The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #18,932 of 22,374
I’ve also experienced pretty poor customer support from the cable company but I didn’t go on public forums and call out the manufacturers to do something about it.

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #18,933 of 22,374
But if Abyss goes out to defend the cable company in such a way as “we trust them, crap happens, move on” is a big f*ck you to the person isn’t it. Obviously this isn’t Abyss’ fault, but I’m surprised they handled it like a caricature of a rude waitress from a diner in the middle of nowhere instead of a company that presents itself as the Ferrari of headphones.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #18,934 of 22,374
Are we here to talk about the equipment or our feelings?

If you hate them that much, burn your 1266 as an effigy, that will show them.

So I just got a pair of TC's (I know, I know), but I'm finding bass sounds like farts. Like, really bad. Treble and mids sound fine. I'm also hearing a metallic vibration in the frame that triggers when the right tone is hit in the right ear. Don't know how to describe it but it's like something is on the driver and vibrating. I've tried a variety of positions and ear cup configurations. I can hear potential but something is clearly not right.

Is my v281 completely unable to drive these or something? Or is there an issue with this set? Trying them out with this track

and it's a hot mess

Editing response.

Just saw your pics with the damage. Pretty crappy condition. Who knows what damage was done.

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #18,937 of 22,374
@PhilipB they say between 50-70hrs.

I am in the process of doing this now myself as I just purchased a week ago.

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #18,938 of 22,374
How long - if at all - do people recommend burning these in for? Are they already in their final form out of the box, or can I expect them to evolve over time? Thanks.
They change with use. They only do a 30 hour qc burn in. Things will change when you don't expect it. They say 70 hours when changes will start to happen. Joe explained that the diaphragm is very tight when stretched and needs time to loosen up. I've heard it on a previous unit. It was noticable as music sounded more coherent. Imaging became more realistic. Treble smoothed out bass notes hit more solid. If you are going to burn them in use something like a book to stop the diaphragm from extending beyond the point it's supposed to.

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #18,940 of 22,374
Update - All issues have been cleared up with The Cable Company and they're taking care of me.

I'm still hurting about not being able to A/B them with the LCD-5's, but oh well. I'll be making a decision on the LCD-5's today but almost certainly will be ordering the 1266TC's by end of year.

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #18,944 of 22,374
We are approaching the 1266th page...
Yeah! Some kind of international virtual TC party would be priceless on the day the page count hits 1266, especially if everyone appears on zoom wearing their 1266 TCs for the occasion.. A TC-Jam or TC virtual canjam or whatever's appropriate...

A shot like the one below with everyone wearing a TC would be nothing short of totally nuts and bonkers, not to mention absolutely goofy and hilarious! One for the history books, I'm thinking, if someone can pull it off :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: ... I'm betting we would not need any music to make it fun

image-asset.png

Okay, I am kidding, but only halfway kidding....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back