would be upset if the stains were on the top of my component. Just a word of caution about using Isoblocks, sorbathane or anything else that may leave stains.
Good to know. I would think on an aluminum housing or metal housing it should rub off easily. Wood is absorptive. I did not realize they did that.

Myrtle wood blocks might also work, but not absorptive. They will isolate and not leave a residue. Something else inexpensive to try.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #19,988 of 22,392
Good to know. I would think on an aluminum housing or metal housing it should rub off easily. Wood is absorptive. I did not realize they did that.

Myrtle wood blocks might also work, but not absorptive. They will isolate and not leave a residue. Something else inexpensive to try.
Unfortunately the stains from rubber or sorbathane are not easily removed from aluminum or steel cases. I know from experience. It's not a big problem if you're aware of it. Just buy some felt pads from an arts and crafts store or Amazon and cut out the shape required. You can use a small piece of double sticky tape to keep the felt from moving around.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #19,989 of 22,392
I've been using Herbie's https://herbiesaudiolab.com/ products for years without issues.

The FAQ states "Our silicone-based products do not ooze or leave a residue. They they do not stiffen and crack over the years like rubber or squish out of shape like some footers. They'll be just as good as new for a lifetime and longer."

I've used and reused them over and over with no issues. And, do read their FAQ.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #19,990 of 22,392
I've been using Herbie's https://herbiesaudiolab.com/ products for years without issues.

The FAQ states "Our silicone-based products do not ooze or leave a residue. They they do not stiffen and crack over the years like rubber or squish out of shape like some footers. They'll be just as good as new for a lifetime and longer."

I've used and reused them over and over with no issues. And, do read their FAQ.
Thanks for the link. The prices look pretty good as well. Tks.

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #19,991 of 22,392
Anyone know where to get a urethane o-ring kit? Trying to find a cheaper kit on Amazon but seem to be Nitrile etc. I don't want them breaking all the time.

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #19,993 of 22,392
Dms is officially at The Headphone Show. Nothing new from Abyss on YouTube this week. How does the future look?
Not following what has been going on, but is DMS out of Abyss now or doing both? He added tons to Abyss' YT presence.

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #19,994 of 22,392
I read that there is no longer a wooden box included. Could someone who recently bought a PHI TC and didn't get a wooden box post some photos or make an unboxing video. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if DMS has left Abyss or is doing both, so I asked.

Apr 18, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #19,995 of 22,392
I read that there is no longer a wooden box included. Could someone who recently bought a PHI TC and didn't get a wooden box post some photos or make an unboxing video. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if DMS has left Abyss or is doing both, so I asked.
Yikes

If true I guess mine just went up in value

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back