The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #19,966 of 22,391
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #19,968 of 22,391
Every once in a while, it is worth stating the obvious (or perhaps it's just my take on it :)) ... the best headphones system really depends on the music.

Just as an example, with this:

1649957301241.png

the Valkyria very literally slashes the AB-1266 to death, while with this:

1649957524214.png

is about the other way around.

Speaking of absolute bests in hifi is not only desperately subjective, but also trying to hit a moving target IMO.

Luckily, one big plus of head-fi over 2 channel is just the option of having multiple setups at hand btw.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #19,969 of 22,391
Every once in a while, it is worth stating the obvious (or perhaps it's just my take on it :)) ... the best headphones system really depends on the music.

1649957301241.png

1649957524214.png

Speaking of absolute bests in hifi is not only desperately subjective, but also trying to hit a moving target IMO.

Luckily, one big plus of head-fi over 2 channel is just the option of having multiple setups at hand btw.
Huge fan of gogo penguin

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #19,970 of 22,391

1649957301241.png

1649957524214.png

Anyone else always feel that most of the things Simorag says always sound like really well articulated poetry and always hits it RIGHT on the nail?

Thanks for reminding me about gogo penguin, my dear friend John Litig put me on them!

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #19,972 of 22,391
Got a somewhat respectable stack now consisting of the TC, gustard x26pro dac and burston GT amp and honestly I can't hear a difference compared to, let's say my phone.

The biggest change was the amp, and even that was really small. I ran a 3.5mm to dual RCA from my Asus monitor to my Burson GT and that seemed to change the way the bass sounded. More clean with a very slight boost in the deepest parts of the bass. Not a huge change, but that's one of the only things I noticed. The cleanliness of the bass.

Now do away with the monitor and in it's place we have the gustard DAC and really I don't hear much difference. Running the TC right out of the monitor sounds like 95% the same. I'll have more volume from the amp but it was already going deep and loud before from monitor's 3.5mm out. Guess I've hit my ceiling as a listener.

And with the TC changing its sound depending on temperature and how it sits on your head, being a glasses user I am, I find it really hard to pinpoint what part of the chain is responsible for what I hear.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #19,973 of 22,391
you listen to your TC out of your phone?..seriously?

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #19,974 of 22,391
Yeah, when I first had it 2 months ago and nothing to use it on. Even on that it still sounded better than everything, including the Clear and V2 off of actual amps. But that doesn't matter now.

I'm under the impression you'll only see a real difference in performance if you have truly summit fi equipment, but to call myself unsatisfied with what I hear now would be quite a statement. It's great, I guess my expectations were too high. We're in the dimishing returns price range anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #19,975 of 22,391
good luck

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #19,976 of 22,391
Got a somewhat respectable stack now consisting of the TC, gustard x26pro dac and burston GT amp and honestly I can't hear a difference compared to, let's say my phone.

The biggest change was the amp, and even that was really small. I ran a 3.5mm to dual RCA from my Asus monitor to my Burson GT and that seemed to change the way the bass sounded. More clean with a very slight boost in the deepest parts of the bass. Not a huge change, but that's one of the only things I noticed. The cleanliness of the bass.

Now do away with the monitor and in it's place we have the gustard DAC and really I don't hear much difference. Running the TC right out of the monitor sounds like 95% the same. I'll have more volume from the amp but it was already going deep and loud before from monitor's 3.5mm out. Guess I've hit my ceiling as a listener.

And with the TC changing its sound depending on temperature and how it sits on your head, being a glasses user I am, I find it really hard to pinpoint what part of the chain is responsible for what I hear.
Take some time to enjoy your new setup and don't stress too much about being able to hear a difference or not. If it's your first time getting a full desktop setup it may take some getting used to. I remember getting my first 5k tube amp and thinking it sounded exactly the same as my laptop output, just more power and didn't have to turn up the volume so much.

Spend a good week listening continuously, not A/B'ing the two setups every minute or something, then switch back to your phone, you may be surprised. For many instances with high end gear, I found the best way to appreciate and notice improvements is actually when it's taken away, not added.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #19,977 of 22,391
Yeah. I'll get used to it. Then A-B in a week or two. Realizing what you don't have is a real thing for sure. Because when I put on my old HD560s I'm like "damn this thing sucks in almost every conceivable sense. No amount of electronics will "add" to what it wasn't doing.

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #19,978 of 22,391
Apr 16, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #19,979 of 22,391

I totally agree on your observation. I also listen to Susvara and 1266 from mid-fi amps as the difference to summit-fi amps is not audible for me. Especially not if blind tested. At least it's good for your wallet, if you know that :) But the 1266 itself sounds much better than all the other headphones :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back